Was This The First Chinese Restaurant?

mickjj

HPIM0654.JPG

Was This The First Chinese Restaurant?
I was taken here as a young lad for a birthday treat. I do not know if it was the first but has been there as long as I can remember

Guest Rowlinson

I think the first chinese was the one near Highfields library at the top of London Road.

I would say The Gambit on Commercial Street under where Jessops is, was one of the first.

They did the best Special Fun Yung in the world.

Guest Aliciamont

I was taken here as a young lad for a birthday treat. I do not know if it was the first but has been there as long as I can remember

Hi

What about The Rickshaw,it was just off West St near the Royal Hospital

I remember going in the Zing Vaa as a little girl. Fantastic food. That would be nearly fifty years ago. There used to be one on Surrey Street as well.

Guest Kathryn_1956

What about the Peacock in the Wicker I know that was there in the early 60's as I went as a young girl and I am now 50+

I think the first chinese was the one near Highfields library at the top of London Road.

If my memory is working, this was called the May Lin Hong, and was named after a girl of that name who went to Firs Hll School in the mid fifties. It was her grandfather who opened the restaurant and named it after her. Her father ran a Chinese Laundry at Page Hall.

I've heard it striaght from the dragon's mouth it was the Rickshaw

on Devonshire Street. The first one I went to.

JackD i believe you were right. I've had the map out and it looks like the

Rickshaw was on the corner of Westhill Lane and Eldon Street.

As for tsavo , I can't remember what I had but it all tasted good. lol

Can anyone remember the one at the end of Holme Lane near Hillsborough corner.

I went in the late seventies and you had to go upstairs to it but I can't recall what

they called it.

Aaaaah, The Golden Tiger!

Used to go there in the late seventies for their Monday to Saturday, 12.00 to 2.00, three course "businessman's lunch"

Starter: Soup or fruit juice

Main Course: Beef or Chicken Curry with rice or chips (can't remember what the other choices were)

Dessert: Jam Pie & Custard or Ice Cream

3 Courses = 50p

Aaaaah, The Golden Tiger!

Used to go there in the late seventies for their Monday to Saturday, 12.00 to 2.00, three course "businessman's lunch"

Starter: Soup or fruit juice

Main Course: Beef or Chicken Curry with rice or chips (can't remember what the other choices were)

Dessert: Jam Pie & Custard or Ice Cream

3 Courses = 50p

I can remember when the cost was 3/6 in most Chinese restaurants at lunch time. The one at the end of Holme Lane was a favorite.

Guest Buffers

The Zing Vaa certainly was Sheffield's first chinese restaurant. It was run by a bloke called Harry Yun, He was of Chinese descent but born in Sheffield. His family ran the Yun Bun Laundry at Heeley in the 50's. He had a very good business head and knew that success was all about customer service. His restaurant on The Moor was underground, below one of the shops. He used to stand at the bottom of the stairs, greeting customers as they came in. Because he was born in Sheffield he had a Sheffield accent which tended to throw you. If he recognised you as a regular visitor, he would greet you in a friendly fashion, saying "Oreyt, owd lad?" The last thing you'd expect from anyone who was obviously Chinese was an out-and-out Sheffield accent. Brilliant.

The Zing Vaa certainly was Sheffield's first chinese restaurant. It was run by a bloke called Harry Yun, He was of Chinese descent but born in Sheffield. His family ran the Yun Bun Laundry at Heeley in the 50's. He had a very good business head and knew that success was all about customer service. His restaurant on The Moor was underground, below one of the shops. He used to stand at the bottom of the stairs, greeting customers as they came in. Because he was born in Sheffield he had a Sheffield accent which tended to throw you. If he recognised you as a regular visitor, he would greet you in a friendly fashion, saying "Oreyt, owd lad?" The last thing you'd expect from anyone who was obviously Chinese was an out-and-out Sheffield accent. Brilliant.

Welcome to Sheffield History Buffers and thanks for your contributions so far.

I have edited your previous post because the entire text of it seemed to carry a hyperlink to another post on this site (post 0) which doesn't exist and so goes to our pink coloured error screen instead.

I assume that you did not intend to link to anything having only made 2 posts so far, - but if you did send me a PM saying what the link was supposed to connect to and I will attempt to restore it.

Hope you enjoy Sheffield History, look forward to reading more contributions from you

DaveH

Guest rcolley

The Zing Vaa and the Rickshaw were certainly there in the 1950s. Also Hudsons chinese in the Surry St area, and the Canary in Charles St were quite early contenders.

Ate in them all in the early 60s

Guest Nick Marshall

The Zing Vaa and the Rickshaw were certainly there in the 1950s. Also Hudsons chinese in the Surry St area, and the Canary in Charles St were quite early contenders.

Ate in them all in the early 60s

Used to be a very good Chinese restaurant in a basement on the corner of Norfol St and Surrey St called The Concorde. I went with my parnts in the mid to late 60s.

Anybody have some memories of this place?

Used to be a very good Chinese restaurant in a basement on the corner of Norfol St and Surrey St called The Concorde. I went with my parnts in the mid to late 60s.

Anybody have some memories of this place?

I celebrated my twenty-first birthday with a load of my fellow A.E.I. apprentices at the Concorde at the beginning of 1968.

It's a good job that we had drunk a few pints first because the meal was abysmal. Everything was swimming in the most glutinous gravy/sauce. We all chose different dishes but the one common factor was the monosodium glutamate garnish.

After that it was the Zing Vaa every time.

HD

Guest plain talker

Hi

What about The Rickshaw,it was just off West St near the Royal Hospital

My money's on The Rickshaw, too.

the Rickshaw was just behind where the Tesco is now, on West Street. There is an old Sewer-lamp marking where the building was.

My Grandparents had the maisonette above the restaurant when they started out their married life, back in the late 1930s.

there were two properties, on the junction of Eldon Stret and Broomhall Street, adjacent to each other, and, as I remember it from what my father said, one property was number 3 Eldon Street, the other was number 3 Broomhall Street. (just to confuse the poor postie!! :D )

My money's on The Rickshaw, too.

the Rickshaw was just behind where the Tesco is now, on West Street. There is an old Sewer-lamp marking where the building was.

My Grandparents had the maisonette above the restaurant when they started out their married life, back in the late 1930s.

there were two properties, on the junction of Eldon Stret and Broomhall Street, adjacent to each other, and, as I remember it from what my father said, one property was number 3 Eldon Street, the other was number 3 Broomhall Street. (just to confuse the poor postie!! :D )

I believe it was that Rickshaw too. Haven't we been through all this once before on

another site? I remember someone putting a map on of the Division Street / West Street

area where it was situated.

The monosodium glutamate food enhancer makes a world of difference but it is

banned in many countries including America.