Was This The First Chinese Restaurant?

mickjj

Hate to throw the cat in among the pigeons but I also remember as a kid being takedn to the "Peacock" in the Wicker as well :o

The monosodium glutamate food enhancer makes a world of difference but it is

banned in many countries including America.

MSG in freshly cooked and prepared food :o

Sounds like a place not to go for a Chinese meal.

Guest Jean_Helen

We went to the zing Vaa regularly in the 70`s. There was also the Kwok Man, up the stairs on the corner of Pinstone Street and Charles Street. Another one who`s name slips my mind was on West Bar, opposite the old police station. Can anyone remind me of its name?

According to today's Telegraph, the first Chinese restaurant in Sheffield was the Rickshaw, at the junction of Eldon St and Broomhall St, opened in 1957, followed soon after by the Zing Vaa on the Moor.

Looks remarkably like the Mr. Kites building ...

Richshaw

According to the telegraph (who used the same photo, taken 1976) the one pictured isn't the original but the second Rickshaw at the junction of Devonshire street and Broomhall Street, as you rightly say, later to become Mr Kite's, and now The Green Room.

I had always thought either the Zing Vaa or the Golden Dragon on Matilda Street, both of which my dad used to take me many moons ago. :)

I just noticed this thread. the Rickshaw was indeed the first Chinese restaurant in Sheffield; it opened in 1955. Here is an advertisement from the 1956 Kelly's Directory

Ah yes your right, I think someone put the  same thing on the Sheffield Forum yesterday.

Ah yes your right, I think someone put the  same thing on the Sheffield Forum yesterday.

Yes - that was me :-)

On 06/02/2014 at 15:33, RichardB said:

Looks remarkably like the Mr. Kites building ..

This was the Rick-Shaw I went in a couple of times.

The Zing Vaa certainly was Sheffield's first chinese restaurant. It was run by a bloke called Harry Yun, He was of Chinese descent but born in Sheffield. His family ran the Yun Bun Laundry at Heeley in the 50's. He had a very good business head and knew that success was all about customer service. His restaurant on The Moor was underground, below one of the shops. He used to stand at the bottom of the stairs, greeting customers as they came in. Because he was born in Sheffield he had a Sheffield accent which tended to throw you. If he recognised you as a regular visitor, he would greet you in a friendly fashion, saying "Oreyt, owd lad?" The last thing you'd expect from anyone who was obviously Chinese was an out-and-out Sheffield accent. Brilliant.

Nemen hao. According to my Chinese friend who used to do the books at the Zing Vaa it was the first Chinese Restaurant in Sheffield. I know Mr Yun's daughter who is still  around. After Mr Yun retired a member of his family opened a take away on London Road. The one near to the Dim Sum restaurant (Commonly called Tina's among our Chines Community)

. As one of a group of early 60's" likely lads" we were told that the Zing Vaa was actually owned by a white bloke and that the Rickshaw was the first Chinese nosh shop in town  Strange how memory can play tricks.

So who has a late 50's Kelly's for Fowler Street to see who had a Chinese takeaway/chip shop on there, can remember one being demolished on or very near the top of Fowler Street, by Aaron White.

On 16/02/2010 at 01:37, Buffers said:

The Zing Vaa certainly was Sheffield's first chinese restaurant. It was run by a bloke called Harry Yun, He was of Chinese descent but born in Sheffield. His family ran the Yun Bun Laundry at Heeley in the 50's. He had a very good business head and knew that success was all about customer service. His restaurant on The Moor was underground, below one of the shops. He used to stand at the bottom of the stairs, greeting customers as they came in. Because he was born in Sheffield he had a Sheffield accent which tended to throw you. If he recognised you as a regular visitor, he would greet you in a friendly fashion, saying "Oreyt, owd lad?" The last thing you'd expect from anyone who was obviously Chinese was an out-and-out Sheffield accent. Brilliant.

Thanks Buffers. Surprised no-one mentioned this one earlier. I remember it   in the late 1930's  on the right as we went up the Moor somwhere in the area of Fitzwilliam  Street. It looked odd to me because of the sign. It was a tall narrow strip up against the front and  stood out conspicuously  at right angles.. It took me ages to work out the name which was printed vertically, one letter below another. When I did I was still no wiser because it didn't mean anything. 

The area round was flattened in the Blitz but as memory serves that bit survived for ages. Unless someone knows better of course.  

On 16/02/2010 at 08:37, Guest Buffers said:

I went in there about 58 years ago and remember very well the owner, as you say so funny to see him at the bottom of the stairs talking broad Yorkshire, it was a great restaureant and we preffered it to the Rickshaw  and others.

On 09/07/2010 at 20:34, DaveH said:

MSG in freshly cooked and prepared food :o

Sounds like a place not to go for a Chinese meal.

MSG has a long history of use in traditional Chinese food.  It's also - despite all the scare stories - perfectly safe.

On 29/12/2009 at 19:51, Guest beemerboy said:

Try the Oriental on Langsett rd opened in the late 50s had a bit of a risque reputation!

Advertisement for Cafe Orientale, Indian, English and Chinese Dishes, No. 288 Langsett Road, Sheffield. 1960.

y11954.jpg.af6a4ffff3222e433a83ecdf116a4972.jpg

y11954

Image from Indian Society magazine, 1960 (Sheffield Local Studies Library: Local Pamphlets Vol. 18 042 SQ).

Advertisement for Hudsons Chop Suey Restaurant, Norfolk Street, Sheffield. 1960.

y11955.jpg.10802c599a202c7d425c91867884f825.jpgy11955

Image from Indian Society magazine, 1960 (Sheffield Local Studies Library: Local Pamphlets Vol. 18 042 SQ).

On 31/07/2015 at 12:11, neddy said:

So who has a late 50's Kelly's for Fowler Street to see who had a Chinese takeaway/chip shop on there, can remember one being demolished on or very near the top of Fowler Street, by Aaron White.

The Canton Cafe, Fowler Street: Kelly's 1957 Directory.

Screenshot_2024-03-17-10-07-02-512.jpeg

3 hours ago, southside said:

The Canton Cafe, Fowler Street: Kelly's 1957 Directory.

Screenshot_2024-03-17-10-07-02-512.jpeg

Possibly the one, I remember it being Chinese a lot of Chinese posters chucked about, never heard of a Chinese chippy at the time, we went there with one of Arron White's daughters she was a lorry driver and we as young uns scrounged a lift to watch the demolition.