Weston Works - Portobello

Guest tommyking

Guest tommyking

Hi everyone,

As part of my research at the University of Sheffield - I'm doing some reading into the demolished Weston Works on Portobello, which used to lie between Broad Lane and West Street. As I understand it, the building become derelict after a number of years during the 1970's and then become something of a hang out for bands of the era like Cabaret Voltaire - until it was demolished in the late 80s/ early 90s.

I would be really interested to hear from anyone who has memories/info on this building.

Cheers,

Tom

Guest lazarus

I worked In the Western Works in the early sixties when it was owned by my mates Father a chap called John Mulcrone and his four sons also worked there John, Raymond, David & Danny (my old school mate).

The firm was called J. Donnelly and we made all round tang spoons and forks including Carver forks. The regime there was harsh at the age of seventeen I was working 59 hours per week which was illegal so I had to clock out at five o`clock and then carry on till half six BUT if you lasted there a month you could work anywhere.

Mr Mullcrone aka Donnelly worked along side of us each and every day from seven in the morning till six thirty and Saturday Morning seven till twelve, this man taught me to use both hands when working, as you putting an article down with your right hand you should be picking up the next one with your left. This man trained me to be a exceptional cutlery worker which enabled me do any job related to producing Cutlery.

On the Corner of Portobello & Mappin St stood another large Cutlery Firm called Bisbys which was run on different lines, Mr Bisby and his son never worked on the shop floor.

On Regent Street next to Portobello, Samuel Plimsol (of the PLIMSOL LINE on ships) lived for a short while while he was a Clerk in a brewery in or near Pond st, I think it was Berrys Brewery. Western Works was also let off with small shops for other businesses and when Mr Mulcrone died his elder son John took over the reins of the firm and stated a another branch making scissors which he called MAB products. The firm finally closed in the seventies, John went to live in Blackpool now sadly dead, Raymond is still a little mester making Skian Duhs (hope thats spelled correctly) Scottish Daggers, David had very sad life after the firm closed after several terrible events I heard he was living rough and he also died;as for Danny he went Taxi driving but I do not know anything of him since the early eighties. On the whole I enjoyed all of my time working in the Western Works.