Dolphin St. Darnall.

Hjdary

Evening all.

Just came home after having a night out with some friends who were telling us about Dolphin St in Darnall.

My friend lived there in his youth. We looked on Picture Sheffield for some images of the area but couldn't find anything at all.

Has anyone got any pictures of the street....I've seen two images of the street after it was blown down but nothing with the houses intact.

Jason

Guest Trefcon

Hi Jason, here with Dolphin St allotments. I have lost my photo of the street, but i think Knight's Templar has got one. There is a very interesting thread of Dolphin St on Sheffield Forum.

I've just had a read the thread on SF.

After looking at the maps they had I managed to find the remains of the street on google earth and if I'm right its just out the back of Macro's car park.

Looking at the map you can see the triangular rail junction and the bridge just above the street and on the google earth shot the same points can be seen and what looks like a green strip of bushes which I think must have been the street its self.

I would love to find a shot of the street itself for my friend as he seems to have such fond memories of the place.

• Like 1

Didnt know there was a heliport there until I looked on google earth.

As you can see from SF, Dean and I have been discussing this with Ronty who supplied the war memorial photo.

Sue

Guest Trefcon

Sue, didn't we have fun with that memorial!!

I would love to see a photo of the actual street as well.

Dean.

Sue, didn't we have fun with that memorial!!

I would love to see a photo of the actual street as well.

Dean.

Cant find any of the street itself but you might have found this under Broad Oaks

Picture Sheffield Broad Oaks

I think we had about 3 websites looking for the names on the memorial in total. There will be a separate section in the Roll of Honour for Darnall for their names, I couldn't include them in the first bit but I couldn't discount them as I have 2 people who have helped me whos relatives are included.

Sue

Had a ride down there this morning with my son to see if we could find the remains of the street.

We got as far as the gate for Record Tools and found the old enterance to the street is now gated too so without leaving the car behind we were unable to get any further. I didnt want to leave the car there as I was in my work car with all my tools in the back.

So that we didn't waste the visit all together we popped into Costco and had a hotdog or twelve....as you do!

mmmmmm hotdogggggg *drools like Homer*

Guest yorkshireman

Hi Jason, used to go to Dolphin street, my father had some piggery's there. A beer off shop was situated on the very bottom of the street where he would buy drought beer. It was owned by a ms. Hanna Drake. The Nunnery colliery was on the other side where we could use the canteen facilities, very happy memories.

Hi all just discovered this thread. My mum lived on Dolphin Street and my Grandad worked at the pit (Nunnery Colliery). She always talks about having to cross the train bridge to go to school and there was a fella with a Bulldog who lived near the train crossing who scared her with the dog. She also mentioned the pig sties that put my Grandad off from eating Pork ~ sorry Guest Yorkshire Man! I see this is a very old thread but if anyone is interested I’ve found a photo of Dolphin Street and the Pit, the train crossing and the pig sties 

EPW048474.jpg

There is a photograph of Dolphin Street on Picture Sheffield s14951, taken after rainstorm flooding 21st September 1960 by Sheffield Newspapers Ltd. Sometimes the floodwater reached the 2nd step on the railway bridge. The reporter names Beatrice Johnson running the corner shop and  residents Doreen Etches, daughter Lesley and Mrs. Lily Goudridge. It also relates a compulsory purchase order had been made on 40 houses but residents couldn't be rehoused for 5 years. 

Edit: Link added

3 minutes ago, Ponytail said:

There is a photograph of Dolphin Street on Picture Sheffield s14951, taken after rainstorm flooding 21st September 1960 by Sheffield Newspapers Ltd. Sometimes the floodwater reached the 2nd step on the railway bridge. The reporter names Beatrice Johnson running the corner shop and  residents Doreen Etches, daughter Lesley and Mrs. Lily Goudridge. It also relates a compulsory purchase order had been made on 40 houses but residents couldn't be rehoused for 5 years. 

Edit: Link added

Sorry didn't know how to do the link.