Banner Cross map

RichardB

From the position of the farm relative to Dobbin Hill, my best guess so far is Hall Farm, which was the 'home' farm for Banner Cross Hall, and stood at the bottom of what's now Ringinglow Road. There are some buildings remaining which are now used by All Saints church as offices etc. I wouldn't put any money on being right though! the main house on the plan looks rather grand for a home farm. It's not helped by Fairbank not marking North on his sketches!

From the position of the farm relative to Dobbin Hill, my best guess so far is Hall Farm, which was the 'home' farm for Banner Cross Hall, and stood at the bottom of what's now Ringinglow Road. There are some buildings remaining which are now used by All Saints church as offices etc. I wouldn't put any money on being right though! the main house on the plan looks rather grand for a home farm. It's not helped by Fairbank not marking North on his sketches!

See map and further details in other maps Area

Guest ms armchair

I have been trying to find out some of the history of Hadfield/Hatfield House, that stands at the junction of Ringinglow Road and Ecclesall Road South. I know it was associated with the buildings that are now the church's Parish Halls and have looked at this map in archives but could not make head nor tail of it! I would be interested in any info on 'Hall Farm' or if anyone does know anything about Hadfield House.

I have been trying to find out some of the history of Hadfield/Hatfield House, that stands at the junction of Ringinglow Road and Ecclesall Road South. I know it was associated with the buildings that are now the church's Parish Halls and have looked at this map in archives but could not make head nor tail of it! I would be interested in any info on 'Hall Farm' or if anyone does know anything about Hadfield House.

Hi and welcome to SH forum,

not much help but Hatfield House can be seen on the 1951 OS map.

A link ... Here to map #202

Guest Gramps

See - http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/i...ost&p=43452

Have replied to this in Sheffield Maps and Plans section. Can't upload images from this section.

Steve - your Banner Cross image above appears just as a link to me rather than a thumbnail image.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ms armchair asked for details of Hatfield House at Banner Cross.

Mary M Bramhill,in her book How They Lived in Old Ecclesall 1600 - 1800 mentions Hatfield House but has nothing to say on the history of it.

Quote: "At the bottom of Ringinglow Road was Hatfield House (still there and not too much altered), some cottages and the Hall farm; the old Church Hall is part of the remains of this."

These two map sections suggest thst the house is later than the farm which became the parish hall. Fairbank shows just one building next to the church on his 1795 map. The 1855 OS map shows both the farm and Hatfield House.

The Elizabethan Banner Cross Hall was replaced with a new mansion by Lord John Murray in 1817/18. It is possible that someone took advantage of the surplus stone available from the old hall to build a new house across the road but that is just conjecture of course.