The Five Arches Viaduct

Sheffield History

THE FIVE ARCHES VIADUCT

Herries Road, Owlerton, Sheffield 6

INFORMATION

Herries Road itself was built as a scheme of public work by the local unemployed in the early 1920s

PICTURES

Great picture from picturesheffield.com

Guest skeets

l recall there was at least one suicide from these arches , anyone comment? skeets

In my postcard collection I have just found two pre-First World War views, that forum members might like to see.

Great pictures, I see a Then & Now with these, if somebody posts a Now version. I am at the other sidy of the city, don't get down that end very often.

Forgive my ignorance, which direction are we looking on these photos

Great pictures, I see a Then & Now with these, if somebody posts a Now version. I am at the other sidy of the city, don't get down that end very often.

In 2007 I did the Upper Don Valley walk from Kelham Island out through Wardsend Cemetry to Hillsborough and beyond. I have already posted some of the pictures I took on this walk in other threads. I remember walking past and commenting on the 5 arches viaduct but, and having just checked, I didn't actually take any pictures of it. What an ommision,- 2007 would have been near enough a Now as any had I bothered to take it!

Stuart

That's looking up what is now Herries road with the Wednesday ground at your back - I think we've had a thread on this before almost at the start!

A few more trees about these days

Are the arrows in your bottom picture

to do with some sort of new Sheffield traffic system Stuart?

lol

<hides> -------o00o----//{´°`(_)´°` }\\----o00o-------

Are the arrows in your bottom picture

to do with some sort of new Sheffield traffic system Stuart?

lol

<hides> -------o00o----//{��`(_)��` }\\----o00o-------

Google maps, shows where the Google car travelled,

Arrows on Goole Maps

Cameras on GoogleEarth

Same thing lol

I remember standing in front of the Tetley depot waitng to catch the number 2 circular home after the Wednesday matches.

I remember standing in front of the Tetley depot waitng to catch the number 2 circular home after the Wednesday matches.

Was the No.2 the outer circular. I remember there was an outer circular and an inner circular route at one time.

Was the No.2 the outer circular. I remember there was an outer circular and an inner circular route at one time.

I believe it was the Outer Circular. I used to get off on Hatfield House Lane.

Guest Gramps

I believe it was the Outer Circular. I used to get off on Hatfield House Lane.

It was. Route 2 one way round but I can't remember the route number that went the opposite way - think it was fifty something.

Inner circle was 8 one way and 9 the other.

Guest Gramps

A little bit of history to associate with the pictures.

On the left hand side of Herries road just up from the viaduct is an old mill dam popular with local anglers for many years. This dam used to supply a water driven mill that stood behind the two cottages that can still be seen there and the old mill is visible in Steve's 1917 postcard http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/i...ost&p=16792.

The railway engineers had to find a way to preserve the water supply to the wheel when the line was built so they took the head goit from the dam to the wheel through a culvert under the embankment, they also had to provide another culvert to take the dam overflow. Many of the old photos show a little stone bridge that spans a stream formed from the tail goit of the wheel and the dam overflow.

The dam, wheel and mill are supposed to be over 600 years old, - Walter Miller suggests it was a corn mill attached to Wardsend farm as lomg ago as 1383; in the 18th century it was used as a bark mill by the wealthy Rawson's - a family of tanners who built the grand house known as Wardsend.

The little stream that feeds Rawson's dam is now almost entirely underground. It rises near the Fox hill end of Parson Cross road and was known as Toad Hole Dyke.

It was. Route 2 one way round but I can't remember the route number that went the opposite way - think it was fifty something.

It was the Numer 3

------ This dam used to supply a water driven mill that stood behind the two cottages that can still be seen there and the old mill is visible in Steve's 1917 postcard http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/i...ost&p=16792.---------

I know the owner of one of these cottages and to reach it you have to go down a very steep driveway. Look at the postcard, linked above. - They're on clear view at road level. That's a massive amount of earth they moved by hand to bring the road up to it's 1920's level.

Guest Gramps

I know the owner of one of these cottages and to reach it you have to go down a very steep driveway. Look at the postcard, linked above. - They're on clear view at road level. That's a MASSIVE amount of earth they moved by hand to bring the road up to it's 1920's level.

You can see the earthworks under construction on this photo.

s17179

There also used to be two large dams between Herries road south and Penistone road but I've naver managed to find a picture of those.

There's also a photo here of Rawsons dam not long after the road was built, although it's called Oxspring dam in the caption.

s17148