Loxley Police House

Guest coffee cup

A WALK ROUND LOW BRADFIELD - (WALK I)

The total walk- is relatively short but to take in all the above detail takes around 1 hour and is mainly on roads or well maintained footpaths.

Starting from the village car park- the stream on the left is AGDEN BECK and comes through AGDEN RESERVOIR and joins DALE DYKE BECK a hundred yards downstream and into Damflask reservoir before forming the River Loxley. The house on the light is NETHER FARM built around I 820 Leave the car park by the road and bear left, opposite was the former LOW BRADFIELD JUNIOR & INFANT SCHOOL and SCHOOL HOUSE. The school was built in 1867 to replace one on a different site that was washed away in the SHEFFIELD FLOOD OF 1864. The school closed in 1985 with 32 scholars being transferred to nearby DUNGWORTH SCHOOL. The school and house have been sold to a private buyer.

After passing the bus shelter bear fight into MILL LEE ROAD and cross CHAPEL BRIDGE (which crosses DALE DYKE BECK), this was completely washed away in the flood. Below the bridge was once a sheep/cattlewash where livestock was washed before being auctioned at the nearby PLOUGH INN. The building on the left is the former W'ESLEYAN CHAPEL built in 1817 and housed 52 teachers and 154 scholars. It was a temporary school following the destruction of the old school due to the flood, it is now the headquarters of BRADFIELD PARISH COUNCIL, on the wall below the building is a stone dragon rescued from a derelict works in OUGHTIBRIDGE.

On the light is the new WESLEYAN CHAPEL opened in 1899 at a cost of f.1585 to seat 190 adults. It held its last service in August 1993 and was sold to a private buyer for and converted to a household.

Next on the right are the FILTER HOUSES, built in 1913 and extended in 1954, it has units and filters water from STRINES, DALE DYKE and AGDEN reservoirs. In 1930 it had the first telephone installed in Bradfield. The premises closed in 1994 following the completion of the new Water Treatment Works in the Loxley Valley.

On the left are 6 Council houses and 1 private house built during the 1960's. Turn left at the PLOUGH INN, (the road ahead goes to Ughill) originally built as a farmhouse, in 1841 listed as a BEERHOUSE and officially listed by the brewery in 1847. The archway was "blocked in" during 1960's when alterations took place, and was previously used to take cattle into the auction yard at the rear of the building. The houses on the left are PLOUGH COTTAGES.

The houses, next on the left (GLEBE COURT), completed in 1990/91 as a joint venture between PEAK PARK PLANNING, BRADFIELD PARISH COUNCIL and SHEFFIELD CITY COUNCIL as a "low cost housing scheme" to cater for local needs, and consist of 2,3 and 4 bedroom houses. All residents must have local connections to qualify for tenancy.

Looking across to the tight, in the distance is FOXHOLES FARM with its "castleated" walls can probably best described as "folly". Turn left at the POLICE HOUSE built cl960 (the original police house was the middle house in a row of cottages half a mile farther on the road), this is SCHOOL LANE, the farm on the fight is MILL FARM, whilst on the left is FAR FOLD built in 1735 and withstood the flood. In the area close to the bridge stood the original school built around 1706 and was completely destroyed 'in the flood. The headmaster Mr NICHOLLS) and his family managed to escape to safety by running up the steps opposite the end of the bridge and on to higher ground. DAWLASK RESERVOIR is on the right.

After crossing the bridge, turn left, on this site stood a three storey corn MM. (records show a corn MM at Bradfield from around 1218, although obviously numerous rebuilds over the centuries) The last corn mill replaced one destroyed in the flood and was driven by a water turbine. (As opposed to a water wheel for the previous mills) Unfortunately the corn mill caught fire in 1940 and was completely destroyed and never rebuilt. The mill race and dam remains can be seen over the wall on the left just before reaching SMlTHY GARAGE. The garage was previously a BLACKSTSMIHS SHOP until the late 1930's.

Cross the road, the sportsfield (official name DODGE CROFT) was donated by Mr. EBBOTSON (note the memorial plaque/stone on the wall) contains BOWLS, CRICKET, TENNIS and the VILLAGE HALL.

Bear right keeping beside the field wall, the group of houses ahead are BURNSIDE COTTAGES, the earliest of which date back to around 1625, (it is believed that this is where the first victim of the flood occurred when a two day old baby was washed from its mothers arms) whilst behind is THORN HOUSE, where the mill owner at the time of the flood resided. Moving further on BURNSIDE HOUSE is the large house on the right we come to WOODFALL LANE that leads to HIGH BRADFIELD. This piece of road referred to locally as "The Street" with the POST OFFICE/VILLAGE SHOP on the right and the former CROSS INN on the left comer. The inn closed around 1980 and was converted into a private house.

Do not turn up WOODFALL LANE, but walk along THE SANDS, with the VILLAGE HALL on the left, cross the stream by the footbridge and return to the car park, -. The village hall was built just before the Second World War and used for the entire village functions etc.

The answer found here - http://www.bradfield-walkers.org.uk/Walks/LowBradfield.html

Guest coffee cup

What about the second one, I think it was built in the 1950's, it was further up the Road near Long Lane.

Are there any photos ??

I remember seeing a sign pointing to it many years ago saying Police.

Guest coffee cup

Yes admin I would like to know about the second Police House, just before Long lane on Loxley Road.

I have managed to work out where the original one was but I believe the second one was built in the 1950's.

I only know this because many many years ago my dad found a wage packet on Loxley Road, and this Police House was the nearest place he could hand it in. From what my dad can remember, the Police Man gave him the third degree, as to the contents. The wage packet contained a full weeks wages, and I think this was before Police Officers had radios !!!!!!!!!!

As I am new to this site is there a private message facility ?????

Certainly is !

Just click on the username of the person you want to send a PM to and it will open up the facility for you

Click username

Click 'send message'

This will take you to the message screen

Let's narrow it down to help our search

Here's a picture from above showing the area from the Admiral Rodney to Long Lane

As you can see on one side a bank of houses, on the other a single house

Any idea which it would have been ?

Guest coffee cup

:o The map is difficult to see, I know the Police house is on the left hand side of loxley road coming up from the Admiral Rodney it is opposite Loxley Pavillion, I think this used to be a cricket pavillion, many years ago, it is now just a park area although the pavilion building is still there

:o:o :o

Got it - the pavilion is on the picture (I figured it out from the shape of the roof on the pavilion picture and matched it to the arial shot) - it's the one building stood on it's own on the left hand side as you come out of sheffield, opposite the Admiral Rodney

That means the police house will be amongst the houses opposite and almost definitely still there..

Guest coffee cup

I think the first Police Officer to live in the new Police House at Loxley was called Pickering.

Admin I think your first reply to this was infact the Police House at Bradfield.

This was situated opposite the Plough Pub at Low Bradfield and the Police House was recently sold, and I think is now rented out, although I am not sure about this.

:mellow: :mellow: