THE HORNBLOWER PUB

Guest coffee cup

Guest coffee cup

Screenshot 2020-05-11 at 13.21.25.jpg

The Hornblower Pub
Fitzwilliam Street, Sheffield City Centre

This was just off west street. Inside it was like been in an old Ship.

Back in the 1980's anyone who was anyone went there.(If you were part of the West Street incrowd)

Martin Fry (ABC) could be seen there at weekends.

Guest coffee cup

side road on Left hand side of west Street (coming away from the city), think it was Fitzwillam street (but can't be sure), any way the road was almost opposite what was then the Beehive Pub.

The Hornblower was demolished a few years ago, and I think there was/is a car showroom there now plus a trendy looking shop (think its Budgens} or something similar.

Guest mattjon

I believe that this pub was purchased as part of the West One Development.

It was brought by Brendan Elwood of City Estates who opened it briefly as a Music Pub whilst he was buying up the other adjacent properties.

Once all the land was purchased the demolition men moved in.

The pub was formerly 'The Raven'

It was modernised (became a posh spit and sawdust type place) around 1980, it was renamed The Hornblower at the same time.

Couple of questions:

Was this pub previously called The Raven?

Also is it true that Inspector Shillitoe once locked the Sheffield gang leaders back in the day where he told em he'd be taking em down?

I recall it having a bicycle hung on the wall (yellow and on the left as you walked in possibly) probably sometime mid nineties.

• Like 1

I remember in the late 70s when it  was the Raven Pub,it had a gym upstairs at the back,I think local boxers used to use it. I delivered the beer to the Raven when I worked as a Drayman for whitbreads, in later years the bosses at Whitbread converted it to a nautical themed "fun pub" and renamed it the Hornblower,it was bit of a craze at the time (1980s pubs with a theme),they renamed some pubs and filled them with "Junk" they did it wth lots of other pubs, *(In later years it was converted again to a Irish themed pub, another craze, and called it O Hagans).

*(A Correction, my memory has played a trick on me, it was converted to O Hagans, and I believe part of the pub was a bakery,this was after it was the Raven, it ended up in later years being named the Hornblower before Demolition, as can be seen from the previous photo}

I remember at the time Whitbreads bought a few old cars from local scrap yards, they were stored in our distribution warehouse at Tinsley, they were later cut in 2 and bricked into the walls of some other fun pubs in the s/yorks area, but I can't remember which pubs.

I saw quite a few changes in the 26 years I worked at Whitbreads, now they only own Premier Inn hotels, but I'm not complaining as I still qualify for my Whitbread discount card, which is part of my Whitbread pension.

My auntie Connie Waddingham worked behind the bar at The Raven for a number of years, possibly late 70s? She'd previously worked at Richards and Pryor's.

FB_IMG_1612139898712.jpg

I worked just a few yards away from this great pub, the back entrance to my works was just up Portland Lane at the side of the Beehive.

98754689-9844-47E5-A28E-BC64E543DBFE.jpeg