Travellers' Rest

93 Langsett Road South, Oughtibridge

Open 1948 Closed Span

Comments

Earlier

1948 John Rhodes

1951 George Hirst

From Kelly's Directory 1856

1856 Travellers Rest Langsett Road, Oughtibridge. Jarvis Almond.

Could the " open 1948 " be a missprint, I think It's more like 1848 it's a very old pub.

Wharncliffe Arms

Wharncliffe side, Oughtibridge

Open 1881 Closed Span

Comments

Earlier

1881 A Micklethwaite

1901 Frank Handley

1905 John William Bisby

1911 John William Bisby

1948 Walter Hardman

1951 Walter Hardman

From Kelly's Directory

1856 Wharncliffe Arms Oughtibridge Joseph Senior.

White Hart

Langsett Road North, Oughtibridge

Open 1825 Closed Span 183

Comments

Earlier

1825 Ann Brammall

1881 Mrs Jane Mellor

1901 T Mellor

1905 Mrs Emily Trickett

1911 Mrs Emily Trickett

1948 John William Bisby

1951 Jn William Bisby

1856 White Hart Oughtibridge Thomas Turner.

From Kelly's Directory 1856

1856 Travellers Rest Langsett Road, Oughtibridge. Jarvis Almond.

Could the " open 1948 " be a missprint, I think It's more like 1848 it's a very old pub.

Read it more as "the earliest known keeper we have found so far is 1948" and take it as an open invitation to provide earlier keepers - you taken this one back nearly 100 years which is much closer to the "real" date, could be even earlier, but, from this Sites viewpoint only earlier if we can find a source stating the name, an address (however vague) and a keeper.

Please treat all "open 1948" and "open 1951" Pubs as described above; probably all opened many years before that.

The Leg of Mutton and Trimmings is not yet included, because although we think it was run by Mr Waterfall and was somewhere near Smithfields - it has never shown up in any Trade Directory or other reliable printed source.

Read it more as "the earliest known keeper we have found so far is 1948" and take it as an open invitation to provide earlier keepers - you taken this one back nearly 100 years which is much closer to the "real" date, could be even earlier, but, from this Sites viewpoint only earlier if we can find a source stating the name, an address (however vague) and a keeper.

Please treat all "open 1948" and "open 1951" Pubs as described above; probably all opened many years before that.

Gotcha.

While doing my own research I came across alot of other interesting things. there is lots more dates and names

but didn't have the time and also I thought you would have already got them.

I will have another look next week. I have noticed the street numbers of the pubs differ a lot.

Tontine Hotel

Haymarket & 2 Dixon Lane

Open 1786 Closed 1850 Span 64

Comments 1822 14 Haymarket

Earlier 2nd Feb 1805 Mr Wm. Simpson; 27 Jan 1809 Jno. Batty

1822 John Lambert

Through to

1832 John Lambert

27/10/1832 William Lyon Bickley

1833 William Lyon Bickley (1837)

1834 William Lyon Bickley (1837)

1837 William Lyon Bickley

1841 William Lyon Bickley

1845 William Lyon Bickley

1846 William Lyon Bickley

1849 William Lyon Bickley

-----------------------------------------

Taken from the Sheffield Directory 1787 [ Gales & Martin ]

Tontine Inn Bullflake James Watson

Hi

Viaduct Inn 108 Corby Street.

On a 1891 census printout I have with my ancester a servant there, it gives the publican's name as

Richard Untum or Unturn and his wife Emma. :blink:

Updated as above.

Thank you.

You have the Watermans Rest as being run by George A Pearson in 1871 but he was only 15 and it was run by his mother, Mary Pearson. :)

Updated as above.

Thank you.

From the 1851 census

Alexander Roberts, beer keeper of the Weeping Willow Penistone Road.

From the 1851 census

Alexander Roberts, beer keeper of the Weeping Willow Penistone Road.

Beautifully found, undeniable. Since you found it, you decide whether it goes in as a Pub, or a beerhouse (it does have a name which is as good as many) ...

Thank you.

Beautifully found, undeniable. Since you found it, you decide whether it goes in as a Pub, or a beerhouse (it does have a name which is as good as many) ...

Thank you.

I'd say a pub, most beer houses don't seem to have names.

It's suprising what you see when you're looking for something else. :rolleyes:

Thought this was worth a mention,

The Tramcar Inn

851 Attercliffe Road.

Photo added to main list.

Wagon and Horses, 236 Gleadless Road

& Old Wagon and Horses, 2 Kent Road.

(post #167 & 169)

The original Waggon and Horses which was built on the same site in 1825,

the old building was pulled down and the present one built by Joseph Burley in 1883

Both main records updated

Post any details you have, keepers, photographs, memories.

Thank you.

Links only please for Picture Sheffield pics.

Does anyone know if this place is open? It's still standing and appears the same externally as it does on google street view. The signs are still up and the metal bars on the window- Has anybody been in recently?

Does anyone know if this place is open? It's still standing and appears the same externally as it does on google street view. The signs are still up and the metal bars on the window- Has anybody been in recently?

What Pub are you refering to please?

Troubled had me a bit troubled too !

