The Carlton Cinema, Arbourthorne sheffield.

Guest tsavo

Much better Dave, I'll place that in the A to Z list if you don't object. Much improved. Good work and keep looking........now how about Redgates in colour......?

Much better Dave, I'll place that in the A to Z list if you don't object. Much improved. Good work and keep looking........now how about Redgates in colour......?

I'm still hanging on to my mothers belief that somewhere we have a colour picture of the Carlton

Brand new all singing all dancing fully automatic take care of everything high resolution purpose built dedicated negative scanner now in use.

I think this has to be the very best I can do from this particular negative.

What about this Tsavo!

Not one but TWO pictures of the Carlton! (OK, so I did used to live bang opposite it, - not the best view from your front room window)

Having got a new negative scanner I went looking for other negatives. The low quality of this one is because it was taken with a Minox camera.

Famed as a "spy camera" and long associated with the likes of James Bond, until the advent of digital cameras and mobile phones with cameras these were the smallest conventional photography cameras available. I spent the first half of the 1980's carrying one around and could take a picture of anything just as and when, much more convenient to slip in a pocket than 35mm, but you would probably be arrested on suspected terrorism grounds these days for trying to use it.

The Minox uses 9.5mm unperforated film and its negatives measure only 11mm by 8mm. this created special problems in obtaining, developing and printing Minox pictures, although I still have all the stuff to do it, invluding cutting the film! It also creates special problems with the scanning of these negatives and the quality which can be obtained.

This new view, taken in 1982, some 11 years after the previous picture shows the same building in a more serious state of derelicyion. Notice that the boarded up windows either side of the main entrance have gone and the O in CARLTON, having been reduced to a C has now further broken into 2 parts.

In this view it is possible to see further up Errington Avenue, to the flats where plaintalker lived behind the Carlton. On the left we can see the dark coloured doorway where lorries made deliveries of light bulbs at this time. The sign on this side of the building reads "BEACON lampworks". For many years this was OMEGA lampworks but Beacon must have taken them over before they finally abandoned this building.

What a turm up for the file of old negatives! I didn't think I had one but when I got the Carlton negative out again to do the improved copy I found this picture of the Manor Cinema as well (actually the Challenge supermarket at the time). A note with this roll of film indicates that both this photo of the Manor cinema, and the one of the Carlton were both taken, along with a few others in the same area, on Sunday 17 October 1971 for part of a CSE Geography project.

The Challenge supermarket opened in 1970 in the old cinema building. as this picture shows, just like New York it was so good they had to name it twice! The building is a supermarket to this day, Somerfield I believe.

Keeping off topic, there is an excellent photo of The Manor in "A Second Helping of Peter Harvey's Sheffield" on page 39

Guest plain talker

What about this Tsavo!

Not one but TWO pictures of the Carlton! (OK, so I did used to live bang opposite it, - not the best view from your front room window)

Having got a new negative scanner I went looking for other negatives. The low quality of this one is because it was taken with a Minox camera.

Famed as a "spy camera" and long associated with the likes of James Bond, until the advent of digital cameras and mobile phones with cameras these were the smallest conventional photography cameras available. I spent the first half of the 1980's carrying one around and could take a picture of anything just as and when, much more convenient to slip in a pocket than 35mm, but you would probably be arrested on suspected terrorism grounds these days for trying to use it.

The Minox uses 9.5mm unperforated film and its negatives measure only 11mm by 8mm. this created special problems in obtaining, developing and printing Minox pictures, although I still have all the stuff to do it, invluding cutting the film! It also creates special problems with the scanning of these negatives and the quality which can be obtained.

This new view, taken in 1982, some 11 years after the previous picture shows the same building in a more serious state of derelicyion. Notice that the boarded up windows either side of the main entrance have gone and the O in CARLTON, having been reduced to a C has now further broken into 2 parts.

In this view it is possible to see further up Errington Avenue, to the flats where plaintalker lived behind the Carlton. On the left we can see the dark coloured doorway where lorries made deliveries of light bulbs at this time. The sign on this side of the building reads "BEACON lampworks". For many years this was OMEGA lampworks but Beacon must have taken them over before they finally abandoned this building.

the three flats you can see are the base of the "T".

