Castle Market

Sheffield History

I worked on the Castle Market when it was built.

The spiral stairs that go to the top of the lift shaft were built by myself and an Irish bloke called Ted Lola or lowlar ? [spelling].

I myself tried to get the building listed a few years ago as I think that along with Park Hill Flats it is an important part of Sheffields post War history .

The interior today with the Tarrazo work ,tileing, and saw tooth sky lights are unique in Sheffield and are about to be lost forever .

As far as I remember there was not any signs of a Castle when the foundations were dug for the Market so perhaps we should keep some 50's and 60's history for future generations instead of being obsesed with older stuff.

Guest TheBotanical

I worked on the Castle Market when it was built.

The spiral stairs that go to the top of the lift shaft were built by myself and an Irish bloke called Ted Lola or lowlar ? [spelling].

I myself tried to get the building listed a few years ago as I think that along with Park Hill Flats it is an important part of Sheffields post War history .

The interior today with the Tarrazo work ,tileing, and saw tooth sky lights are unique in Sheffield and are about to be lost forever .

As far as I remember there was not any signs of a Castle when the foundations were dug for the Market so perhaps we should keep some 50's and 60's history for future generations instead of being obsesed with older stuff.

Hi Penknife, I believe it was me that you were talking to the other day at the market. Another member of this forum also came down and said hello today.

Hi Penknife, I believe it was me that you were talking to the other day at the market. Another member of this forum also came down and said hello today.

Hello there buddy Are you with the people who are interviewing Market lovers on the lower ground floor if so thanks for your interest.

Guest TheBotanical

Hello there buddy Are you with the people who are interviewing Market lovers on the lower ground floor if so thanks for your interest.

Yep thats me, I was the first person you talked to lol. Hope to be going up those stairs at some point to try and take some ariel photographs.

Guest TheBotanical

Inside the Norfolk market Hall. Spoke to Botanical on Friday about the Fountain inside.

Great pictures Tozzin!

Yep thats me, I was the first person you talked to lol. Hope to be going up those stairs at some point to try and take some ariel photographs.

Brilliant I stood on the last step about fifty years ago and never thought that a set of nutcases would destroy this iconic building along with others built around that time.

At least Park Hill has been saved [originaly the town plan was to join the flats up with the Market by pathways in the sky another plan abandoned by the new kids on the block].

Slightly off-topic but the Council announced today that the new market was now over-subscribed, but they hadn't closed applications as they wanted to provide a good mix of traders.

Castle Market is now on an official countdown to moving to the new Moorfoot market.

The official date for opening of the new market is 18 November 2013

In the old market there is now a countdown clock counting down by the second to the day they move to the new market

To be honest I am quite looking forward to visiting the new market now, and as Stuart has said it will be a lot more convenient for me to get to.

I have spoken to some of the traders and all the ones I deal with regularly are going to be there.

There have been a number of phone-ins etc about the move. I've lost count of the number of times someone's said "they're destroying our history, there's been a market on the site for hundreds of years".

Er. no there hasn't, there was a castle there for hundreds of years. There has been a market in Sheffield for hundreds of years, on a site called Market Place, (the clue's in the name), it's still there if you care to look.

My mobile phone camera date and timestamps the photos and gives them the timestamp name.

On my computer this particular picture is called 2013-08-24 09.42.04

So if you add the amount of time shown on the countdown in the picture to the time the picture was taken it should give the exact time the new market is due to open.

Wonder how close they will be to the opening date and time they are claiming?

Normally I would be pessimistic about it, but having seen the rate of progress being made down at Moorfoot I bet they won't be far off, - they could even be on schedule.

Guest TheBotanical

There is now an exhibition of the market on the upper-ground floor in the Castle Market. I took some images recently of some of the remains of the Castle with no idea of how to upload them onto here.

Went to do my shopping in Castle market for the last time yesterday, the day it finally closed.

New Moorfoot market opens on Monday so I am looking forward to going there next weekend.

How sad it looks.

Having visited the new Moor Market I don't think it will ever replace the Castle Market, it lacks atmosphere

and it doesn't seem to have many stalls but who knows, time will tell.

How sad it looks.

Having visited the new Moor Market I don't think it will ever replace the Castle Market, it lacks atmosphere

and it doesn't seem to have many stalls but who knows, time will tell.

I have been to the Moor market today with my wife during the school holidays. It is the first time she has been in since it opened as she works Saturdays, although I have been in several Saturday mornings to do shopping. My wife agrees fully with what Ukelele Lady has just said. Although we met well known traders who have become friends over the years the new market is small, badly set out to make best use of the space available and it lacks atmosphere, - its not like Sheffield market any more, its just like any other bland market hall anywhere in Britain.

I had a dream about those two videos last night,

Sheffield CC had them removed from YouTube stating that they were a threat to the security of the premises.

:blink:

I had a dream about those two videos last night,

Sheffield CC had them removed from YouTube stating that they were a threat to the security of the premises.

:blink:

Did you just dream they had removed them? Or have they actually removed them?

The power of psychology to disturb a troubled mind Eh Steve?

Guest carlie167

The Moor market is clean and smart but to me it will never be a true market, it's more like a small shopping mall.

I loved the videos of the market service corridors, I must have walked them thousands of times in my time there.

The thing with the Castle market is most folks only remember the latter days when it was neglected and very run down, but in its day it was a lovely friendly place to shop with lots of choice and bargains to be had.

Ah well, no point looking back eh?

Guest Emma Carter

I just can not understand why castle market is not a listed building it is part of Sheffield history and it should be I was reading once a book called Sheffield castle and that the castle went a far as the queen head