1837 John Cooper

1841 John Cooper

1846 John Cooper (Old George)

1852 George Wescoe

1854 George Wescoe

1856 George Wescoe

1862 Mary Wescoe

1871 Mrs Mary Wescoe

1881 Mrs Elizabeth Clarke (39-41 Bank Street)

1901 Edward Saville

1905 William Needham

1911 Adam Marsden

Picture Link : http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=s06892

Some trivia. Edward Saville's (1901) father had the Graville Inn (early 1850's) and White Horse (1828-29)

Some trivia. Edward Saville's (1901) father had the Graville Inn (early 1850's) and White Horse (1828-29)

I see John Saville at Granville Inn, 89 Granville Street, Park in 1852 and 1854. What evidence links him to the White Horse and to Edward Saville please (other than the surname !), do you have family links, census information, family trees, a big nose ?

OK any but the big nose we would be interested in. It would be great to forge that link, with evidence ... Thanks.

Guest fudgeynz

I see John Saville at Granville Inn, 89 Granville Street, Park in 1852 and 1854. What evidence links him to the White Horse and to Edward Saville please (other than the surname !), do you have family links, census information, family trees, a big nose ?

OK any but the big nose we would be interested in. It would be great to forge that link, with evidence ... Thanks.

Yes, there are family links. Edward Saville is my father-in-law's grandfather. Working backwards through the various census' and with some birth/marriage certificates, we know that John Saville was at 89 Granville St in 1851 and that his wife subsequently married David Wass - proprietor in 1861.

John Saville was born in 1802 in Manchester and married Hannah Guest in 1823 in Manchester, but she had died by 1833, probably in Sheffield, as we know that they had at least one son, Joseph, who was born in in Sheffield in 1832.

The Pigot's directory of 1828-29, has a John Saville in the White Horse and, yes, I am only guessing that it is one and the same John Saville. I have no concrete proof ..... yet ;-)

In the 1891 census, Edward Saville was a "Licensed Victualler" at the Ellesmere Hotel, 1 Diamond St/18 St Helen's Rd, Leigh, Lancashire.

Yes, there are family links. Edward Saville is my father-in-law's grandfather. Working backwards through the various census' and with some birth/marriage certificates, we know that John Saville was at 89 Granville St in 1851 and that his wife subsequently married David Wass - proprietor in 1861.

John Saville was born in 1802 in Manchester and married Hannah Guest in 1823 in Manchester, but she had died by 1833, probably in Sheffield, as we know that they had at least one son, Joseph, who was born in in Sheffield in 1832.

The Pigot's directory of 1828-29, has a John Saville in the White Horse and, yes, I am only guessing that it is one and the same John Saville. I have no concrete proof ..... yet ;-)

In the 1891 census, Edward Saville was a "Licensed Victualler" at the Ellesmere Hotel, 1 Diamond St/18 St Helen's Rd, Leigh, Lancashire.

I can confirm Davis Wass, Granville Inn, 1862 - I've posted elsewhere about the fact that existing data should lead us to further Pub related stuff, in this case 1861. (Link Fairy - 2010 overly ambitious thing).

If you are willing Fudgeynz we'd love to see the images of the Census stuff and certificates you have.

Many Thanks

RichardB

I've found this in the Sheffield Directory at the local studies but it doesn't seem to be on

the list.

Merry Heart 110 Bunswick Road. George Stacey. :huh:

I've found this in the Sheffield Directory at the local studies but it doesn't seem to be on

the list.

Merry Heart 110 Bunswick Road. George Stacey. :huh:

It is there and it has three addresses ...

110 Spital Street, Tom Cross Lane Brunswick Road (previously New Brunswick Street) ... maybe we need an old map !

Anyway, George Stacey is on the list for 1893.We don't have an 1883 set of data on my spreadsheet, but I'll let you edit the Merry Heart main record and add him in 1883 and 1891. Thanks.

My Father was born at the George IV on 1st January 1921 (Desmond Peter Middleton). His father was Landlord then - Arthur Middleton but I am not sure for how long -

Hope and Anchor Hotel

Mowbray Street

Open 1833 Closed

1841 Thomas Strapps (33 Bridge Houses)

1849 William Bayley (Bridge Houses)

1881 J Jones

1883 Robert Stannard

1893 George Walter Jennett (Bridgehouses and Mowbray Street)

1901 David Frederick Wall

1905 David Frederick Wall

1911 David Frederick Wall

1919 Sarah Jane Wall

1925 Henry Willey

Thomas Barker? --

From London Gazette Issue 20302 published on 5 January 1844

Millhouses Hotel/Millwright's Arms

951 Abbeydale Road, Millhouses, S7

I've merged the Millhouses Hotel and Millwright's Arms listings, and added lots of new information.

See:

Millhouses Hotel/Millwright's Arms 951 Abbeydale Road, Millhouses, S7

I was looking for a photo of the Lord Nelson on Greystock Street, the last 2 landlords were my grandfather and uncle. Next I'm going to check the listing for the Victoria (Carlisle St?), my grandfather became landlord there after leaving the Nelson.

Steve.

French Horn

34 Pea Croft

Main list updated: three new keepers, including a new earliest known keeper, Millicent Brown (1852).

Milton Arms

81 London Road

Main record updated: 3 new keepers (including new earliest known—Thomas Allott from the beerhouse keepers list).

