Nathaniel Creswick

RichardB

Nathaniel Creswick helped create Sheffield FC; who formed the Club with him (easy bit) and what was Nathaniel's Fathers trade (slightly less easy bit) ?

I had thought that his father was James, a silver plater, but I found some conflicting evidence which suggests that he was son of Nathaniel (also a silver plater), brother of James...

from: Wallis, PJ (n.d.) Sheffield Collegiate School 1836-1885: a biographical register

(typescript in Sheffield Local Studies Library)

[in square brackets: my expansion of abbreviations]

Charles James CRESWICK Apr 1839 - Dec 1842 [=dates as scholar]

(c1828 - 9 xi 1852)

e[ldest] s[on of] James, of Crookes Moor, silver plater and Hannah (JUBB)

Adm[itted] pens[ioner] Trinity C[ollege] C[ambridge] 9 iv 1847 mc [=matriculated] Mich[aelmas] 1847

BA 1851 25 i 1850 admitted Inner Temple

Nathaniel CRESWICK Jun 1847 -

(31 vii 1831 - 20 x 1917)

b. Park Field 2[nd] s[on] of above parents

Solicitor 1857-63 Sec. Sheffield Football Club

Hallamshire Rifles & Sh[effield] Artillery Volunteers, hon Col 1885

KCB 1909. Chairman Joseph Rodgers & Sons

m 1866 Sarah Ann, d John WALKER of York

Charles is definitely the son of James. This may be my misunderstanding when I extracted these entries (longer ago than I care to remember)

SO Addy & WT Pike Sheffield at the Opening of the 20th Century p129 [photo]

[LSL 920.9427459]

CRESWICK

Nathaniel Creswick JP CB VD Norton, nr Sheffield, son of Nathaniel and Elizabeth Creswick. Born at Parkfield, Sheffield, July 31st 1831, educated at Sheffield Collegiate School; articled to Henry PA Ashley; admitted solicitor, 1852, and has practised in Sheffield since 1853; his name has for many years been prominently associated with the Volunteer Movement, commanded 4th West Riding of Yorkshire Volunteer Artillery (Western Division, Royal Artillery), 1861-97 and retired with the rank of Colonel; holder of the Royal Humane Society’s medal; appointed Justice of the Peace for the County of Derbyshire 1898; in 1897 the honour of Civilian Companion of the Bath was conferred upon him in recognition of his services as a volunteer.

Hugh

The Sheffield FC Headquarters were established in a potting shed and greenhouse.

but what road was it situated on/near to?

Just came across this,

Silver Makers' Marks - London Assay Office

Wonder what type of 'cup' had the hallmark on?

Guest TheCig

The Sheffield FC Headquarters were established in a potting shed and greenhouse.

but what road was it situated on/near to?

Not quite right. The inaugural meeting of Sheffield F.C. took place on 24 October 1857 at Parkfield House in Highfield. The building is still there at 118 Alderson Road SHEFFIELD. Anyone doing a search will discover that Redmile Homes operate their business from that property.

Oh in case you wondered, I am a Sheffield FC historian and contribute to the match day programmes.

Rich

Not quite right. The inaugural meeting of Sheffield F.C. took place on 24 October 1857 at Parkfield House in Highfield. The building is still there at 118 Alderson Road SHEFFIELD. Anyone doing a search will discover that Redmile Homes operate their business from that property.

Oh in case you wondered, I am a Sheffield FC historian and contribute to the match day programmes.

Rich

WikiCreswick : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nathaniel_Creswick

Mentions his father and William Prest too ...

Rich

The inaugural meeting of Sheffield F.C. took place on 24 October 1857 at Parkfield House in the suburb of Highfield.[10] The original headquarters would become a greenhouse on East Bank Road. The adjacent field was used as their first playing ground.

Wike Sheffield Rules : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheffield_Rules

CRESWICK

Nathaniel Creswick JP CB VD Norton, nr Sheffield, son of Nathaniel and Elizabeth Creswick. Born at Parkfield, Sheffield, July 31st 1831, educated at Sheffield Collegiate School; articled to Henry PA Ashley; admitted solicitor, 1852, and has practised in Sheffield since 1853; his name has for many years been prominently associated with the Volunteer Movement, commanded 4th West Riding of Yorkshire Volunteer Artillery (Western Division, Royal Artillery), 1861-97 and retired with the rank of Colonel; holder of the Royal Humane Society’s medal; appointed Justice of the Peace for the County of Derbyshire 1898; in 1897 the honour of Civilian Companion of the Bath was conferred upon him in recognition of his services as a volunteer.

Hugh

Mother and Father's headstone : http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2710/4451644702_01655e0a2b.jpg