Fairbanks Maps

POPPYCHRISTINA

The attached Fairbanks map from 1759 seems to show that some of the dates for public houses in the list need amending.

The attached Fairbanks map from 1759 seems to show that some of the dates for public houses in the list need amending.

Brilliant, Thank you so much.

Our stated aim for the Pubs listing :

To list Public houses, Taverns, beerhouses etc and where possible to provide keepers names; to work out probable dates (open, closed, span the place existed).

You have provided tremendous evidence to pre-date some of the Pubs on our list, which is exactly why I/we published the list - so people could improve/extend/correct the list. The "Open 1951" Pubs are proof of that, we only have a keeper for the year 1951 - if we can get proof of existence before that date, then we pre-date the Open date and it just doesn't have a known keeper any earier than 1951 - the list is not perfect, never was claimed to be perfect, it was posted for constructive critisism/comment. Your input is tremendously constructive.

A higher res scan of the map is politely requested (so I can print it BIG).

Thanks again, a magnificent post - can't wait for page 100 - you've got the frontage of Town Hall Number Two on there !!! and the delicious possibility that Pubs called "Cock" may be "Stop-Cocks" !!!!!!

If you PM me your home address and fancy a night-out sometime (I'll pay), I could pay a surprise visit ... lol

Boot and Shoe premises on Campo Lane, previous best date 1834; with you evidence of the yard facing or named on High Street - pre-dated to 1758.

Main record updated, with link to this posting.

----------------------------------

Thank you.

Brilliant, Thank you so much.

Our stated aim for the Pubs listing :

To list Public houses, Taverns, beerhouses etc and where possible to provide keepers names; to work out probable dates (open, closed, span the place existed).

You have provided tremendous evidence to pre-date some of the Pubs on our list, which is exactly why I/we published the list - so people could improve/extend/correct the list. The "Open 1951" Pubs are proof of that, we only have a keeper for the year 1951 - if we can get proof of existence before that date, then we pre-date the Open date and it just doesn't have a known keeper any earier than 1951 - the list is not perfect, never was claimed to be perfect, it was posted for constructive critisism/comment. Your input is tremendously constructive.

A higher res scan of the map is politely requested (so I can print it BIG).

Thanks again, a magnificent post - can't wait for page 100 - you've got the frontage of Town Hall Number Two on there !!! and the delicious possibility that Pubs called "Cock" may be "Stop-Cocks" !!!!!!

Not a criticism at all ,Richard. I just do not know how to edit your posts . The book that I have is only edited excerps from some of the Fairbanks books so you may be a bit disappointed but i will post all the maps anyway.

We are actively asking for constructive critisism - along the lines of

I think you've got the XXXXXXX Pub wrong because I have details of Mr XXXXXXX as keeper in 18XX

or Mr XXXXXX is shown on the 1851 Census, 20 years before you have on the listing ...

Looking forward (very much) to seeing the Maps.

Thank you for posting them.