Fitzalan Square

Sheffield History

On 08/04/2020 at 22:14, Sheffield History said:

Does anyone have any information on what we're looking at in this one?
Is that the Elephant Inn pub on the very left of picture?

Yes Elephant pub on the left, White Building to the right of it and the old Marples  ( aka. -  Market Street Wine Vaults / Wine and Spirit Commercial Hotel /  London Mart ) far right. The only building left on that side is the White Buildings. The pictures on this post show the enormous  changes to the square, unfortunately very few for the better.

Here is another one with a nice line of trams.

fitzalan_square_trams_electra_palace_1925.jpg

8 hours ago, boginspro said:

Yes Elephant pub on the left, White Building to the right of it and the old Marples  ( aka. -  Market Street Wine Vaults / Wine and Spirit Commercial Hotel /  London Mart ) far right. The only building left on that side is the White Buildings. The pictures on this post show the enormous  changes to the square, unfortunately very few for the better.

Here is another one with a nice line of trams.

fitzalan_square_trams_electra_palace_1925.jpg

The pub on the left is the Bell, my dad used to pop in there every now an then, lots of Irish frequented the place and with my dads parents being Irish he loved to chat to the lads from the “ Auld Country”

11 hours ago, tozzin said:

The pub on the left is the Bell, my dad used to pop in there every now an then, lots of Irish frequented the place and with my dads parents being Irish he loved to chat to the lads from the “ Auld Country”

Yes I called in at The Bell frequently, it was another pub that was handy going or coming from the bus station and when going to the Cartoon/Classic Cinema. When I said the pub on the left is the Elephant I was referring to the picture and question put on by  Sheffield History .

Another 2 pubs in the area. The Falcon Inn stood on Flat Street and would be lost to the Post Office extension. The Palace Inn stood where the Post Office was built in the late 19th century. Both are shown on this map from the 1850's.

IMG_20200422_085443.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ron Kendall said:

Another 2 pubs in the area. The Falcon Inn stood on Flat Street and would be lost to the Post Office extension. The Palace Inn stood where the Post Office was built in the late 19th century. Both are shown on this map from the 1850's.

IMG_20200422_085443.jpg

The map also shows several other pubs:

Norfolk Arms - bottom of Norfolk Street 

Black Swan - corner of Flat Street and Little Pond Street 

Tankard Inn - Little Pond Street 

Barrell - Little Pond Street 

Prince of Wales - corner of Sycamore Street and Flat Street. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

017C6D57-FCA4-4D8E-AFB0-F813E7CEE8D1.jpeg

Wigfalls fire in Fitzalan Square, not long after the fire at the cinema just a few doors away

On 05/11/2007 at 16:07, Zeb said:

years ago i did some work with an agency that was based down jew lane which was that little alley between what was corals and wigfalls (I think) . In those days (mid 90's) it was being used as offices and a meeting room but i often wondered what its original use was. I thought it was an abbatoir or some sort of storage area as there were hooks in the beams on the ceiling and it was always perishingly cold

any idea's?

I used to work.....mid 1960s at the Queens restaurant....underneath the Classic cinema. The restaurant's cold stores were down that lane.......one of them was for fruit and veg and the other one was where the game was hung until they were needed.

48 minutes ago, anitamo said:

I used to work.....mid 1960s at the Queens restaurant....underneath the Classic cinema. The restaurant's cold stores were down that lane.......one of them was for fruit and veg and the other one was where the game was hung until they were needed.

My wife worked there for the Gabrielidis, we had one of their flats in the house they owned next door to theirs on Stafford Road, Zina was very good to us, I remember George the son and I don’t think I met their daughter, can’t recall her name but she had six fingers on one hand or should I say five fingers and a thumb, a mate of mine worked there in the sixties Harry Colley, he went to the Grand Hotel after leaving there.

I worked for the Gabrielidis too and I married Tom one of the chefs.....the other chef was Stellios and the commi chef. was Melvyn I think. I was there in late 1965-67. I think a girl called Ruth was also in one of their flats on Stafford road.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, anitamo said:

I worked for the Gabrielidis too and I married Tom one of the chefs.....the other chef was Stellios and the commi chef. was Melvyn I think. I was there in late 1965-67. I think a girl called Ruth was also in one of their flats on Stafford road.

I remember Ruth didn’t she marry a Greek chap?

Yes I am sure she did, she was lovely, and sweet natured. I was trying to remember the name of the head waiter.......I can see him in my mind's eye yet can't remember his name .....he was a Greek Cypriot and a good friend of Mr and Mrs Gabrielidis.

11 minutes ago, anitamo said:

Yes I am sure she did, she was lovely, and sweet natured. I was trying to remember the name of the head waiter.......I can see him in my mind's eye yet can't remember his name .....he was a Greek Cypriot and a good friend of Mr and Mrs Gabrielidis.

Didn’t Ruth marry Stellios? I do remember she lived in the very bottom Flat.

9 hours ago, tozzin said:

Didn’t Ruth marry Stellios? I do remember she lived in the very bottom Flat.

I think Stellios married a girl called Maureen? She was quite tall with dark hair and I remember George married a girl called Ann, blonde and very glamorous.

Screenshot 2020-05-30 at 23.52.51.jpg

Screenshot 2020-05-30 at 23.53.04.jpg

Screenshot 2020-05-30 at 23.54.14.jpg

Does anyone know what the rooms/buildings are underneath the statue shown here during the construction works?

Looks like there are tiled corridors/rooms underneath!

There used to be public conveniences under Fitzalan Square, so it could be the remains of those.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, madannie77 said:

There used to be public conveniences under Fitzalan Square, so it could be the remains of those.

9 hours ago, Sheffield History said:

Screenshot 2020-05-30 at 23.52.51.jpg

Screenshot 2020-05-30 at 23.53.04.jpg

Screenshot 2020-05-30 at 23.54.14.jpg

Does anyone know what the rooms/buildings are underneath the statue shown here during the construction works?

Looks like there are tiled corridors/rooms underneath!

The toilet in the photo was the ladies, the men`s was on the opposite side facing Marple's, they both had separate exits and entrances, the photo shows the men`s entrance and exit on the right and left of the foreground.

Fitzalan Toilets.jpg

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, tozzin said:

The toilet in the photo was the ladies, the men`s was on the opposite side facing Marple's, they both had separate exits and entrances, the photo shows the men`s entrance and exit on the right and left of the foreground.

Fitzalan Toilets.jpg

Makes sense - thank you for the pic/info!

7 hours ago, madannie77 said:

yeah - definitely

Thank you!

The Fitzalan Square toilets were upgraded in 1901 but it was realised they were inadequate and for the next six years the council hummed and harr'd about where to build more town centre toilets.  In July 1908 the invitation to tender was issued for "UNDERGROUND LAVATORIES and an UNDERGROUND TRAMWAY OFFICE, and the FORMATION OF A BALUSTRADED TERRACE IN FITZALAN SQUARE"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

103507539_2814110078699026_7483535644312188724_o.jpg

Has Fitzalan Square ever looked as fine as it down right now?

Surely this is  the best it's ever looked?