Sheffield AEC Regent 5 874

mickjj

"> " type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364">

874 in Commercial Street 1974

A fantastic picture Staurt great memories

I might have been sat on that up stairs at the back, smoking a ***, oh well, a rolled up bus ticket. I was only nine.

Guest gareth388

Remember that 874 is 50 years old next April

Did you know that the owners of 874, the AEC Alexander Group, have produced a 50th Anniversary 2010 Calendar as part of their celebrations next year?

As you would expect it has 12 pictures of 874 over the years, some in service, and some in retirement.

It is available on ebay, by typing in 'Sheffield Transport' in the search. Link

Its 4.99 plus 1.50 postage, and is a high quality professional product.

Be quick if you want one - there are ony a few left!

Did you know that the owners of 874, the AEC Alexander Group, have produced a 50th Anniversary 2010 Calendar as part of their celebrations next year?

As you would expect it has 12 pictures of 874 over the years, some in service, and some in retirement.

It is available on ebay, by typing in 'Sheffield Transport' in the search. Link

Its 4.99 plus 1.50 postage, and is a high quality professional product.

Be quick if you want one - there are ony a few left!

Hi Gareth!,

got mine the other day thanks! excellent stuff! Hope you have saved me an SYTT one!

Andy

Guest bus man

Norfolk Park Yesterday

Just a reminder 874 is 50 this year and in October i will be spending some time on its old routes so keep your eyes open !

Norfolk Park Yesterday

Just a reminder 874 is 50 this year and in October i will be spending some time on its old routes so keep your eyes open !

Its a shame 510 is off the rails at Crich, you would have thought they would mark the 50th anniversary in some way wouldnt you?

Guest transit

Its a shame 510 is off the rails at Crich, you would have thought they would mark the 50th anniversary in some way wouldnt you?

....yes a poor response by whole Sheffield if you ask me !

Fortunately there will be a special Open Day at the transport museum at Aldwalke on Sun Oct 10th , commemorating the 50 year anniversary of closure , featuring loads of pictures and memoribilia, plus tram models and layouts ect.

More details here..... http://www.sytm.co.uk/

Guest bus man

TWO POINTS

1/. Supertram have done a tram in sheffield livery

2/. If you are around sheffield this comming saturday keep an eye out for 874 as it will be around

Guest bus man

Just a reminder 874 will be out celebrating it's 50th Birthday this year tommorrow so if you you see it out and about give us a ring (The 1960 version of 75 Firsth Park Meadowhead & 95 Intake - Walkley ) plus crich

Guest transit

Just a reminder 874 will be out celebrating it's 50th Birthday this year tommorrow so if you you see it out and about give us a ring (The 1960 version of 75 Firsth Park Meadowhead & 95 Intake - Walkley ) plus crich

.... hope nobody says its the wrong colour cos it doesnt look like the S.tram !!!!!!!! he he

.... hope nobody says its the wrong colour cos it doesnt look like the S.tram !!!!!!!! he he

Here it is today

That's not right: it's not the same shade of blue as the tram he he he he he he

Sorry transit, couldn't resist.

Great shot, bus man. It does highlight how wrong the Supertam blue is, though.

Guest bus man

874 had a day out today to celebrate its 50th Year it followed the 95 route, then to crich and on way back stood outside town hall for photos, I have never seen so many camera's appear from members of the public.

Bit worried about the bloke who got on in bakewell thinking it was in service ! :rolleyes:

The Walter Alexander Regents were superbe, I first traveled on them in the early 1960's, surprised at the change of seating design from the traditional green moquette downstairs and red leather upstairs to the tartan style on both decks with the large, chromium ball grabs on the isle edge of the seats. The stylish, domed roof added to the appeal of a very pleasing design which oozed quality. 

Just a few years later I had the joy of driving them when based at Leadmill. The only criticism was that the wiper motor was set a little low and slightly blocked the vision at the top of the windscreen making it necessary for tall drivers to either bend their heads slightly, or lower the seat, the latter making pedal control more hard on the legs. Have 874 and 525 ever met in preservation I wonder ? 

On 24/05/2016 at 16:54, Fiddlestick said:

The Walter Alexander Regents were superbe, I first traveled on them in the early 1960's, surprised at the change of seating design from the traditional green moquette downstairs and red leather upstairs to the tartan style on both decks with the large, chromium ball grabs on the isle edge of the seats. The stylish, domed roof added to the appeal of a very pleasing design which oozed quality. 

Just a few years later I had the joy of driving them when based at Leadmill. The only criticism was that the wiper motor was set a little low and slightly blocked the vision at the top of the windscreen making it necessary for tall drivers to either bend their heads slightly, or lower the seat, the latter making pedal control more hard on the legs. Have 874 and 525 ever met in preservation I wonder ? 

Must admit those Regents were good, I remember feeling king of the road every time I got behind the wheel when sueting as we had'nt any Regent Vs at Herries then. Mind you, what we did have was a batch of re numbered Regent 111s and just two out of those stood out from the rest. 2190 was the only Sheffield Regent 111 I had seen sporting a chrome radiator, the other was 2191, what a motor that was. Its versatility was perfect and always at home and on time on the very busy and tortuuous 79/91 Greengate Lane routes though some credit must go to my nineteen year old clippie.   I have no idea when these buses were re numbered and how many there were but I think by 1968 they had gone. There is no mention of a number change in Chas .C Hall's Sheffield Transport.

Yes(!) because I remember seeing it on the No 2 Outer Circle route as a young child. I was told then it was the 'Queen Mary' bus being a one-off show exhibit. I don't recall the livery shown in the picture though.