The Carlton Cinema, Arbourthorne sheffield.

Guest tsavo

Sounds like a job for a long winters evening.

Not really a job for us.

I used a pen tablet to draw in the finer bits as it was easier than a mouse, although the mouse was fine for blocking in larger areas.

Using the pen requires a steady hand and some artistic talent.

I have already said in the Norfolk School thread in the bit about Lass Bray / Man Headley that art was not our strong point.

...and with all that alcohol we've consumed over the years a steady hand is not always that easy either <_<

Perhaps one of our more artistic members could get involved in doing this sort of thing.

Not a THEN and NOW (I have already done one of those on the Carlton anyway, - see earlier post.)

For comparison here is a BEFORE and AFTER

Guest Jenstar

Wow, I can't believe that's what it used to look like.

I remember when I moved around the corner of it back in 94' I always found it really eerie.

It was so derelict and there were no windows in it at all, just gaping holes.

I also remember seeing kids managing to get inside through some broken wood but I was too scared to go inside.

To this day, I wish I had done just to see a piece of history.

Wow, I can't believe that's what it used to look like.

I remember when I moved around the corner of it back in 94' I always found it really eerie.

It was so derelict and there were no windows in it at all, just gaping holes.

I also remember seeing kids managing to get inside through some broken wood but I was too scared to go inside.

To this day, I wish I had done just to see a piece of history.

It was very, very run down by the 1990's Jenstar, well past its days of glory as a suburban cinema.

When you say you lived around the corner from it where would that be? One of the Erringtons like plain talker perhaps?

As you can tell from my pictures we lived straight opposite the main entrance (another corner) on Eastern Avenue,

Welcome to Sheffield History and I am glad you have enjoyed reading this thread.

Guest Pukka1889

Me and my mum lived I'n the flats behind the Carlton I've got sum colour photos of the Carlton just need to get them on my iPhone to upload . I was also one of the urchins that use to go I'n and climb on the roofs tut tut!!! I could tell you what it was like I'n the 80s inside when I was 10 ish or what it was like I'n the 90s when I was at myrtle springs there was also a tramp what lived there I'n the 80s he use to live up I'n the boiler room and would chase us out . I also know Gary Cade or cadey as he's liked to be called ...... It's made interesting reading . Thanks ...... I'll upload I'n a couple of days

Me and my mum lived I'n the flats behind the Carlton I've got sum colour photos of the Carlton just need to get them on my iPhone to upload . I was also one of the urchins that use to go I'n and climb on the roofs tut tut!!! I could tell you what it was like I'n the 80s inside when I was 10 ish or what it was like I'n the 90s when I was at myrtle springs there was also a tramp what lived there I'n the 80s he use to live up I'n the boiler room and would chase us out . I also know Gary Cade or cadey as he's liked to be called ...... It's made interesting reading . Thanks ...... I'll upload I'n a couple of days

Welcome to SheffieldHistory Pukka1889 and thanks for this great reply.

We would love to see any existing pictures of the Carlton that you have as, you may have gathered from the earlier part of this topic, there are not many pictures of it but a fair bit of interest in its history.

What did they call Gary Cade's younger brother?

Looks like a picture of The Carlton, even a colour one, may not be as rare and unique as we once thought.

This colour picture of the Carlton, which appears to have been taken from the end of my parents drive, by an unknown photographer, probably in the 1990's given the state of dereliction of the building and may have been taken just before its demolition has just appeared in The RETRO, The star's Saturday weekly nostalgia 8 page pull out.

Perhaps The Star have loads of pictures of it

The first post I ever made on here was a response to Tsavo's request for information and a picture of the Carlton

It would be nice if he were still alive to see this one.