WW1 Postcard

Hjdary

I came across this last night whilst scanning some old photos....

I was given this by my Dad who had found it in the loft of a empty house he was working in many years ago.

Reading the back last night, made me feel very sad.

It seems to be written in a very simple way by a man who possibly knew he might not make it back.

Unfortunatly his name is not on the card so we can't find out if he did make it...but in a way a part of him will...almost one hundred years on he's now on the world wide web!!

On 16/06/2008 at 07:17, Hjdary said:

I came across this last night whilst scanning some old photos....

post-315-1213596602_thumb.jpg

post-315-1213596643_thumb.jpg

I was given this by my Dad who had found it in the loft of a empty house he was working in many years ago.

Reading the back last night, made me feel very sad.

It seems to be written in a very simple way by a man who possibly knew he might not make it back.

Unfortunatly his name is not on the card so we can't find out if he did make it...but in a way a part of him will...almost one hundred years on he's now on the world wide web!!

Interesting photo. It is taken by the front door of the Plantin Moretus Museum in Antwerp. These two gentlemen were very prominent printers in the late 16th century and the museum was the Plantin residence. Presumably the sender had been and bought a souvenir card to send to the girl back home.

I agree about the message which is perhaps rather odd. The card is franked post-free as usual for serving soldiers with a clear civilian  postmark dated 6th October 1914. There a suggestion of inevitability  in the message yet the war had only just started and there was a general optimistic  thought  that it would be  over by Christmas. Wonder why he thought differently?   Don't suppose we shall ever know.