Help needed with photo please

Guest TexxUK

Guest TexxUK

This is a photo of my Great Aunt Lily (front row second left). She was born in August 1906 and lived in Hermitage Street, Sheffield. I need help with the following questions:

1. What's the event (e.g. is it the end of the war?)
  2. Where is it? (given that Lily came from Hermitage Street, off London Road)
  3. What is the group? (is it school? is it a Girls Brigade type thing?)
The rear of the photo lists the following names:

Back Row L-R: Marion Bliss, Florry Heald, Winnie Beadle, Marjorie Michael, Florry Lomas, Doris Atkin, Hilda Fox

2nd Row: Rhoda Saywell, Beatrice Brookes, Edith Barry, Gertrude Lissaman, Lucy Collins, Winnie Plant, Mary Schofield, Winnie Harpham, Nellie Slater, Marjorie Holleley?

3rd Row: Doris Davenport, Alice Newton, Elsie Wright, Edna Briggs, Winnie Fuller, Miss Hiller or Mrs. Charlesworth, Edith Smith, Florry ?, Lydia Wood, Sybil Walton

Front Row: Isabell Hudson, Lily Battersby, Lily Longmuir, Winifred Holleley, Evelyn Venables, Martha Gibbs, Priscilla Briggs, Dora Fredlieb, Lily Nash

(spellings as original)

Lily doesn't name the girl in uniform on the right of the group.

Please rescan at the highest resolution the Medal each girl in wearing plus the person at the extreme right, wearing the hat.

Don't know if I can help, but the rescans might help someone help you.

Also rescan the girl to the immediate right of Lily, different flags ... France and Italy ????

The decorative grill behind the girls, school ? Church?

Born 1906

Work out the age of the children (e.g 10 would make it 1916) - that might give you a clue to what they are celebrating ?

The one on the right appears to be wearing a girl guide uniform. G.Guides were formed in 1909, wonder if this is some sort of guide celebration.

Guest tsavo

At a guess I would say it's a Girl Guides photo and the event "Empire Day" hence the Union Flag dresses.

What are the flags on the tabbards either side of Lily ?

Large flags on the aprons look like Norway?!

Some interesting information about Girl Guide Uniforms from a BBC site...

1909: When Guides first started, Baden-Powell said that the colour of the uniform should be chosen by the Guide Company. By 1911, the colour blue had been introduced. Guides wore a dark blue blouse with pockets on the breast, a long dark blue skirt, a felt wide-brimmed hat and a blue tie.

1917: A shorter skirt, which finished just below the knee, was introduced. The shirt changed; it was made longer, had pockets just about the hem and on the breast and was worn with a belt. A yellow tie was also worn, replacing the blue one.

That one definitely looks like the 1917 style!

Hugh

The top left flag on the girls flanking Lily looks most like a German flag, with the pale stripe (yellow) on one side. This style of German flag was not in use between 1866 and 1919 (according to German Flag History

In some places (admittedly mostly in the colonies it seems example) there were peace medals issued to mark the Versailles Peace Treaty in 1919.

Are the girls old enough for it to be 1919?

Even when celebrating the peace would English school children be displaying a german flag?

Did they have such medals in this country anyway?

The last point culd be checked in the local newspapers. The treaty was signed 28 Jun 1919.

Hugh

Two national days of celebration were declared following the signing of the Treaty of Versailles. The main event, for the whole population, was to be on Saturday 19th July 1919. But before that, on Thursday 17th, there was a children's day. In Sheffield all 90,000 schoolchildren took part in some way. There was a central event in Town Hall Square, and 5 others in city parks or open spaces.

This is a rather murky picture from the Sheffield Daily Independent (18 Jul 1919):

This is taken at the central event in Town Hall Square. The main characters portrayed are the Lord Mayor and the Lady Mayoress, but the three girls are wearing a familiar style of dress. In fact, (and this is probably wishful thinking) compare the girl on the left with the girl third from left in the third row in the main photograph!

The children assembled first at their schools. Each was at that point to be given a peace medal (though in the end some didn't receive their's till after the event). Here is a photograph of the medal...

Although representatives from every school were present at the Town Hall there wasn't room for everyone, so contningents would have headed for the 'satellite' events, which were held at Meersbrook Park, High Hazels Park, Crookesmoor Recreation Ground (?Ponderosa), Hillsborough Park, and Firth Park.

For a school group from the area of Hermitage Street I am guessing that they might go to Meersbrook Park. This is a list of the schools represented there:

Gleadless Road C.

Heeley Bank C.

Norton Lees C.

Norton C.

Meersbrook Bank C.

Woodseats C.

Heeley C.E.

St. Barnabas' (Cecil Rd)

St. Barnabas' (Alderson Rd.)

St. Simon's C.E.

St. Silas' C.E.

Abbeydale C.

St. Mary's C.E.

Valley Road Myope

Sharrow Lane C. (Junior)

Duchess Road C. (Junior)

Lowfield C.

Carter Knowle C.

St. Wilfred's R.C.

Pomona Street C.

St. Marie's R.C.

I am not sure what the 'C' on its own is - county?! City??

Hugh

Guest TexxUK

Brilliant! I should have put this pic up ages ago. Many thanks to the people who have replied, especially Hugh for his research. I have very little knowledge about Lily. She was born 29 August 1906 to Edward Battersby and his wife Lily (Cook) . They lived at 5/10 Hermitage Street, Sheffield. I have couple of photos of her but thats all. I think she died young but I can find no information for this so far.

