Newton Chambers

Guest Trefcon

Guest Trefcon

I was up at Thorncliffe yesterday photographing the Newton Chambers Roll of Honour, to cut a long story short i found my self meeting a lady called Gloria.

She has a mini museum/archive all about Newton Chambers. Its located by the side of the estate office.

Loads of photos, maps, pictures, arifacts, company newspapers from befors ww2 etc, etc, another Sheffield gem hidden away!

She only works part time on a monday but is willing to be in the archive if some one wants to visit.

Ring the estate office first and ask for Gloria for details.

Dean.

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

I was up at Thorncliffe yesterday photographing the Newton Chambers Roll of Honour, to cut a long story short i found my self meeting a lady called Gloria.

She has a mini museum/archive all about Newton Chambers. Its located by the side of the estate office.

Loads of photos, maps, pictures, arifacts, company newspapers from befors ww2 etc, etc, another Sheffield gem hidden away!

She only works part time on a monday but is willing to be in the archive if some one wants to visit.

Dean.

This is interesting as I would love to see copies of the Thorncliffe News from the late 1950s and early 1960s. I knew a lot of people from Newton Chambers from around that time, and I wonder if any old NC folk look on this site occasionally --and whether they have any pictures to post?

There used to be a little building not far from Staindrop Lodge that was filled with old NC records, and I often wondered what had happened to it.

Deansgirl, have you thought of asking Gloria if she would like to post a few items on here?

Like this Redfyre group from about 1962

I started work in Newton Chambers foundry in 1964, I remember the old Thorncliffe News being sold for a penny a copy. I would love to see the archive. I am sure the memories would come flooding back.

Are there any more ex Thorncliffe workers members on here? I walk through regularly, stopping to have a natter with Derek the security guard in the gatehouse.

Dean.

Hi there Dean,

Just wondering if you have any more info on this Roll of Honour, the estate office and the little museum, I am visiting Yorkshire in a few weeks and would like to visit as my Great-Grandfather worked for Newton Chambers.

Cheers

Ben

Guest Trefcon

Hi Ben,

i have a list of all the names on the Roll of Honour and pics, did your Great grand father serve in the Great War ?

The 'museum' is at the back of the estate office, wether Gloria is still there i dont know as i sent her an e-mail a few months ago and had nothing back. So i suggest just go to the office and enquire, or put through a phone call first.

regards

Back.

Guest 30_degrees

I started work in Newton Chambers foundry in 1964, I remember the old Thorncliffe News being sold for a penny a copy. I would love to see the archive. I am sure the memories would come flooding back.

Are there any more ex Thorncliffe workers members on here? I walk through regularly, stopping to have a natter with Derek the security guard in the gatehouse.

Hi Nimrod,

I didn't work at NC but my Father and Granfather did. Edward Taylor worked as a gear cutter in the 60's and Cliff Brown worked there from age 13 as a gas pipe fitter, maintenance fitter and later as boiler shop foreman until he retired after 52 yrs of service. Cliff then worked as part of the Greenkeeping team at Tankersley Park Golf Club which is where I started work after leaving school in 1970.

As a little kid, I was often to be found with Dad or Gramps checking out what was going off in the works or tooting the steam whistle on own of the shunters (Toot Here) 280577_SOUNDDOGS__tr.mp3 lol

Guest 30_degrees

Dean.

Hi again Dean,

Not had time to go to the works but thanks for the information and here pictures of the tank and my Granfather Cliff Brown logging during a spell when he was laid off for a short period from NC and his retirement do from NC.

Cheers

Chris

Guest Matt1976

Hello I'm new to the forum.

I've been reading about newton chambers as I've been to the carboot sale this morning and bought some old pen/pencil drawings of some of the cricket / Football team.

Theres Billy Cawkwell, Jack Hutt, H Tattersall, D Hoy, George Fearn,G Green, H Gregory, A Jackson, W Leather, G Lomas, Mr J Stark ( Chairman ) Mr J Holmes, Mr L Gardner, Mr Byron Ibbotson, Ray Pantling, Bernard Burke, E Butler, H Shannon, H Pantling,Harry Giblin, E Webster, Mr Jock Hastings, L Thickett and the Nippies.

I can post pictures of them if anybody is intrested, any information would be appreciated.

cheers,

Matt

Guest smary

My Dad Frank Hibbert and his brother Arthur Hibbert worked at Newton Chambers for many years. I worked there in early 1970 I was secretary to Mr Colton Chief Metallurgist.

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

Hello I'm new to the forum.

I've been reading about newton chambers as I've been to the carboot sale this morning and bought some old pen/pencil drawings of some of the cricket / Football team.

Theres Billy Cawkwell, Jack Hutt, H Tattersall, D Hoy, George Fearn,G Green, H Gregory, A Jackson, W Leather, G Lomas, Mr J Stark ( Chairman ) Mr J Holmes, Mr L Gardner, Mr Byron Ibbotson, Ray Pantling, Bernard Burke, E Butler, H Shannon, H Pantling,Harry Giblin, E Webster, Mr Jock Hastings, L Thickett and the Nippies.

I can post pictures of them if anybody is intrested, any information would be appreciated.

cheers,

Matt

I can tell you that of these names the ones I recall are Louis (Bill) Gardner, who was chief clerk in the Redfyre Sales dept, and Jock Hastings, who in my time at Thorncliffe was a Redyre sales rep. Some of the other names are familiar. I had a long spell in Redyre Sales from around 1959, and was later in the Press Office at NC. I have very fond memories of my time at Newton Chambers, and, indeed, have started a Remember Newton Chambers page on Facebook (as a back-up to these SH pages), and it would be good to see you on there, too! A number of NC old timers are also on there, and they may be able to help --indeed, you may be able to encourage them to scan the SH pages.