Fitzalan Square

Sheffield History

Guest Jeremy

The tower was part of the Fitzalan Market Hall, which was built in 1786 and demolished in 1930. The angle of the photograph makes it look taller and closer than it really is. It can also be seen in this photo from the Francis Frith collection. I'm going to take a wild guess that the stuff on top of the tower has something to do with the telegraph system.

The trams in the picture are 'Rocker Panel' cars, which where mostly introduced in the 1920s. So I guess that, confirms the guess from the ladies fashion that the photo is from the 1920s.

Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy , another mystery solved. That's what great about this site, everybody pooling their knowledge at the same time as expanding their own.

Good stuff - I'd never seen that tower before in any pictures so it came as a surprise to see it staring at me when I saw the picture earlier !

Guest Jeremy

Just in case you're interested, the contraption on top of the tower probably was something to do with the telegraph. From Martin Olive's Central Sheffield (ISBN 0-7524-0011-8) p. 36: "It [the Fitzalan Market Hall, or Shambles] had been redesigned for the Duke of Norfolk in 1856 with the Exchange News Rooms and Telegraph office on the upper floor."

Jeremy

Regards the door, from what I remember its just a sheet metal door built into the wall at the very top of the hill (under Fitzalan Square). Also I'm almost sure that Bakers Hill still has its cobbles.

I will get you a photo this weekend, parked cars permitting.

I am sure I have read somewhere else that the door is the entrace to what used to be a lift up to the Square. When I was a kid I recall seeing, at the top of the steps where the lift would have emerged, the remains of a stone flag surround which would have been exactly over the top of the lift shaft .

I am sure I have read somewhere else that the door is the entrace to what used to be a lift up to the Square. When I was a kid I recall seeing, at the top of the steps where the lift would have emerged, the remains of a stone flag surround which would have been exactly over the top of the lift shaft .

Yep - remembered where I saw the article - was on the 'other' Sheffield Forum - mentioend a couple of times. Looks like it was always breaking down - so thats probably the reason it was removed - certainly dont remember it when I was a kid back in the fifties - but on the other forum they do have some quite senior citizens posting so they may recall something if someone asks.

Hi fellow SH's just found this post card of Fitzalan Square take note of the reverse side with the coment from the Prime Minister and the Postal restrictions .

Also in the Square was the GEC Magnet House, nearly every large city in the country had a Magnet House, it was first about where Wigfalls was, GEC then moved across the square to the white building and that became Magnet House.

GEC moved out in the early 60,s closing down most of the city centre offices and moving to the new fangled large industrial Estates like Trafford Park in Manchester.

Was there an "Elephant" related public house near here ? Of course there was, picture to follow, anyone any memories of it ?

Nice Elephant picture :rolleyes: I'd completely forgotten I'd asked the question, you should put that link in with the Pubs ....

Guest tsavo

Nice Elephant picture :rolleyes: I'd completely forgotten I'd asked the question, you should put that link in with the Pubs ....

Done.... lollol lol

years ago i did some work with an agency that was based down jew lane which was that little alley between what was corals and wigfalls (I think) . In those days (mid 90's) it was being used as offices and a meeting room but i often wondered what its original use was. I thought it was an abbatoir or some sort of storage area as there were hooks in the beams on the ceiling and it was always perishingly cold

any idea's?

yep thats the one..it came out at the side of barclays. Monday mornings wern't fun as it often got used as a loo on friday/sat nights so the cleaning lady also used to bleach the steps and path first thing on a monday. I also vividly remember a lady of the the night attempting to 'entertain' a client whilst lent up against the window...a quick tap on the window and a chorus of "not here please" and they soon disappeared.

yep thats the one..it came out at the side of barclays. Monday mornings wern't fun as it often got used as a loo on friday/sat nights so the cleaning lady also used to bleach the steps and path first thing on a monday. I also vividly remember a lady of the the night attempting to 'entertain' a client whilst lent up against the window...a quick tap on the window and a chorus of "not here please" and they soon disappeared.

Number 4 sold for refurbishment

http://www.ccreauctions.co.uk/DesktopDefau...=D&HID=2651

anyone remember the transport office in square where yu could get bus&tram timetables also gents&ladies toilets.they were underground.

The transport office in the square. My uncle worked down there, when you went down the steps you passed through a line of cigarette smog as you went from fresh air into the smoke filled room. Hated it, being a young kid I always wanted to get out into the fresh air again.

Sue

From a recent message on SheffieldForum:

The Pevsner Architectural Guide to Sheffield says:

The White Building c1908 by Gibbs and Flockton, one of the most original buildings of its date in Sheffield with a faience facade enlivened by ten figures in relief by Alfred and William Tory depicting Sheffield trades. Four stories with a raised attic storey in the centre, French windows with balconies on the first floor with medallions above. Further balconies on the third floor which has unusual ogee-shaped hoods above the windows incorporating a scallop or fanlight design. Similar but segmental hoods over the first floor windows. Adam-style frieze at the top of the building . Arcaded ground floor, the entrance with its original name plaque is recessed behind one of the elliptical arches.

Hugh