Hello

Guest Derwent

Guest Derwent

lol Hello everybody, my name is Derwent my main interests are Reservoir & Dam Building. Is anyone else interested in the same subjects.

Hello Derwent.

Glad you found us....welcome.

Given your interest... I wonder if you could help fill in a bit of information for us.

Yesterday I was watching the Dam Busters on TV for the 100000000000000th time and my other half told me that they had practiced and based thier callculations on dams near Sheffield.

This I was told was one of the reasons that the raid was not the succses that it could have been.

So is it true that the consruction of or dams are different to the German ones and while your on the subject....what can you tell us about our dams?

Jason

Guest Derwent

Regards the Dams & the Dambusters. Howden & Derwent Dams where only used to test the bomb aiming site of the Lancaster Aircraft. The dams towers where similar in design to the intended targets. No dummy bomb where ever dropped at the site as this would of most certainly damaged the upstream faces of the two dams with devastating results. The actual bomb testing was done at several secret coastal locations. Whatever the stories the Lancaster crews where men of great courage and should be remembered with pride. There is a monument to them in the West Tower of the Derwent. Dam. Regards Derwent.

Ive transcribed this, and have it lurking.

History and Description

Of The

Sheffield Water Works

By

William Terrey