19 Fairthorn Road, Sheffield

Guest janetm

Guest janetm

Trying to find out who lived at 19 Fairthorn Road, Sheffield in 1957, my grandfather Alfred Godbehere died at this adress 8th Sept 1957, informant on death cert was E. Godbehere (present at death). As I have no idea who E Godbehere was, trying to find out who else lived at that adress.

many thanks

Jan

Trying to find out who lived at 19 Fairthorn Road, Sheffield in 1957, my grandfather Alfred Godbehere died at this adress 8th Sept 1957, informant on death cert was E. Godbehere (present at death). As I have no idea who E Godbehere was, trying to find out who else lived at that adress.

many thanks

Jan

1963 dir.

19 Fairthorn Road

Mrs E. Godbehere

Still there in 1973.

many thanks

Jan

Where is/was Fairthorn Road please ?

Burgess Roll (=electoral registers)

Brightside Division

Firth Park and later Nethershire Ward

19 Fairthorn Road

Oct 1945

GODBEHERE Alfred

GODBEHERE Elizabeth

(no GODBEHEREs in service register)

1948/9

GODBEHERE Alfred

GODBEHERE Elizabeth

1951/2

GODBEHERE Alfred

GODBEHERE Elizabeth

1952/3

GODBEHERE Alfred

GODBEHERE Elizabeth

CARROLL Jane Ann

[volume for Brightside Division for 1953/4 not available]

1954/5

GODBEHERE Alfred

GODBEHERE Elizabeth

1961/2

GODBEHERE Elizabeth

1973/4

GODBEHERE Elizabeth

1977/8

GODBEHERE Elizabeth

1978/9

JOHNSON Steven P.

Hugh :)

Where is/was Fairthorn Road please ?

It runs from Hatfield House lane to Sicey Avenue near Firth Park. I lived at 36 Fairthorn between 1957-1977. I don't recall knowing the family at number 19 though

Google Earth

Guest janetm

Many, many thanks for the info Hugh..................................new puzzle.......who was Elizabeth???? was she Alfred's common law wife????? or his daughter from a subsequent relationship????? Alfred has a sister Elizabeth but she was born in 1874 and she married a Arthur Wheen, so wrong surname and she would have been 103/4 old in 1977/8 :blink: ............has anyone any ideas how to find out who she was? As far as I know Alfred and my Grandmother Mary did not divorce, and Mary kept the Godbehere surname until she died in 1976. If I presume that this Elizabeth died in 1977/79 and I found the death and sent off for the death cert, would it show her maiden name (if they had married) or her 'proper name' if she was just known as Godbehere?

many thanks for all the help again

Jan

I knew Mr And Mrs Godbhere, Pronounced Godbeer. We lived round the corner from them in Rolleston Road. Mrs G was charming lady. I didn't know Mr G very well. They had some friends called Croyden . Mr Croyden fetched their library books for them. I worked at the local library. Kate nee  Wragg.

Hi Jan,

Alfred and Elizabeth are on the 1939 register at 19 Fairthorn Road.

Alfred's date of birth is given as 8 April 1882 and he is a table blade forger, married.

Elizabeth's date of birth is 7 December 1891 and she is an interviewer, married.

Small world! Although I am now, a long long way from there, I used to live at 21 ( next door ).  1952 to 1964. as a child..

"Auntie Bet " used to give me a boiled sweet FISH from her sweet jar at least once a week.. She was an absolute gem.

Alf too, was a real gent and I remember him always making the effort to wear his suit on most days of the week.

He died whilst I was still at Junior school but Mrs G carried on like the cheerful trooper she always was.

There were no other residents at #19 Jan..

Strange, but as a grandchild to them, you would think I would have remembered you on any visitation? Sadly, I cannot..

There was the occasional friend or relative who used to visit by car ( an old black Ford, sit up and beg type )..

I only noticed your posting today 15/03/18 as I have just joined the forum to see if I can tie up with some of my

past school mates from Hatfield House Lane Infant/Junior school in 63/64 . 

• Like 1

Abject apologies Fairthornroader ! I never received any notifications of replies to my post :(  I never met my grandfather, he left my Grandma about 1931, and of course no one ever talked about him, so apart from Burgess Rolls etc I know nothing of his life after 1932.  It is nice to hear that he was happy and settled, his previous life was certainly eventful, marriages, divorces, emigrations etc. He has led me on a merry dance .