Prefabs

cheekyboy

Guest Rowlinson

hello, ron here, does anyone have any pics of prefabs on skyedge ave please? :P

Was Sky Edge Avenue the road that led up to the pig farm on Sky Edge? .I don't have any photos but my aunt lived in the terraced houses opposite some pre - fabs -her family name was Brown - there was a corner shop nearby called, I think, 'Cissies'.

Was Sky Edge Avenue the road that led up to the pig farm on Sky Edge? .I don't have any photos but my aunt lived in the terraced houses opposite some pre - fabs -her family name was Brown - there was a corner shop nearby called, I think, 'Cissies'.

yes thats right , she would have lived on manor lane, corner shop most likely viney,s

Guest Rowlinson

You've certainly brought back some memories. I think there were about ten terraced houses opposite the prefabs, all which had a common yard to the rear containing the outside toilets. We used to get off the bus in Pond Street and walk up via some steps above the tunnel at the north end of the Midland station. I remember croosing Duke Street ( where there was a great chippy) and then ascending even more steps until reaching a road leading up to the prefabs. I think that down the hill from the prefabs was St. John's church and a road led from the side of the terraced houses to the top end of Wybourn. My dad told me that there were some MASSIVE anti-aircraft guns mounted on Sky Edge during the war but my main memory is that of the stench from the piggeries up the road.