Castle Market

Sheffield History

8A436F88-A725-4CBF-9528-A0D2B107B31A.jpeg

CASTLE MARKET

Castle Market Building, Castlegate, Sheffield S1 2AH

INFORMATION

Castle Market was opened in 1959.

The project had been primarily designed to re-house traders from the Norfolk Market Hall, which had already celebrated its centenary, but in addition extensive office and shop accommodation was provided.

Following the transfer of traders, the old hall was demolished. An extension to the new market was completed in 1964.

Redevelopment continued through the 1960's and 70's with the demolition of Castlefolds Market, following the opening of Parkway Wholesale Market in 1961; and the opening in 1973 of Sheaf Market Hall. This replaced the adjoining Rag and Tag Market - the last surviving relie of the original 19th century undertaking purchased from the Duke of Norfolk in 1899.

Castle Market takes its name from Sheffield Castle, which previously occupied the site from 1150 to 1648.

It was, for a short time, the home of the imprisoned Mary, Queen of Scots. Mary was kept in Sheffield for 13 years and nine months, but this was mostly at the Manor Lodge.

The Castle was almost entirely demolished in 1648 but the remains of the 13th century footings are still visible beneath the market and can be toured on Thursdays and Saturdays.

The indoor market boasts a vast array of food stalls in the basement and is particularly renowned for its fish, offering everything from salmon to shark.

Obviously the markets are built on top of where the old Sheffield Castle stood and the ruins are down underneath the markets - and you can visit them and have a look !

Visit the Castle Ruins

Sheffield Markets operates visits to the Sheffield Castle ruins on Thursdays and Saturdays throughout the year. Appointments are necessary.

To arrange a visit to the ruins please e-mail Sheffield Markets - http://www.sheffieldmarkets.co.uk/contact.php#email - with the preferred date and time of your visit, and expected no. of party members.

Alternatively contact Sheffield Markets General Enquiries on 0114 273 5281.

Please note that the site has no disabled access.

Another picture of the market from a different angle - showing the road and traffic down through the area.

Look on the right - here we see building work going on to expand the Castle Market

There's also signs of another road that used to be there that must have run down the back of the original Castle Market ?

There was a short road that led to a side enterance of the old castle market you can see it on the right of photo 2.

I worked at a small photo studio there in '58. There was also a soft furnishing shop oposite the studio but the name escapes me.

In those days lots of the stalls sold fresh chickens and everyone dreaded an eggbound bird being gutted as the stench was appalling. No freezers for domestic use in those days (and not everyone had a fridge either) so you bought fresh to eat on the day. Christmas meant buying meat as late as possible or using a meatsafe in the cellar or larder.

Just a little further down from this road on the other side of Waingate was the SUT (Sheffield United Tours) offices or as the old one's called it UMS. (United Motor Services) They ran coach trips to the coast and were cheaper than the train.

Visit the Castle Ruins

Sheffield Markets operates visits to the Sheffield Castle ruins on Thursdays and Saturdays throughout the year. Appointments are necessary.

To arrange a visit to the ruins please e-mail Sheffield Markets - http://www.sheffieldmarkets.co.uk/contact.php#email - with the preferred date and time of your visit, and expected no. of party members.

Alternatively contact Sheffield Markets General Enquiries on 0114 273 5281.

Please note that the site has no disabled access.

Bloody hell yes - who's up for this?!?!

There was a short road that led to a side enterance of the old castle market you can see it on the right of photo 2.

I worked at a small photo studio there in '58. There was also a soft furnishing shop oposite the studio but the name escapes me.

In those days lots of the stalls sold fresh chickens and everyone dreaded an eggbound bird being gutted as the stench was appalling. No freezers for domestic use in those days (and not everyone had a fridge either) so you bought fresh to eat on the day. Christmas meant buying meat as late as possible or using a meatsafe in the cellar or larder.

Just a little further down from this road on the other side of Waingate was the SUT (Sheffield United Tours) offices or as the old one's called it UMS. (United Motor Services) They ran coach trips to the coast and were cheaper than the train.

It never ceases to amaze me how much information people have about Sheffield past..

Some of the stories and memories are just fantastic !

Some of the stories and memories are just fantastic !

For all the pictures in the world, they are 'lifeless' until you put a story behind them.

That's what's great about memories - they bring an image to life in your mind.

I'd love to get a 'story' behind every picture on the site.

When I was a kid there was a huge crater with a Bailey Bridge across into the meat market. Is the Castle Market now on this site? If it is I don't remember seeing any castle ruins.Does anyone else remember this?

Guest willo

lol hiall,when we were kids mum used to take us to the castle market [she worked in there-harringtons] & my earlier memories are of an outdoor market just down & across from castle market where there was a dog market,with what seemed like 100s of dogs [to buy as pets-i think--lol] any 1 remember it, i think it might have closed down when the castle market opened [all moved inside-exept the dogs].

Guest tsavo

Think you men the one inside the old Sheaf market, known to all as the Rag 'n Tag! The animal section was on the right as you went in from Dixon Lane. A hay and seed merchant occupied part of it. Can't think of their name just now......

John Mace's was the one I think. Memory just came back 'on line'!

Don't mean to pry, Echo, but what year(s) are we talking about?

You're not prying - it's a perfectly acceptable question. I would think it would be around 1952. I have looked on the web for pictures but haven't found any. However, it was there - I just hope someone else will remember it. I also remember the Co-op in Angel Street/Castle Street. Not the Co-op of today. This one was only one storey high and as a child I thought it had a roof like a Toblerone. Probably a temporary building put up after the Blitz.

Guest tsavo

When I was a kid there was a huge crater with a Bailey Bridge across into the meat market. Is the Castle Market now on this site? If it is I don't remember seeing any castle ruins. Does anyone else remember this?

The original meat & fish market was on the site of the now Castle Market area. I can remember a bailey bridge, but can't picture exactly where it was. It was said that you could see part of the castle walls from the Lady's Bridge side. (can't remember the road name, my A to Z arrives Thursday from UK) There is a huge wall with just a strip of revealed stones at the bottom of the concrete. I assume it's still there.

The building used to (maybe it still does) house the RAF recruitment offices.

I had a career in the RAF as my ambition when I left school - wanted to be a pilot (what else) and knowing I was taking the correct 'O'levels etc I went along to make the preliminary enquiries with my Dad. My memory is a little hazy and this may have been two or three visits rather than one but at some point I had an eye test for colur blindness - up to that point I never realised that I was red/green colour blind - but after NOT being able to see the numbers in all the coloured spots I was told that Cadet Pilot was not going to be - I was deeply upset and refused to even consider any other role in the service, so my career took a completly different direction.

For years after wards I could not go into teh Castle Market without looking up at the RAF place and feeling really sad.

Not great quality but a photo of the castle foundations nevertheless! I don't know who the bloke is !

I really do fancie this but I'm not going on my own...do they have minimum numbers?? anyhoo..come on chaps, who wants to go?

I hate to rain on the parade but I heard that they have suspended the tours for the forseeable future. I believe that they are hoping to have some of the foundations visible as part of the development that will be on the site where the Sheaf market was.

Sheffield-based heritage practice ArcHeritage has secured a £31,200 Heritage Lottery Fund grant, which will enable the team to progress the year-long project ahead of the market’s relocation.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/community/castle-market-in-sheffield-celebrates-history-with-new-project-1-4965313