The Pepperpot Building

POPPYCHRISTINA

This is a recent photo of The Pepperpot Building at the bottom of Cambridge Street.

In Peter Machans book "Lost Sheffield" it is shown as being one of Langtons Boot shops. The rounded dome was also a small spire.

My dad used to buy our boots from Langtons on Infirmary Road.The first thing that he did was to fit triple hobs all over the bottoms of the boots before we could wear them.

Shame that they are thinking of knocking this old building down.

You can certainly tell it's going to get knocked down (unfortunately)

Is all that area getting destroyed ?

p.s. thanks for posting the pic - appreciated

You can certainly tell it's going to get knocked down (unfortunately)

Is all that area getting destroyed ?

p.s. thanks for posting the pic - appreciated

Further photos of the area to be demolished. The Casbah and The Grosvenor Hotel are to go. You can just see the old entrance to The Wapentake on the right.

Charles Street was a pub and nightclub in my days.

The City Bar was Henry,s (Upper class coffee bar-Full of snobby women during the day)

Its a total crime knocking these beautiful buildings down, town planners must well and truly be looking with their eyes shut.

I used to go to Henrys does that make me a snob or did I just go to sit in the window so everyone I knew that went by ended up going to the same club, 'see you at '#' club we used to hammer on the window, got any free tickets?'.

Sue

Its a total crime knocking these beautiful buildings down, town planners must well and truly be looking with their eyes shut.

I used to go to Henrys does that make me a snob or did I just go to sit in the window so everyone I knew that went by ended up going to the same club, 'see you at '#' club we used to hammer on the window, got any free tickets?'.

Sue

Sue, I know you are not a snob. It was the twinset and pearls brigade who frequented Coles during the day and didnt like scruffy workmen(me in my jeans) in their coffee shop.

Its a total crime knocking these beautiful buildings down, town planners must well and truly be looking with their eyes shut...

Except for Casbah which is a fantastically ugly sight.

The City Bar was Henry,s (Upper class coffee bar-Full of snobby women during the day)

The most famous pub to frequent that building was "The Barley Corn" along with it's chequred past

The most famous pub to frequent that building was "The Barley Corn" along with it's chequred past

Thanks for that,Mickjj.Here is an upto date photo .

Also Leah,s Yard, Cambridge St which is due to be saved