The Malin Pub

Guest Aliciamont

Guest Aliciamont

Hello

This is George Henry Strong outside the pub The Malin on Loxley Rd which he ran with his second wife Edith.The photo was I guess the thirties or early forties.In 1920 he was at The Brown Cow Mowbray St.

Hi Aliciamont, in our pub keepers list we have Edith Strong as the licensee in 1948,

so she obviously took over running the place from George.

I like it; difficult to say George Henry wasn't involved at some point ! More please everyone ...

Guest Aliciamont

Hi Aliciamont, in our pub keepers list we have Edith Strong as the licensee in 1948,

so she obviously took over running the place from George.

Hi Dobberd

Yes Edith Strong took over running of this Pub.I expect George Henry would have died by then.Edith his second wife was almost 20 years his Junior.I have attached a photo of his first wifeAnne dont know which of their children this was but it seems the horse was called "Dot" !!

Aliciamont

Guest Aliciamont

Could be your man :

George Henry Strong, Beer retailer of 64 & 66 Princess Street, Attercliffe (Kelly's 1925)

Source:

http://www.sheffieldrecordsonline.org.uk/

Hi Richard

Yes this was him.From one of his daughters marriage certificate in 1920,I have him living at The Brown Cow Mowbray St.

As a Beer Retailer Princess St 1925 but I haven't got a definitive date for moving to the Malin except my Mum worked there for them briefly cleaning the Pub and Spittoons ugh!Edith used to push Mum under the counter if the Police came as you had to be 14 to work in a Pub.Mum was born 1919 so we're looking at 1932 ish

Regards

Aliciamont

P.S.Love the site