On the rear of this photo the names of everyone are written in faint pencil, shall I post them for the benefit of everyone else?

Thanks again to you HughW, you seem to have hit the nail right on the head! I'm very grateful. What a great site!

Hi Hugh Excellent find i would think C.E was Church of England and C therefore Catholic ( maybe )

The catholic schools all have RC after the name (Roman Catholic). I'm sure the C is for County, meaning a state school, as Hugh suggested.

On the rear of this photo the names of everyone are written in faint pencil, shall I post them for the benefit of everyone else?

I think it would be an excellent idea to post the names here :)

Apart from anything else, the names will be findable via search engines and someone with more information might surf in at some point lol

I also think that the Local Studies Library would appreciate a high resolution scan to add to their database.

Hugh

Superb work as always everyone !!

Well done and thank you - it's work like this that makes Sheffield History such a fantastic website !

You know when you see a big moth at night fluttering away at a light and you think why are you doing that you idiot ? Here's my contribution ...

Back Row L-R:

Marion Bliss born Oct-Dec 1906 Ecclesall Bierlow,

Florry Heald, Florence May Heald b. Apr-Jun 1906, E.B.

Winnie Beadle, Winifred Beadle b. Jan-Mar 1906, E.B.

Marjorie Michael, found nothing

Florry Lomas, Florence Lomas b. Jul-Sep 1905, E. B.

Doris Atkin, b. Apr-Jun 1905, E.B

or Oct-Dec 1908, E.B (two possible)

Hilda Fox, b. Apr-Jun 1906, E.B.

2nd Row:

Rhoda Saywell, b. Jul-Sep 1906, E.B.

Beatrice Brookes, b. Jan-Mar 1905, ?

Edith Barry, possibly Leeds, b. Apr-Jun 1907 ?

Gertrude Lissaman, b. Oct-Dec 1907, E. B.

Lucy Collins, b. Jan-Mar 1906, E.B.

Winnie Plant, Mary Winifred Plant

either Jan-Mar 1907, E.B.

or Jul-Sep 1905, E.B.

Mary Schofield, Mary Eveline Schofield, b. Jan-Mar 1907, E.B.

Winnie Harpham, Elizabeth Winifred Harpham, b. Jul-Sep 1907, Sheffield

Nellie Slater, b. Oct-Dec 1906, E.B.

Marjorie Holleley? ???

3rd Row:

Doris Davenport, Doris Almeda Davenport, b. Apr-Jun 1906, E.B.

Alice Newton,

either Jan-Mar 1906, E.B.

or Apr-Jun 1906

Elsie Wright, Oct-Dec 1905, E.B.

Edna Briggs, Jan-Mar 1906, E.B.

Winnie Fuller, Oct-Dec 1907, E.B.

Miss Hiller or Mrs. Charlesworth,

Edith Smith, to many to work it out

Florry ?, ???

Lydia Wood, Hemsworth ? Jan-Mar 1905 ?

Sybil Walton, Jul-Sep 1908, E.B.

Front Row:

Isabell Hudson, ??

Lily Battersby, Oct-Dec 1906, E.B.

Lily Longmuir, Apr-Jun 1906, E.B.

Winifred Holleley, ???

Evelyn Venables, Jul-Sep 1908. E. B.

Martha Gibbs, Jan-Mar 1906. E.B.

Priscilla Briggs, Jul- Sep 1908, E.B.

Dora Fredlieb, ???

Lily Nash

either Jan-Mar 1906, E.B.

or Oct-Dec 1906, E.B.

(Spellings as original)

"Born" = Registered, could easily be a couple of months out, as per Lily.

Hope someone gets something from this :rolleyes:

You know when you see a big moth at night fluttering away at a light and you think why are you doing that you idiot ? Here's my contribution ...

And if there are two moths, you are are thinking, "which stupid moth is going gets its wings burnt off first?"

HOLLELY only has one 'e':

HOLLELY Marjorie (GRO Births MAR Qtr 1906 Ecclesall B. 9c 481)

HOLLELY Winifred (GRO Births DEC Qtr 1908 Ecclesall B. 9c 481)

FREDLIEB is a mis-spelling (is it like that in the original?):

FREDLEIB Dora (GRO Births SEP Qtr 1907 Sheffield 9c 533)

There is this Directory entry:

White's 1919/20

Lansdowne Road

103 Fredleib Bernard, traveller

One more:

HUDSON Isabel (GRO Births DEC Qtr 1906 Ecclesall B. 9c 380)

Shame we can't identify the teacher/adult - that might lead to the school.

We can have more fun with these when the 1911 census is released!

Hugh

And if there are two moths, you are are thinking, "which stupid moth is going gets its wings burnt off first?"

Nice work, I thought I was Mr Moth ! Hope someone gets something from it all.

Much Credit to SheffieldHistory from a simple photo request; bring 'em on. I didn't have much to do with the start of this, but I loved contributing.

Guest TexxUK

There are some amazing, helpful people on this site! BTW Hugh, yes, it is spelled FREDLIEB on the rear of the original, but then Lily was only 13 at the time. I don't think the teacher could have been Lily's usual teacher as she isn't sure of her name (Miss Hiller or Mrs. Charlesworth).

I have a few other photographs that require help, I definitely know where to come!

Guest JackD

The catholic schools all have RC after the name (Roman Catholic). I'm sure the C is for County, meaning a state school, as Hugh suggested.

I think C is for County.i went to Springfield County School, for instance.

JackD.