I thought i'd posted it in the right bit...but ooops...I was on about The Travellers at Attercliffe

I thought i'd posted it in the right bit...but ooops...I was on about The Travellers at Attercliffe

No problem, but needs someone 140 miles closer to Sheffield than me to provide you with a reliable answer.

Union Inn

651 Attercliffe Common

Open 1871 Closed 1940 Span 69

Comments

Earlier

1871 William Collier

1948 Tom C Barber

1951 William Downs

Knocked out to actually see a reference to William Downs my father-in-law whom I never met, since he died in 1956 long before I met and married his daughter. She was born in the Union Inn in 1951, we married in 1971 and emigrated to Australia 2 years later. We celebrate our 38th anniversary this year. Attached 2 pictures, one of the Union in 1978 when we came back for a visit, the other is my father-in-law in the back yard of the pub with his firstborn son. Am I to understand that the Union was not operating in 1951? This seems to be at odds with what my wife tells me, i.e. that she was born under the best bitter, her Mum was working as a barmaid (and Publican!) at the time.

Knocked out to actually see a reference to William Downs my father-in-law whom I never met, since he died in 1956 long before I met and married his daughter. She was born in the Union Inn in 1951, we married in 1971 and emigrated to Australia 2 years later. We celebrate our 38th anniversary this year. Attached 2 pictures, one of the Union in 1978 when we came back for a visit, the other is my father-in-law in the back yard of the pub with his firstborn son. Am I to understand that the Union was not operating in 1951? This seems to be at odds with what my wife tells me, i.e. that she was born under the best bitter, her Mum was working as a barmaid (and Publican!) at the time.

Happy to help :rolleyes:

Thank you for the added detail and especially the photos.

According to the list it was operating in 1951, but, we can't say for how long after that it. My decision was, originally, to halt the search in 1951 - other Pubs have snuck in there since, but 1951 remains our official "cut-off" date. I can't offer any information after that date, perhaps other members can add to the known history.

Good Luck, keep us updated please.

[1940 obviously a pigs-ear on my part, apologies]

-----------------------------------------------

Main record updated.

Whirlow Bridge Pub

details added to main list :-

'The Whirlow Bridge Inn was built around 1846 on the curve of an old turnpike road. Originally a beer house, it had a double frontage, stabling and was a pleasant place for travellers to stop. In the 1920's it became a favourite oasis for walkers from te city as there was little traffic and the area was still very rural. However the landlord lost his licence and the inn was then converted into use for a tea rooms. It later became a private residence and was demolished in August 1938.' from Ecclesall by Ecclesall Local History Society

Tontine Hotel

Haymarket & 2 Dixon Lane

Open 1786 Closed 1850 Span 64

Comments 1822 14 Haymarket

Earlier 2nd Feb 1805 Mr Wm. Simpson; 27 Jan 1809 Jno. Batty

1822 John Lambert

Through to

1832 John Lambert

27/10/1832 William Lyon Bickley

1833 William Lyon Bickley (1837)

1834 William Lyon Bickley (1837)

1837 William Lyon Bickley

1841 William Lyon Bickley

1845 William Lyon Bickley

1846 William Lyon Bickley

1849 William Lyon Bickley

From the Local Register and chronological account of occurences and facts connected with the town and neighborhood of Sheffield:

1783, Jan: The Tontine Inn commenced by a number of subscribers £100 each, who engage to be governed by certain rules to be hereafter propounded—a piece of ground whereon stands the Castle-barn, taken on lease from the Duke of Norfolk, for 99 years, by the Rev. J. Wilkinson, for the benefit of the subscribers.

1785, Seot. 29: The Tontine Inn being finished, a general meeting of the subscribers took place, when articles of agreement were entered into, that each subscriber of £100 should by himself or nomince participate in the benefits and rents thereof, in the way of a Tontine, until the last or fortunate nominee only be living, who (his or her executors or assigns) shall become entitled to all benefits and advantages arising from the said Inn. Original subscribers— Earl of Surrey 4 (shares £100 each), Henry Howard, Esq. 2, Michael Jones 2, Vincent Eyre 2, Rev. John Stacey 1, Henry Tudor 1, William Brightmore 1, Jos. Matthewman 1, M. Gunning 1, John Kenyon 1, Benj. Roebuck 1, Joseph Mitchell 1, Thomas Boulsover 1, Anthony Thompson 1, John Read 1, John Winter 1, Kenyon Parker 2, John Carr 1, Gamaliel Milner 1, Rev.J. Moorwood 1, Samuel Broomhead 1, Joseph Clay 1, George Townsend 1, Benj. Broomhead 1, Joseph Broomhead 1, Jonathan Watkinson 1, James Wheat 1, John Sharrow 1, George Greaves 1, Thomas Rawson 1, Joseph Ibbotson 1, George Brittain 1, Rev. J. Wilkinson 1, Samuel Phipps 1, Benj. B. Thompson 2, Robt. Athorpe 1, John Parker 2, John Froggatt 1, Joseph Hawkseley 1.—First landlord, Mr. James Watson

1798, Feb 2: The Tontine Inn entered upon by Mr Ashmore.