Where is Waverley?

Guest tsavo

Guest tsavo

I know I've been away from the City for a while, but I thought I knew the areas around it. But I've no idea where Waverely is, except to say it seems to be around the Parkway. Any ideas folks?

I know I've been away from the City for a while, but I thought I knew the areas around it. But I've no idea where Waverely is, except to say it seems to be around the Parkway. Any ideas folks?

Does this help?

Waverley lane, S13, Waverley Rd S9

from the old Waverley Coal Co Ltd. The company offices were on Main Rd Darnall, alongside Waverley Rd. Waverley Lane, some distance away led to the company's Waverley Colliery. The company became part of the Nunnery Colliery Co.

(From Street Names of Sheffield by Peter Harvey, RIP)

The connection with Nunnery colliery would bring it near the Parkway as you say.

Waverley is the area between Sheffield Airport (as was) and Handsworth on the Sheffield/Rotherham border. The Parkway has a railway bridge, often missed when travelling on it, this is the railway line they are talking about.

Sue

Guest tsavo

Thanks everyone. That improves my local knowledge a bit. That's what I like about this site....ask and you'll be helped. Great! :):) :)

I am new to the sight and its great. Waverley Lane runs parallel with the Parkway. There are still the old cottages down there. My Grandparents lived in one of them. All the men in the family worked down the Nunnery pit. The Detatched house was the deputy's house. At the top of the lane was the field where the pit ponies were kept. Ahh the memories.

I am new to the sight and its great. Waverley Lane runs parallel with the Parkway. There are still the old cottages down there. My Grandparents lived in one of them. All the men in the family worked down the Nunnery pit. The Detatched house was the deputy's house. At the top of the lane was the field where the pit ponies were kept. Ahh the memories.

Grandparents, now we're talking ! Welcome to the site.

Grandparents, did I mention Grandparents any details ? names ? dates ? addresses ? shoesizes ? etc etc

OK, forget the shoesizes ...

Hi Richard

My grandparents were Eheud and Lily Marfleet. Had four sons and all worked down the pit with grandad. Dates i can't remember . They lived there when I was born 50s and still lived there in the 60s. I have a family photo taken on Waverley lane for there golden wedding. I will dig it out and post it on if I can figure out how to do this,