Green Dragon Hotel

POPPYCHRISTINA

Maybe one missed out of your proprietors

Lost Sheffield By Peter Machan shows a photo of The Green Dragon on Fargate with R.H.Ramsden as proprietor written on the side. The Yorkshire Penny Bank is just being built and there are no trams.Photo is purported to be from the 1880,s.

Lost Sheffield By Peter Machan shows a photo of The Green Dragon on Fargate with R.H.Ramsden as proprietor written on the side. The Yorkshire Penny Bank is just being built and there are no trams.Photo is purported to be from the 1880,s.

I strongly suspect we've missed hundreds if not thousands .... well spotted, please keep any updates/corrections/additions coming. We never claimed a perfect listing - just one more complete and more ambitious than anyone else has attempted. Both books on the subject have a mere smattering of keepers listed.

Was this a pub, Richard?

Salt Box Psalter Lane.

Top of my head, no. Still some remains of those Cottages I believe. Can't place details at the mo, sorry, moving stuff around here .... everythings a bit lost ! lol

I strongly suspect we've missed hundreds if not thousands .... well spotted, please keep any updates/corrections/additions coming. We never claimed a perfect listing - just one more complete and more ambitious than anyone else has attempted. Both books on the subject have a mere smattering of keepers listed.

Another one from the same source, Richard.

Punch Bowl South Street 1880,s

Robert J. Barrass--Licensed retailer of foreign wines and spirits ,Ale, beer ,porter and tobacco to be consumed on the premises.

It also mentions The Sign of the Parrot, bottom of Coal Pit Lane in 1832.

George

Another one from the same source, Richard.

Punch Bowl South Street 1880,s

Robert J. Barrass--Licensed retailer of foreign wines and spirits ,Ale, beer ,porter and tobacco to be consumed on the premises.

It also mentions The Sign of the Parrot, bottom of Coal Pit Lane in 1832.

George

Today I went to take a photo of what The Green Dragon ,Fargate, looks like now. It is still the same building but obviously with shops .

Just past these buildings I went up Exchange Gateway to see if I could get any other pictures. There was an old nondescript building which must have been something in the past but to my surprise there were some large windows at the back of the shops.

I have been past Exchange Gateway thousands of times and never thought to look up there. This is what finding about Sheffield history is all about.

Sorry I put a picture on direct from picture sheffield(not allowed).

If you visit their site below and put the number s00100 in the advanced search box it should put up a photo of The Punch Bowl

http://www.picturesheffield.com/database.html

neddy, I thought putting up links was allowed though?

The Punch Bowl Inn

POPPYCHRISTINA, the photos you put on are excellent.

Guest tsavo

Just to confirm, Picture Sheffield are quite happy for us to post links to the pictures on their site (it makes a hell of a difference to their hit rate) but have asked that we don't post them directly on Sheffield History as they do not hold the copyright on all the photo's.

Neddy, if you find the pic you want and copy and paste the address into your posts, that works fine.

Laurence

Today I went to take a photo of what The Green Dragon ,Fargate, looks like now. It is still the same building but obviously with shops

Just past these buildings I went up Exchange Gateway to see if I could get any other pictures. There was an old nondescript building which must have been something in the past but to my surprise there were some large windows at the back of the shops.

I have been past Exchange Gateway thousands of times and never thought to look up there. This is what finding about Sheffield history is all about.

My dad went up that same alley in 1976 - he wrote on the back of this photo "rear of the Old Green Dragon Hotel"

My dad went up that same alley in 1976 - he wrote on the back of this photo "rear of the Old Green Dragon Hotel"

Thanks for that Phil

Guest tsavo

Think this may be the picture you're thinking of, Poppychristina, from Picture Sheffield.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=s00255