Tom Kay, Chapeltown

Guest RogerK

Guest RogerK

Does anyone have any information/photos about Tom Kay, who used to have a shop on Station Road, Chapeltown? I'm starting to research my family history. Any photos of the shop or of him or his family would be particularly appreciated.

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

Tom Kay was a well-known character in the Chapeltown area, and I can remember that my mother in law often spoke of him. It shouldn't be too difficult to find someone who has a picture of him. I am not sure, but I have a feeling that when he was a young man he played football for Barnsley. It might help to write to The Star with your query, and alert people to your search on this site.

I remember Tom Kays shop, its now St Lukes charity shop at chapeltown. I think his brother was Cyril Kay who sold furniture further up on Station Rd. I remember Tom Kay being a very big man who sold bicycles and small electrical goods. I also remember John Kay the decorator who died tragically in a road accident.

Guest Wardy2

I remember Tom Kays shop, its now St Lukes charity shop at chapeltown. I think his brother was Cyril Kay who sold furniture further up on Station Rd. I remember Tom Kay being a very big man who sold bicycles and small electrical goods. I also remember John Kay the decorator who died tragically in a road accident.

I also remember Tom Kays shop. As a child I lived on Braken Hill Camp with my parents & Chapeltown was where we did all our shopping. I remember getting my first 2 wheeled bicycle from Tom Kays. It was a marroon Hercules with a braking system operated by rods? In 1954 we bought our first TV from Toms, a 14" Bush with a crackly black & white picture. I can clearly remember watching it in the shop. Bengo the Puppy was on at the time. Hope someone can come up with a picture of Tom or his shop.