Booth family of Bramber Street, early 20thC

Guest Firestone

Guest Firestone

Hi, I'm researching the family of James and Annie Booth, who lived at 1 Bramber St in 1901, and who were still living there at the the end of the Great War. By 1901 they had three daughters: Florence, Nelly, and Lilian. James ran a grocer's shop -- presumably at the same address -- which had previously been run by Annie's mother, Elizabeth Storey.

Can anyone provide any background information about Bramber Street and that area? Does Bramber St still exist?

Does anyone know anything more about, or have comnnections with, the Booth family?

Thank you!

As far as I can see there is no trace of Bramber Street today. On modern maps and on GoogleEarth a few nearby streets survive - Andover Street, part of Lopham Street, Spital Hill and Spital Street, but the other streets and the housing associated with them have all gone.

The most recent map at http://www.old-maps.co.uk, which is from 1938, still has the old street network intact (grid reference 435900 388500).

A snippet from the Sheffield Local Register (digest of local news):

20 Feb 1902 Receiving order made against J. A. Marson, Bramber street, Sheffield, locally known as the " Pitsmoor millionaire."

Hugh

Hi, I'm researching the family of James and Annie Booth, who lived at 1 Bramber St in 1901, and who were still living there at the the end of the Great War. By 1901 they had three daughters: Florence, Nelly, and Lilian. James ran a grocer's shop -- presumably at the same address -- which had previously been run by Annie's mother, Elizabeth Storey.

Can anyone provide any background information about Bramber Street and that area? Does Bramber St still exist?

Does anyone know anything more about, or have comnnections with, the Booth family?

Thank you!

James Brownson Booth, Grocer of 1 Bramber Street (White's 1911 and 1919, also Kelly's 1925)

Can never be certain, but, with that middle name, I think this is your man

James Broownson Booth, born Ashbourne, Derbyshire/Staffordshire registered Jan-Mar 1870.

Guest skeets

As far as I can see there is no trace of Bramber Street today. On modern maps and on GoogleEarth a few nearby streets survive - Andover Street, part of Lopham Street, Spital Hill and Spital Street, but the other streets and the housing associated with them have all gone.

The most recent map at http://www.old-maps.co.uk, which is from 1938, still has the old street network intact (grid reference 435900 388500).

A snippet from the Sheffield Local Register (digest of local news):

20 Feb 1902 Receiving order made against J. A. Marson, Bramber street, Sheffield, locally known as the " Pitsmoor millionaire."

Hugh

Next door to the grocers was a very good chippy for years 47/60 era [Crosslands], across on the other corner was the well known butcher[ Mattocks] Skeets

James B Booth, 31, born Ashburn, Derbyshire, Grocer

Annie Booth, 27, born Sheffield

Clara Storey, 23, Sister in Law, Grocers Assistant

Nelly Booth, 3 years

Lilian Booth, 2 years

Florence E Booth, 8 months

1 Bramber Street, Brightside Bierlow

Parish : Wicker, Holy Trinity

neighbour, out of interest, was Henry Smith the fish merchant.

John Booth, 41, Land agent and farmer, Staffordshire

Maisie E Booth, wife, 18, Colslow, Nottingham (suggest she's not James Mother !!!)

James Booth, 21, Farm servant, Ashbourne, Derbyshire

plus a bunch of others

Margsel Blandina 5

Ann Booth 11

Cecil Booth 3

Evylin Booth 17

Florice Booth 6

John Booth 41

Mary I Booth 8

Olive Booth 5

Margbel Brown 42

John Booth, 33, Land steward, born Alton, Staffordshire

Mary Jane Booth, 30, born Ashbourne, Derbyshire

James Booth, 11, scholar, Ashbourne, Derbyshire

Annie Booth 1

Evelyn Booth 7

Martha Pegg, 75, Visitor, Monthly Nurse

Guest Firestone

Thank you all for your generous help. I know quite a bit about the Booths going back in time, and other branches, but it is this particular Sheffield contingent, and what happened to them next, that is a mystery to me ...

Tentative investigation of the youngest daughter in 1901:

GRO Births SEP Qtr 1900

BOOTH Florence Elsie

Sheffield 9c 592

GRO Marriages SEP QTR 1921

BOOTH Florence E (RIPLEY) Ecclesall B. 9c 759

RIPLEY George (BOOTH) Ecclesall B. 9c 759

GRO Deaths 1993

RIPLEY Florence Elsie

date of birth: 12-AUG-1900

death registered (district): Claro

District Code: 6501C

Register No.: C38A

entry: 049

date death registered: Dec [month] 1993

I had never heard of Claro but there is information about the Regsistration District here.

Hugh

More tentative when there is only one given name, but here goes:

GRO Births DEC Qtr 1898

BOOTH Lilian

Sheffield 9c 567

GRO Marriages MAR Qtr 1921

BOOTH Lilian (GALLEY) Sheffield 9c 1150

GALLEY Alfred (BOOTH) Sheffield 9c 1150

GRO Deaths 1985

GALLEY Lilian

date of birth: 28-SEP-1898

death registered: SHEFFIELD

Vol no.: 3

page: 1330

Date registered: JAN [month] 1985

In each case the date of birth from the birth certificate should conclusively rule these marriages in or out.

Hugh

Can't find a marriage for a Nelly with a 'y' at FreeBMD (in this area) but FreeBMD are still working on the 1920's.

There are several possible marriages of Nellies spelled 'Nellie' but I can't make a firm link via the date of birth in the death index. Unless that is she acquired a middle intial 'S' , married a TOMKINS and had some connection with South Bucks lol (maybe near where I grew up).

Or maybe she didn't marry, or died before 1984.

Hugh

Thank you all for your generous help. I know quite a bit about the Booths going back in time, and other branches, but it is this particular Sheffield contingent, and what happened to them next, that is a mystery to me ...

I lived in Brunswick road back in the days when the whole area was housing and remember Bramber street well, mind you I dont remember a grocer's there, Gowers was on the corner of Spital street and Nottingham street and on the opposite corner there was a green grocer called 'Langleys' just up the road from that on Spital street was a small sweet shop called Booth's where my ration slip went with my threpenny bit. I was back in England last year but that whole area has changed now and many of the old sreets no longer excist.

Found this posting many many years after you did this research but thank you so much! Lillian married Alfred Galley, their son Kenneth Galley was my grandad, married to Herta Galley née Bernstein and lived in Doncaster, then Newcastle.

My mum met Nelly a few times, she wasn't married.