Horse and Lion

Address 1 Samuel Road

Open Closed

Google Earth Street view : http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/i...art=#entry38757

Another view of the now closed Horse and Lion on Samuel Road / Park Grange Road

I took this one because of those narrow slit windows (now boarded up) which were supposed to reduce damage and breakage by objects being thrown.

Of the Norfolk Park pubs the Horse & Lion had the most violent reputation.

There was a night in the early 1980's when those windows were broken, the juke box was in that corner on the right, the juke box was smashed up and most of it was then thrown through the windows, breaking them, and ended up in the car park in the forground.

Life was much more relaxed up at the Fellbrigg with Scarey Mary in charge of proceedings and keeping the peace.

Guest lyndloo

Fox and Grapes

519 Meadow Hall Road, Wincobank

Open 1901 Closed

1901 James Francis Johnson

1905 Frederick J Carter

1911 Frederick J Carter

1948 Jn Willie Coggan

1951 Jn Willie Coggan

Picture Sheffield :

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=s17860

I remember this pub very well.. I worked across the rd at Howells back in 66' used to have a shandy at lunchtime and put a shilling in the juke box and listen to the latest hits .. I think the landlords name was Harvey Smith and his wifes name was Marion ? they had two sons in their twenties . I think...I remember the lads who were building the new Tinsley Viaduct they would come in the pub on a Saturday lunchtime and give us money tfor the juke box . we were just teens then ... they were real nice guys . Great times !!!!

I remember this pub very well.. I worked across the rd at Howells back in 66' used to have a shandy at lunchtime and put a shilling in the juke box and listen to the latest hits .. I think the landlords name was Harvey Smith and his wifes name was Marion ? they had two sons in their twenties . I think...I remember the lads who were building the new Tinsley Viaduct they would come in the pub on a Saturday lunchtime and give us money tfor the juke box . we were just teens then ... they were real nice guys . Great times !!!!

Just about this time Lindyloo! lol

1889 Gardeners Rest 11-17 Dun Street Frederick May

1912 Gardeners Rest 11-15 Dun Street Clara Lawrence.

Updated on the A to Z

Howard Hotel

2 Howard Street

Open 1871 Closed

1871 Richard Guion

1893 Mrs Hannah Beatson

We have too many Howards on Howard Street ! Got Number 2 and number 59, got to be the same place (renumbering again following developments). Tom Sharp from 1901 to 1925.

Hopefully Ukelele Lady and/or Jeremy will pass comment and come out with a composite (my error when building the initial list, I think, but every duplicate identified is another one corrected.

Thanks to both for supplying/posting the image.

This one's a bit confusing because of the Howard on Howard Street and the Howard on Howard Road.

One Howard starts off with the address as Howard Hill and Howard Hill , Steel Bank [where's that?]

Then it changes to Howard Hill , Howard Road. Here's what I have , see what you think.

Howard Hotel

1864 W. Wright Howard Hill

1865 W. Wright Howard Hill Hotel, Howard Hill Steel Bank

1868 Richard Guion Howard Hill

1876 Charles Stork Howard Hill, 42 Howard Road

1879 Mrs Emma Stork Howard Road

1883 William Jones 94 Howard Road

1887 William Jones 94 Howard Road Walkley

1888 William Jones 94 Howard Road

1889 William Jones 94 Howard Road

1893 Elizabeth A. Walker 94 Howard Road

I believe the above is one pub and below is the other.

Howard Hotel, Howard Street

1879 Elizabeth Parsonage 57 Howard Street

1883 Mrs Elizabeth Parsonage 55 Howard Street/154 Pond Street

1888 Luke Beatson 57 Howard Street

1889 Luke Beatson 57 Howard Street

1893 Mrs Hannah Beatson 57 Howard Street.

This one's a bit confusing because of the Howard on Howard Street and the Howard on Howard Road.

One Howard starts off with the address as Howard Hill and Howard Hill , Steel Bank [where's that?]

Then it changes to Howard Hill , Howard Road. Here's what I have , see what you think.

Howard Hotel

1864 W. Wright Howard Hill

1865 W. Wright Howard Hill Hotel, Howard Hill Steel Bank

1868 Richard Guion Howard Hill

1876 Charles Stork Howard Hill, 42 Howard Road

1879 Mrs Emma Stork Howard Road

1883 William Jones 94 Howard Road

1887 William Jones 94 Howard Road Walkley

1888 William Jones 94 Howard Road

1889 William Jones 94 Howard Road

1893 Elizabeth A. Walker 94 Howard Road

I believe the above is one pub and below is the other.

Howard Hotel, Howard Street

1879 Elizabeth Parsonage 57 Howard Street

1883 Mrs Elizabeth Parsonage 55 Howard Street/154 Pond Street

1888 Luke Beatson 57 Howard Street

1889 Luke Beatson 57 Howard Street

1893 Mrs Hannah Beatson 57 Howard Street.

Steel Bank is Walkley district, near the Heavygate and down to Commonside. So Howard Road fits; we seem to be missing Howard, 2 Howard Street and Tom Sharp (as per Poppychristina's photo).

Thanks for your effort U/L - we could all do with a break at the moment it seems.

On the A to Z you have Greyhound 217-219 Gibralter Street with a Alice Thompson 1881 but on the

1881 census it is Sarah Ann Richards 217-219 Gibralter Street, [The Greyhound Inn]

I think Alice lived at 292 Gibralter Street , the Acorn.

Shall I change?