When I lived ther in the late eighties, the top flat was where my pal Marie lived, I forget the name of the young couple who lived in the middle flat, and then there was an older lady called "dot" who lived in the bottom-most of the three. The flat I lived in was just out of view on the left hand side.

the three flats you can see are the base of the "T".

When I lived ther in the late eighties, the top flat was where my pal Marie lived, I forget the name of the young couple who lived in the middle flat, and then there was an older lady called "dot" who lived in the bottom-most of the three. The flat I lived in was just out of view on the left hand side.

What a fantastic find I have just made for you plain talker!

This picture, taken in 1969, shows the Carlton on the right hand side (just part of it). The Elizabethan looking building up the hill is of course the Arbourthorne Hotel, and between the two there are your flats in the process of being built!

Note also the various "street urchins", playing in the road and playing "dare" with the cars. At the house on the left with the road sign on the wall lived a young lad called Gary Cade, he was involved in a number of collisions with cars playing this stupid game.

Guest plain talker

What a fantastic find I have just made for you plain talker!

This picture, taken in 1969, shows the Carlton on the right hand side (just part of it). The Elizabethan looking building up the hill is of course the Arbourthorne Hotel, and between the two there are your flats in the process of being built!

Note also the various "street urchins", playing in the road and playing "dare" with the cars. At the house on the left with the road sign on the wall lived a young lad called Gary Cade, he was involved in a number of collisions with cars playing this stupid game.

Wow! that's a fantastic pic, DaveH. Thank you so much!

The pic shows the very corner where my flat was, I can't get my breath! *beams happily*.

so, my block was built in 69.. interesting, as I know the Finnegans over on the "Berners" side were built in 67/8.

They must have started building over behind my father's old-type council house, (when the prefabs were cleared) and worked their way up and over Berners and Errington toward the Carlton.

On that pic, where the pile of rubble or whatever it was in front of the boys playing, was where the drying area was for our block, and you can just see the wall that was built to enclose the bin area.

I can see the builders had got to just above my windows:- I was in the very bottom flat, on the corner of Errington Avenue.

and Road. The bit of the window you can see behind the scaffold was my dining area window.

Wow! that's a fantastic pic, DaveH. Thank you so much!

The pic shows the very corner where my flat was, I can't get my breath! *beams happily*.

so, my block was built in 69.. interesting, as I know the Finnegans over on the "Berners" side were built in 67/8.

They must have started building over behind my father's old-type council house, (when the prefabs were cleared) and worked their way up and over Berners and Errington toward the Carlton.

On that pic, where the pile of rubble or whatever it was in front of the boys playing, was where the drying area was for our block, and you can just see the wall that was built to enclose the bin area.

I can see the builders had got to just above my windows:- I was in the very bottom flat, on the corner of Errington Avenue.

and Road. The bit of the window you can see behind the scaffold was my dining area window.

The picture was taken in December 1969, or possibly just into January 1970. I remember the drying area being just behind the Carlton, a communal one for several flats which was screened off with a high wooden fence. Interestingly the photo is taken from our front garden on Eastern Avenue so presumably there must have been a time when we could quite literally "see" each other.

Guest plain talker

So you'd have lived a couple of doors up from the Days, then?

Yes, the drying area served all nine flats in the block, which made for tremendous fun when everyone tried to wash on the same day... hehe (I wish we'd have had balconies, like the similar flats which were on Windyhouse Lane or those at Woodhouse.)

Yes, the drying area served all nine flats in the block, which made for tremendous fun when everyone tried to wash on the same day... hehe (I wish we'd have had balconies, like the similar flats which were on Windyhouse Lane or those at Woodhouse.)

Don't remember a family called the Days.

From the flats you must have had a completely different view of the Carlton.

At one time the "street urchins" used to take great pride in climbing onto the Carlton roof, it was quite a high building, with that sign higher than any nearby building, but it also had a number of lower flat roofs like walkways. the youths would always go around the back near the flats to find the "easy way up".

From our house that large entrance doorway at the front was always a meeting point for local gangs.

Here is a "then and now" shot of the Carlton 1971 - 2008

Also posted in the then and now thread with a few more details. Posted here for reference for Tsavo and those compiling the cinemas list.

Guest transit

Here is a "then and now" shot of the Carlton 1971 - 2008

Also posted in the then and now thread with a few more details. Posted here for reference for Tsavo and those compiling the cinemas list.

