Pubs F to M - Keepers, Picture-links

Guest tsavo

I know this is a bit cheeky :) but does this mean that we can also add Septimus Parkes under the Blademakers Arms???

1849 ~ Beerhouse. 90-92 Eyre Lane.

1851 ~ Publican & Grocer. 90-92 Eyre Lane. (1851 census)

1852 ~ Beerhouse. 90-92 Eyre Lane. (Whites)

Tracy

Added; Congratulations, our first known keeper of the Blademakers (possibly also known as the Brickmakers).

From Local Studies

1816 King and Miller Norfolk Street. Thomas Heathcote.

Main record updated and credited. Thank you.

From Local Studies

1816 Hawk Pea Croft, Joseph Saynor.

Same place as Falcon, you have pre-dated me by 6 years - Well done and Thank you.

Falcon record updated.

From Local Studies.

1816 Fountain Trippet Lane. Thomas Bramley.

Earlier name for the Dog and Partridge; Thomas Bramley recoreded already 1818-20, 1821, 1822, 1825 and 1828. Again, you have pre-dated me. Thank you.

Main Dog and Partridge record updated.

From Kelly's Directory

1856 Filesmith Arms Oughtibridge. John Holdsworth.

You're showing me up now ! Pre-dated 25 years from my best find. Well done and Thank you so much for your efforts. Brilliant work !

Guest minetiger

King's Head

709 Attercliffe Road

Open 1853 Closed Span 155

Comments

Earlier

1871 Mrs Sarah Smith (Beerhouse)

1948 Charles Belch

1951 Geo Hy Marriott

the kings head was ownd by the legendary sheffield athelet George Littlewood from 1898 - 1909 and was called the champions rest.

the kings head was ownd by the legendary sheffield athelet George Littlewood from 1898 - 1909 and was called the champions rest.

Main record updated - big gap halved, you are credited. Welcome to the Site. Thank you.

Post any details you have, keepers, photographs, memories.

Thank you.

Links only please for Picture Sheffield pics.

Hi,

My grandfather was a publican in Sheffield but I do not know which pub/s. His name was Thomas Hill and lived in the Netherthorpe and Walkley areas. Iknow he had a pub in Garden Street. He deid in 1930 aged 55.

I have two photos but there are no names on them. They are group photos taken outside pubs or breweries.

Hi,

My grandfather was a publican in Sheffield but I do not know which pub/s. His name was Thomas Hill and lived in the Netherthorpe and Walkley areas. Iknow he had a pub in Garden Street. He deid in 1930 aged 55.

I have two photos but there are no names on them. They are group photos taken outside pubs or breweries.

Great posting Spottydog Thank you and Welcome to the site - this one posting has filled in four hours of my life and annoyed the wife immensely ...

Could you please rescan the sign above the door (pic 1) and a few of the crates (pic 2) at as high a resolution as possible please; maybe the "Photo-Fairies" that dwell hereabouts can do something to getting us a name.

sign above the door ..

ends in 'EVRE'

Pub name or owners name?

I read it as "EVRE" also, Thank you - doesn't help us one bit but the confirmation is helpful. Now, bugger off to bed, you've got a busy weekend if my last week of scanning/posting is anything to go by ... maybe the general population will join in and post loads of "stuff" to gee us all on.

Hi,

Possible but making no claims with these :

Thomas Hill Beer retailer 89 Trippet Lane Kelly's 1925

Thomas Hill Grocer & beer retailer 33 Bromptn Road, Attercliffe Kelly's 1893

Hi,

This has been quite hard work, not sure I've found anything for you but it has certainly kept me busy and I've reached a few conclusions.

How sure are you about Garden Street ? Do you have any proof beyond the photos.

Anyway: Pubs on Garden Street

Ball, Garden Street, one keeper known - 1834

Exchange 64 Garden Street, one keeper only - 1871

Red Place Tavern 91 Garden Street, 1833-1910; keepers known in 1837 and 1871

Royal Exchange 64 Garden Street, keepers known in 1862, 1881, 1901, 1905, 1911 & 1925

Royal Oak 64 Garden Street, one keeper only - 1856

Woodman's Hut 46 Garden Street 1825-1900, no known keepers (see below)

===================================

Therefore, it would appear that the Royal Oak, the Exchange and the Royal Exchange are one and the same place, which is nice ...

