Redmires racecourse, help please?

I know the dates when the racecourse opened and closed, and roughly the area it covered, but has anyone ever come across any plans, maps etc? I'm particularly trying to locate the site of any buildings, e.g. the precise location of Racecourse Farm. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Bayleaf

Guest tsavo

This from the Wyming Brook thread, from Bayleaf.

BayleafJul 31 2007, 10:03 AM

That's right Bangtidy, the racecourse was built after the existing one near Broomhill was closed when the land was enclosed as part of the Parliamentary Enclosures. A group af businessmen decided to open a new course at Lodge Moor.

It occupied approximately 65 acres facing the Three Merry Lads. It cost £15,000, and the first meetings, usually three days long, were held in1795 The course was elaborately designed and enclosed, (you can still see parts of the wall, the high well-built one just along from the 3 Merry Lads on the other side of the road and by racecourse farm on the other side) and included a grandstand. Horses and jockeys were accommodated at Racecourse Farm, the jockeys being housed above the horseboxes. The course was eventually abandoned after only 2 to 3 years, being too remote to attract the crowds.

The site was subsequently used for Redmires Camp, and the adjacent field was used by the Royal Flying Corps for defending Sheffield from Zeppelin raids. After the First World War the council bought the site. Most of the huts were pulled down, the few that remained were used in the 1920’s as a smallpox isolation hospital during the outbreak of October 1925. The hospital was extended in 1926 and 1927.

Somebody, somewhere has quite a lot of maps of Sheffield in storage ... covering 1921 - whenever ...

Thanks Tsavo, yes that's my starting point. I now need to tie down more detail. There are so many maps and plans of parts of Sheffield I wondered if anyone has come across one that would help me.

Guest tsavo

Sorry Bayleaf for pointing you back to your own post. Yesterday wasn't a good day.....!

Sorry Bayleaf for pointing you back to your own post. Yesterday wasn't a good day.....!

No problem Tsavo, I've been going round in circles on this one for a long time! lol

Guest Flatlander

Bayleaf

There is a plan of the racecourse in Stephen Johnson’s Racing Times in Sheffield, although it just gives the boundaries.

Racecourse Farm was on Brown Hills Lane near the junction with Roper Hill. The farm was demolished although part of its boundary wall still stands – see the link the exact location:

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=53.366104&a...r=0&src=msa

Regards

Flatlander

Bayleaf

There is a plan of the racecourse in Stephen Johnson’s Racing Times in Sheffield, although it just gives the boundaries.

Racecourse Farm was on Brown Hills Lane near the junction with Roper Hill. The farm was demolished although part of its boundary wall still stands – see the link the exact location:

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=53.366104&a...r=0&src=msa

Regards

Flatlander

Thanks for that Flatlander. I'm going in to Local Studies this week so I'll look out the book. I had wondered if the gateway opposite Roper Hill was the farm entrance. All very useful, thanks again!

Thanks for those Hugh. The first one is particularly interesting. I'll get the maps out!

The racecourse is mentioned as one of the sites in an excellent book called "A Long Time Gone" by Chris Pitt. Chris did a lot of research as he was writing the book and may well be able to tell you more (assuming he's still around) - try via the publishers if you can find the book in the library or carry out a Google search. He's well known in horse racing circles. Chris is very friendly, knowledgeable and approachable.

From  The Making of Sheffield, I865-1914 by J. H. STAINTON

1910. ...July.  Prominent men in Sheffield discuss tar macadam. Colonel H. K.Stephenson and Colonel Chas. Clifford purchase the Redmires Racecourse as a training ground for Volunteers.

Bit late on this topic but the site was a serious contender for the first proposed post War Sheffield Airport. Plans were lodged, the cost evaluated and support given by a number of organisations including ( unofficially) the Air Ministry and Sheffield Corporation .The twin runways would have been large enough to allow the Dakota to operate.... but it was quickly tuned down by Government ( what's new?)