Black Swan Walk

Sheffield History

i remember cockayne on high street or there about .. as a child.

do you have a map showing where the white swan yard is. where the white swan pub stood and where does the white bear fit into it?

are there any earlier maps of chapel walk , fargate. someone a long time ago told me that the council had an archive centre and they recall a street map showing the name charles wilson running along side the name chapel walk does anyone know what this meant?

i have land maps of land where i live now and peoples names where at the side of the maps of land they owned, but that agricultural chapel walks been a built up area and margate for 100s of years would this have applied the same? or was my friend seeing things

tozzin you posted some pictures and maps but now you've deleted them as we see a quick flash then its gone could you load them again its vert interesting

On 2/25/2007 at 13:24, Sheffield History said:

BLACK SWAN WALK

INFORMATION

Would love some information on this one folks.. do you remember this place or know what used to be down there ?

Hi its mis-spelt 1700's land and tax records ancestry uk shows the area as Black Swan Yard (Not walk)

On 28/02/2011 at 18:48, Guest glenys said:

IMG_0200.jpg 2011_02_27 0205 .jpg

Hi

I am also interested in Black Swan Walk.

There is a carving of the word "PAIN" on the building as you enter that lane, on the left. Does anyone know what this is about??

I have attached an image here

Thanks

Glenys

Ah interesting!!

On 19/03/2014 at 12:56, tozzin said:

I walked down Black Swan Walk today to see if I could find the last remnant of White Bear Yard which is a Jennel behind the Victoria Hall but it seems its behind a pair of double doors on Chapel Walk but I did find this winding gear at the bottom of Black Swan Walk and it seems the gate that stood there was removed and the void bricked up. The black strip of metal that can be seen in the corner seems to have been part of the guide for the gate that stood here.

Black Swan Walk.jpg

Good stuff - thank you

On 07/03/2018 at 21:49, Tina said:

tozzin you posted some pictures and maps but now you've deleted them as we see a quick flash then its gone could you load them again its vert interesting

I didn't realize the photos had been deleted. Here they are once more.

Black Swan Walk.jpg

Black Swan Walk 2.jpg

Black Swan Walk 4.jpg

Black Swan Walk (2).JPG

DSC02781.JPG

11 hours ago, Sheffield History said:

Good stuff - thank you

This is my photo, same peg on the floor, same bread trays.

On 07/03/2018 at 22:46, Tina said:

Hi its mis-spelt 1700's land and tax records ancestry uk shows the area as Black Swan Yard (Not walk)

It's now named officially as Black Swan Walk - not sure when the change took place

2 hours ago, Sheffield History said:

It's now named officially as Black Swan Walk - not sure when the change took place

That's right boss

bs-walk.jpg

39 minutes ago, Sheffield History said:

Screenshot 2020-05-18 at 12.33.33.jpg

Found a photo of the White Bear pub!

I wonder if the chemist, Mr Preston, is the one who started a Preston Chemists.

• Like 1

A video walk down Black Swan Walk for anyone who hasn't been down there themselves..

I often think if it was in Leeds, doubtless, someone would have made better use of it as an attractive precinct. As it is, our City seems to be rather behind Leeds in its ideas about retail ( when we get released from "lockdown".)☺️

Do we know exactly how old these buildings are down Black Swan Walk?

The upper floors may have been part of the Howard Gallery see below.

The carving over the door of 23 Chapel Walk reads "Howard Gallery". During the 1890's the block of buildings comprising No. 9 Fargate & Nos. 1;3;5;7;9 Chapel Walk was a high class grocery establishment (The Provision Stores) run by A.H.Holland. His son Alwyn Holland, was an artist & architect. Part of the adjacent premises housed for a number of years the "New Howartd Gallery", as it was called in 1898 when the Sheffield Society of Artists held its 24th annual exhibition there. The Gallery was also used for recitals of chamber music. 1907 Directory still records it in use as a Gallery but by 1910 it is not listed and by 1913 was occupied by British Westinghouse Electric & Manufacturing Co. Ltd. & as a Billiard Hall run by Thomas Monkman (after 1916 Hibbert Brothers)

Link: