Sheffields transformation

knightstemplar

If you haven't been down the Moor for a bit you will be suprised that some of it is missing. They are starting to demolish the lower part of the shopping precinct. If you wanted to take a photo before it goes, you are too late.

Guest transit

If you haven't been down the Moor for a but you will be suprised that some of it is missing. They are starting to demolish the lower part of the shopping precinct. If you wanted to take a photo before goes you are too late.

Did anyone take a photo of the shops before demolition as my daughter worked at Ethel Austins bang in the centre of the "demolition". Reconise the site as we used to pick her up after work down the side of Lloyds TSB as in pic 1.

Did anyone take a photo of the shops before demolition as my daughter worked at Ethel Austins bang in the centre of the "demolition". Reconise the site as we used to pick her up after work down the side of Lloyds TSB as in pic 1.

I would have thought so. :unsure: Don't Sheffield council take photos of areas to be demolished. For historical issues. Probably not. :(

Sue

I would have thought so. :unsure: Don't Sheffield council take photos of areas to be demolished. For historical issues. Probably not. :(

Sue

They certainly used to. Don't know whether they still have their own photographer now though.

Guest carlie167

Oh bugger!! This is what happens when you tun your back for 5 minutes :o Must get down soon and get some pics of whats left before its too late and its all gone. :(

Oh bugger!! This is what happens when you tun your back for 5 minutes :o Must get down soon and get some pics of whats left before its too late and its all gone. :(

Another place knocked down last week. The Marquis of Granby.Bamford.Had plenty of good times there in the sixties,

Another place knocked down last week. The Marquis of Granby.Bamford.Had plenty of good times there in the sixties,

How sad, dont people go out to pubs in the countryside anymore. Used to pass it when we went to Castleton as kids on the bus.

Sue

Guest carlie167

Found this pic of the Moor, near Marks and Spencer, taken in 1983. It must have been round Christmas time as you can see the decorations. Also one taken last year of the Pump Tavern, guess thats gone now. <_<

Guest carlie167

Oops sorry! just noticed the date on the first one is October so they must have been getting ready for Christmas, as wasnt the switch on around early November? Dont you think it looks nice and bustling there? lol

Most interesting, how much of it are they intending to knock down ? The whole lot might be a good idea !!

I would imagine it all went up at the same time. So I think they will probably take one side out at a time but it all will go I suppose.

An awful main street, my wife (non-Sheffielder) can't understand why I'm in favour of the whole lot coming down, those pplans were in place in the 1950's. It's not historic, it's not attractive, it may generate jobs, it may be less ugly.

Any chance of that ugly pyramid-thingie coming down ?

Most interesting, how much of it are they intending to knock down ? The whole lot might be a good idea !!

I Heard they are making a indoor market down there, thats why they are pulling most of the buildings down to erect a huge creation of a 57,000 sq ft indoor market with around 110 market stalls and 2 car parks inc a multi-storey car park. I have read that the cost will be £600 million, so it will probably come out of our taxes!!

I took this one last year when I was home.

Does this revive the memories???

Guest seanylove

so is everthing comin down then evan sainsbuys and debenhams and all up that way ????????????/

Blimey can't believe the marquis has gone, it was a wonderful imposing building but has been left to rack and ruin over the last few years. I can remember going to a mates 21st birthday do there...mind you that was 21 years ago.... lol :blink:

Blimey can't believe the marquis has gone, it was a wonderful imposing building but has been left to rack and ruin over the last few years. I can remember going to a mates 21st birthday do there...mind you that was 21 years ago.... lol:blink:

Zeb,

the main part has come down but part of it is to be opened as a pub. I will post a photo next week.

Zeb,

the main part has come down but part of it is to be opened as a pub. I will post a photo next week.

oh thats a bit better news. Wonderful building it did seem to me quite odd that it was not going to be developed as something...

look forward to seeing the photo's poppychristina

There's an archaeological survey of the Marquis of Granby from 2006 at the link below:

http://archaeologydataservice.ac.uk/catalogue/adsdata/arch-424-1/dissemination/pdf/archaeol5-13693_1.pdf

Brief extract:

The earliest maps available for the area (1842 Tithe Map) show the building standing as the Sickleholme Farm. The 1880 Ordnance Survey Map gives the site as the Sickleholme Public House and the 1881 Kelly’s Trade Directory lists the building as the Marquis of Granby under the ownership of James Belfield. This evidence shows that the original Sickleholme Farm as noted in the 1860 Trade Directory became an Inn, possibly due to the increased through trade related to the large amounts of lead mining in the moors to the South

Zeb,

It is a few years since I was last out that way, but I must admit that I find it astonishing that any building as well built and as substantial as the MoG was should be desecrated in this way.

No doubt the demolished bits will be replaced by another rash of modern brick and concrete edifices.

Guest plain talker

Any chance of that ugly pyramid-thingie coming down ?

Did you mean the bandstand, or the Manpower Services building, Richard?

If you meant the bandstand, it's gone, kaput, smashed....I trundled my way past this afternoon, and the bandstand and the stalls are all demolished.

It is a few years since I was last out that way, but I must admit that I find it astonishing that any building as well built and as substantial as the MoG was should be desecrated in this way.

No doubt the demolished bits will be replaced by another rash of modern brick and concrete edifices.

From their website