Landlord of pub on Carlisle Road

PhilT

This is a photo taken in the sixties. I think it shows the landlord and his wife with a few other people outside a pub, probably the Wellington, on Carlisle Road.

That's not the Wellington I remember. Perhaps I have the wrong name. It was on Carlisle Road roughly opposite the bottom of Moss Street before they were all knocked down. My father was a regular there and he took the photograph.

It certainly was The Wellington. All of us who worked at English Steel Corp on Brightside Lane in the 1960's used it a lot. In the late 50's and early 60's the melting shop men from the Open Hearth furnaces ( which closed about 1963 I think) used to get their beer from there. They got it in large 5 gallon containers and it was used to replenish the liquid they lost from the heat- before salt tablets were used !!

I worked with an old melter about 1965 and he thought nothing of drinking in excess of 20 pints in a day !!

It certainly was The Wellington. All of us who worked at English Steel Corp on Brightside Lane in the 1960's used it a lot. In the late 50's and early 60's the melting shop men from the Open Hearth furnaces ( which closed about 1963 I think) used to get their beer from there. They got it in large 5 gallon containers and it was used to replenish the liquid they lost from the heat- before salt tablets were used !!

I worked with an old melter about 1965 and he thought nothing of drinking in excess of 20 pints in a day !!

JohnM,

Isn't this the pub being talked about?

Wellington Inn

124 Carlisle Road

Open 1868 Closed Span

Comments

Earlier

1948 Albert Leek

1951 Albert Leek

The photo is the Wellington at the corner of Brightside Lane & Hawke Street (the one the Germans used to navigate their bombing runs during the war).

Guest skeets

JohnM,

Isn't this the pub being talked about?

Wellington Inn

124 Carlisle Road

Open 1868 Closed Span

Comments

Earlier

1948 Albert Leek

1951 Albert Leek

The photo is the Wellington at the corner of Brightside Lane & Hawke Street (the one the Germans used to navigate their bombing runs during the war).

PhilT is correct re the Wellington on Carlisle rd iv'e been in several times Skeets