Tunnels under Sheffield

Sheffield History

Guest harestone

Around 20-25 years back someone arranged a visit to a supposed tunnel from the (Manor) castle grounds. I'd booked in to attend, but on the day was ill so couldn't go. All i know for sure is the entrance to the tunnel, accessed by a surface hatch, is somewhere on the little industrial estate facing the top or Granville Rd.

i was interested as i was born and bred on the Wybourn, and still live here, just a stones throw from the castle grounds.

On 6/8/2007 at 16:37, Bayleaf said:

I found the following in a scrapbook in the Local Studies Library by a man called Henry Tatton. Henry was born in 1861 and for 50 years kept an ironmongers stall in the Market Hall. He died in 1946, but at the age of 59, in 1920, he decided to learn to draw, and kept these scrapbooks of his drawings of Sheffield. He also scattered them with things he came across he thought were interesting. The following he got from the Sheffield Daily Telegraph, but didn't note the date. If you want to look it up it's in volume 3 of his notes, page 229.

"Underground passages in Sheffield.

There are old coal mine workings in the vicinity of Rockingham Street. The Manor passage may have been used to bring drinking water to the Park from the Manor well or spring. Then there was the wooden pipes made from hollowed tree trunks used to convey water from Brookhill to the Hartshead. These carrier passages are being put forward as subterranean passages. Fragments of tunnels found under the Castle Hill, same size as the Manor Passage. There is another passage at the Manor, going West. A passage was found underneath the road, from the Cross Keys Handsworth, running in the direction of Handsworth Church. Also another passage from Handsworth Church to the Manor, by Handsworth Hall Farm. Then a passage was found in the City Road brickfield. It ran in the direction of the Manor. Lined with dressed stones and high enough to walk in. The passage under the tramway Club in High Court, High Street leads into another passing under Cockayne's Arcade. Another passage found under Rodgers Pond Hill Works. Also one running towards the New Post Office from River Lane. Under the Hall in the Ponds, the built up end of another passage which ran towards the Midland Station.

When Priory Road Sharrow was made, a tunnel was found leading from the Old Priory towards the city. In it was found a built up Chamber. It contained a table and 2 oak chairs, some tumblers and a bottle. In one corner remnants of clothing, a rusty armour and a sword 3 feet long. A passage ran from near the present Heeley Station to Newfield Hall and then towards Sheffield castle. In 1925 a Mrs. Jenkinson said an old man told her he had traversed it all the way and said it was about 6 ft. high. One end of it is near Meersbrook Park Rd in the old farmstead buildings. A passage near Glossop Rd led into old coal workings and to a shaft at the corner of Convent Walk."

When I was at school in Handsworth in the 40s there was talk of a tunnel from the Cross Keys to the Manor, but I'm not convinced.  It would have to go very steeply down hill and then climb again, and it is a long way.  And you don't have to go across the road, or under it, to get from the Cross Keys to the church

Many of the tunnels reported where in fact large drains. Some of which were used for water supply. The who area of the park and towards Handsworth is also full of old mine workings.  And yes you could go down the pit at Handsworth and come out at Nunnery or Woodthorpe, since they were connected. But there was no tunnels that ever lead from the Manor Lodge to anywhere.