...as i mentioned in the "then & now" - the SAME telegraph pole has survived , and gives a scale to the size of the contrasting buildings :o

Turns out I've not got the only surviving picture of the Carlton after all, found this one on picture sheffield. Its taken in the late 1980's when it was part of Beacon lampworks and is in a very poor state of repair (look at the damage to the windows, the extra damage to its sign and all that graffiti). Still a good picture though, - must have been taken from outside my mums house like my pictures were.

Carlton Cinema

HI Plain Talker the Days you mentioned were they named Ted and Joan by any chance, if so. Joan was a lifelong friend of my late wife, Cheers Skeets.

In the mid 1980's when the Carlton building (Beacon Lampworks) was in terminal decline walking around that corner from Errington Road onto Eastern Avenue was quite scarey.

In this picture, taken in 1986, a woman walks past the run down graffiti ridden front entrance of the Carlton on that very corner.

The boarded up main entrance up those stairs was a favourite meeting place for gangs of yobs and thugs who would, as well as being responsible for most of the damage and graffiti, intimidate and threaten innocent passers by.

Perhaps demolishing the building and replacing it with warden monitored housing for the aged has some advantages.

I'm still hanging on to my mothers belief that somewhere we have a colour picture of the Carlton

My mother has still not found this all illusive picture of the Carlton in colour.

However, in the meantime, having been inspired by SteveHB's colourisation of an old black and white picture of St. Pauls church Pinstone Street I have had a go at colourising my picture of the Carlton in as near as I can remember the right colours.

Colourising pictures is slow and time consuming and this is my first attempt, - but at least it gives an idea of how it looked.

Guest plain talker

not a bad rendition of the Carlton in colour, Dave!

the panels blocking the windows in latter years were a more "Bottle" green, (As well as the Graffiti!)

My mother has still not found this all illusive picture of the Carlton in colour.

However, in the meantime, having been inspired by SteveHB's colourisation of an old black and white picture of St. Pauls church Pinstone Street I have had a go at colourising my picture of the Carlton in as near as I can remember the right colours.

Colourising pictures is slow and time consuming and this is my first attempt, - but at least it gives an idea of how it looked.

Excellent colouring, makes it a totally different photo.

Telegraph pole a bit orange :) , just a professional opinion

Excellent colouring, makes it a totally different photo.

Telegraph pole a bit orange :) , just a professional opinion

Not easy to select the right shades of colour using BlackMagic software.

As plaintalker says I did want a much daeker green for those boarded up areas (dark bottle green as plaintalker calls it)

For the telegraph pole I wanted a very dark brown, almost black but I haven't found one yet.

I am also not fully happy with the purple tinge in the lower concrete sections of the building

The concrete street lamp has just the right shade of grey colour, and this is not colourised at all !!! Just in its original B&W shade.

I am pleased with that sandy coloured shade on the upper concrete sections though, - just as I remember it.

As it was a "first try" I can always have another go at improving on it later, but I would really prefer to find my mums colour photo instead.

Not easy to select the right shades of colour using BlackMagic software.

As plaintalker says I did want a much daeker green for those boarded up areas (dark bottle green as plaintalker calls it)

For the telegraph pole I wanted a very dark brown, almost black but I haven't found one yet.

I am also not fully happy with the purple tinge in the lower concrete sections of the building

The concrete street lamp has just the right shade of grey colour, and this is not colourised at all !!! Just in its original B&W shade.

I am pleased with that sandy coloured shade on the upper concrete sections though, - just as I remember it.

As it was a "first try" I can always have another go at improving on it later, but I would really prefer to find my mums colour photo instead.

What about something a little more challenging, the 5 photo panorama of the Arbourthorne and Norfolk School :)

What about something a little more challenging, the 5 photo panorama of the Arbourthorne and Norfolk School :)

What about you having a go at that one, -

You were the one who stitched them together and you know where all the little join mismatches and edited in and out bits are to correct to a rectangular frame.

Perhaps a bit of colour could be used to disguise these small blemishes (or introduce a few more!!)

What about you having a go at that one, -

You were the one who stitched them together and you know where all the little join mismatches and edited in and out bits are to correct to a rectangular frame.

Perhaps a bit of colour could be used to disguise these small blemishes (or introduce a few more!!)

Sounds like a job for a long winters evening.