===================================

Furthermore, and to show I did look quite hard ...

William Cam Beerhouse 34 Garden Street (1833)

Joseph Collins Beerhouse and Awl blademaker 91 Garden Street (1849)

Thomas Cullenworth Beerhouse 3 Garden Street (1833)

George Henry Thornsby 46 Garden Street Beerhouse and Table knife manufacturer 1852 (so, looking above, we have our first known keeper of The Woodmans Hut)

Peter White Beerhouse and Springknife manufacturer 1852 - see Royal Oak, Exchange, Royal Exchange above.

--------------------------------------------

Conclusion(s) :

I've no idea about Thomas Hill or the dates on your photographs, hopefully something will come to light.

We have a first known keeper for The Woodman's Hut

My head 'urts.

Thomas Hill Beer retailer 89 Trippet Lane Kelly's 1925

Update :

Red Lion, 89 Trippet Lane 1833-1930, no known keepers BUT matches the address of the above from Kelly's 1925 which is nice ...

main record updated.

Does anyone know of the Mill Sands Tavern, located in Mill Sands, off Bridge Street, described in the 1861 Census as a Beer House kept by William Cook ( Pen Blade Grinder and Beer House Keeper)?

Does anyone know of the Mill Sands Tavern, located in Mill Sands, off Bridge Street, described in the 1861 Census as a Beer House kept by William Cook ( Pen Blade Grinder and Beer House Keeper)?

Millsands Tavern

12 Millsands

Open 1841

1841 James Morton

1845 James Morton (21 Millsands)

1846 James Morton

1849 James Morton

1861 William Cook

1871 William Cook

1881 William Henry Denton

Main record updated with your 1861 find. Thank you and Welcome to the Site. As you see William Cook was already known in 1871.

Millsands Tavern

12 Millsands

Open 1841

1841 James Morton

1845 James Morton (21 Millsands)

1846 James Morton

1849 James Morton

1861 William Cook

1871 William Cook

1881 William Henry Denton

Main record updated with your 1861 find. Thank you and Welcome to the Site. As you see William Cook was already known in 1871.

I couldn't find it in the list of pubs F to M when I was looking last night. Is it there? The list seems to end at the Miller's Arms.

I couldn't find it in the list of pubs F to M when I was looking last night. Is it there? The list seems to end at the Miller's Arms.

I can see it - doesn't mean a lot.

Junction

Station Road, Woodhouse

Open 1901 Closed Span 107

Comments

Earlier

1881 Thomas Usherwood (New Junction Inn)

1901 Albert Edward Bell

1905 Albert Edward Bell

1911 Robert Pashley

1925 James Hollis

1948 Jn Dale Hollis

1951 Jn Dale Hollis

Picture Sheffield Link 1980's

01/03/09

In 1891 the Census records that the proprietor of the then Junction Hotel was Ann Wilkinson, the widow of John Wilkinson, and that her brother, Joseph Bent, was the pub manager. Ann Wilkinson was the mother-in-law of the 1901 landlord, Albert Bell (who was my grandfather's cousin). John Wilkinson and his wife had previously(1881) had a pub in Swinton and in 1871 ran the Keel Inn at Ardsley near Barnsley. John Wilkinson died in 1886, presumably at that time being the licensee of the Junction Hotel, and on his death it appears that his wife took the pub over, handing it on to her daughter and son-in-law (Emily and Albert Bell) sometime before 1901.

Granville Inn

89 Granville Street, Park, S2

Open 1846 Closed

1845 William Nixon

1846 William Nixon

1849 George Reaney

1852 John Saville

1854 John Saville

1862 David Wass

1871 John Heathcote

1881 Samuel Spooner

1901 David Lloyd Buchanan

1905 David Lloyd Buchanan

1911 David Lloyd Buchanan

1919 George H Wright

1925 Allan Coggin

1948 Alan Coggin

1951 Gilbert W Guest

1839 John Wilson

Guest fudgeynz

1839 John Wilson

Just a bit of trivia. John SAVILLE was married to Mary Ann (nee STACEY). After John SAVILLE died in July 1854, Mary Ann went on to marry David WASS in 1856. (She was at 89 Granville St - Granville Inn - in both the 1851 and 1861 Census.)

If I'm correct, according to Pigot's 1828-29 directory, John SAVILLE had the White Horse on Solly Street, too.