Cambridge Arcade

Sheffield History

Guest wisewoodowl

I remember Cambridge Arcade as an arcade that ran from Pinstone Street to Union Street. Barney Goodman, tailors, had a shop on there.

Indeed WisewoodOwl, I agree, the original Cambridge Arcade was where you stated, had a marvellous entrance, shop on both sides.

This one, is on Cambridge Street, I believe it's at the entrance to Leah's Yard, completely different place altogether !

Alas, Dear Admin, your Cambridge Arcade is a fraud !! At least it's not the one most people would remember, WisewoodOwl and I (both infinate in our wisdom, the Owl has bigger eyes and ears; I'm fat and balding !) have the correct fella ...

http://www.picturesh...ff.refno=s18775

Go there, not a brilliant picture, but the description reads

General view of Pinstone Street; premises on right include Empire Buildings; Nos 129-131, Richards & Co., Fancy Drapers; No 135, Barney Goodman, Tailor and Cambridge Arcade

So, that's looking up Pinstone Street, towards the town hall, Arcade was on right hand side.

This "other" Cambridge Arcade on Cambridge Street, is indeed Leah's Yard, Zoro, took this photo a couple of weeks ago, there's your yellow sign, but also Henry Leah and Sons Stamping Works right next to it.

Guest tsavo

Alas, Dear Admin, your Cambridge Arcade is a fraud !! At least it's not the one most people would remember, WisewoodOwl and I (both infinate in our wisdom, the Owl has bigger eyes and ears; I'm fat and balding !) have the correct fella ...

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=s18775

Go there, not a brilliant picture, but the description reads

General view of Pinstone Street; premises on right include Empire Buildings; Nos 129-131, Richards & Co., Fancy Drapers; No 135, Barney Goodman, Tailor and Cambridge Arcade

So, that's looking up Pinstone Street, towards the town hall, Arcade was on right hand side.

Suggs sports shop was also in the Arcade.

Join "The Campaign for the Real Cambridge Arcade", surrender Cambridge Street Infidels, resistence is fuile, Exterminate, Exterminate etc etc :rolleyes:

Free The "Cambridge Arcade Three" WisewoodOwl, Tsavo and RichardB, George Davis is Innocent, Basil Rathbone for Prime Miniter etc etc - cash gratefully received ... Campaign T-Shirts £37.50 each ("Rip-off !")

I do now have the definitive proof about Cambridge Arcade, pictures of both ends, and a picture from insiide !! Will scan and post tomorrow :rolleyes:

I do now have the definitive proof about Cambridge Arcade, pictures of both ends, and a picture from insiide !! Will scan and post tomorrow :rolleyes:

As promised :rolleyes:

First one, May 1964 from Pinstone Street. Suggs Sports to the left, Barney Goodman's to the right, Cambridge Arcade written over the Archway, Sheffield United Tours sign visible inside the Arcade, and the blind man who sold packets of lavender and matches to the left of the entrance.

Second one, Union Street end, Arcade sign much more prominent, Copper Coin Cafe and Lamb's newagents.

Third one, the Arcade itself, this is looking down the Arcade, from Pinstone Street towards Union Street. Hodgson's camera shop situated to the left of this picture.

Source : Remember Sheffield in the Fifties, Sixties and Seventies - David Richardson

Credits - Picture 1 D. J Richardson

Pictures 2 & 3 C. J. Farrant

Guest plain talker

Ahhh, richard, now.... that's the Cambridge Arcade I remember! B)

the heck with the impostors!

Do you remember the blind chap who used to stand at the Pinstone Street end of C-A, with a tray, selling things like shoelaces, matches, pens and the like?

I heard tell that, although he couldn't see, he had ears like a hawk, and could even tell if you dropped the wrong change into his cup to pay for the goods!

edit to add, OMG!!! OMG!!! I just had a closer look at the pic of the frontage of Barney Goodman, and My God!! stood there, with his tray, outside the bottom end of Suggs', is... the blind chap! !! OMG!! OMG!!

Richard B - King of the Scanners - well done mate!!

I just remember going into the Cafe at the bottom of the Arcade - Mum had coffee served in clear glass cups - I had orange squash which came from a machine which had the squash in a large clear container with real oranges floating in it.

Also note from the picture - out side the tobbaconists other side of teh arcade from the cafe. The *** machine - how long would that survive nowadays?

Guest tsavo

QUOTE(RichardB @ May 7 2007, 08:38 PM)

Third one, the Arcade itself, this is looking down the Arcade, from Pinstone Street towards Union Street. Hodgson's camera shop situated to the left of this picture.

I remember Hodgesons camera shop being both in the Arcade and on Charles St opposite the Empire theatre. What I can't remember is which came first? Anyone remember?

I have requested this link remain, with a sub-doo-dah of Pinstone Street/Union Lane and the imposter on another thread of Cambridge Arcade/Cambridge Street ! Awaiting Admin's reply; a yellow plastic sign indeed, maybe we need a poll ? lol

Guest wisewoodowl

Thanks for posting the pictures, that's just as I remember it. Having said that, I didn't realise that there was a SUT office down there.

Thanks for posting the pictures, that's just as I remember it. Having said that, I didn't realise that there was a SUT office down there.

Keep your Free The Cambridge Arcade T-Shirt (especially if it doesn't smell), it could be worth a fortune one day !

Exactly the reason for me posting it, because I don't remember the SUT ofice down there either, but the picture is good, the evidence is there; and someone might remember it being there, someone older/wiser and possessed of a bigger nose than me .... I've got you all licked on girth, mind you .... ! lol

Guest pete_s

I think there was a cafe at the bottom of Cambridge Arcade. In the fifties its name was "EL MAMBO".

The ground floor was called Heaven and the basement (which had a loud juke box) was called Hell. They sold frothy coffee from a noisy machine!

It was "cool" to be seen there!

Guest tsavo

I think there was a cafe at the bottom of Cambridge Arcade. In the fifties its name was "EL MAMBO".

The ground floor was called Heaven and the basement (which had a loud juke box) was called Hell. They sold frothy coffee from a noisy machine!

It was "cool" to be seen there!

Remember going in there and feeling very daring....Oh the daft things that we found attractive in our youth!

History has proved us right !!! Free George Davis !!! Freedom for the Ecclesfield Ecclescake Smugglers !!! etc etc

Lost in the mists of time, the blokie selling matches and jumping beans from a tray ... and there he is !

Lost in the mists of time, the blokie selling matches and jumping beans from a tray ... and there he is !

As well as the blind guy selling matches from a tray wasn't there also another bloke, claimed to be ex military who always hung around this area trying to sell cheap biros?

As well as the blind guy selling matches from a tray wasn't there also another bloke, claimed to be ex military who always hung around this area trying to sell cheap biros?

As an eight year old I probably didn't take much notice of any of 'em (1970-ish)

As an eight year old I probably didn't take much notice of any of 'em (1970-ish)

You couldn't miss this guy Richard, he would stop you in the street (a busy main road) and practically try to force you to buy a pen off him.

In fact the skill was trying to avoid him. You could walk on the opposite side of the street but that would then mean having to negotiate the end of Cambridge Street and Cross Burgess Streets in the days when there was traffic in the town centre and it was busy. The other side of the road where he was lurking between the town hall and Furnival Gate was clear of adjoining roads (except for the arcade which didn't carry any traffic).

So you could have been accosted by him walking down from the bus stop outside the Peace Gardens just to go and spend your pocket money in Redgates on Furnival gate and end up buying a pen instead.

I'm sure I have a box in the attic labelled "hard-sell pens, Sheffield, early 70's", mind you there could be alsorts of rubbish up there ...