Pond Street Bus Station

Sheffield History

Guest bus man

1983 bout right its the period that the nationals worked on the clipper they were replaced with the 2nd batch of bendi's these were C reg

;-)

Thanks for that jmdee

Another great picture of Pond Street bus station, Park Hill flats and this time, due to the slightly different camera position further to the left of previous shots, a nice inclusion of the Queens Head.

Guest plain talker

Thanks for that jmdee

Another great picture of Pond Street bus station, Park Hill flats and this time, due to the slightly different camera position further to the left of previous shots, a nice inclusion of the Queens Head.

The vantage point must have been on the balcony by the shops, just before one turned to go over the bridge to the bus station.

Is the pale liveried SYT bus, peeking out from behind the standard-liveried bus a "fastline"? (the one with the stylised seated figures on it)

I can see the old factory which became the housing offices beside the SUT building

Oh, and the photographer wants sacking ;-) ;-) there isn't a Mini in sight on that picture :(lollol ;-)

Guest bus man

The pale livered PTE bus (SYT didnt appear till 1986) is one of two metrobuses in save our services livery this lievery also appeared in other towns as well

Note how the national - single decker parked on pond hill - is in the latter livery with the brown across the back at the top earlier examples had it skirting the roof - suspect this may be one of the ex nottingham ones bought to replace the first batch of bendis

Note how the lettering for the housing department has been removed from the building above the queens head there fore the egg box town hall will open as the houseing dept moved into there

Guest transit

The vantage point must have been on the balcony by the shops, just before one turned to go over the bridge to the bus station.

Is the pale liveried SYT bus, peeking out from behind the standard-liveried bus a "fastline"? (the one with the stylised seated figures on it)

I can see the old factory which became the housing offices beside the SUT building

Oh, and the photographer wants sacking ;-) ;-) there isn't a Mini in sight on that picture :(lollol;-)

... the "fastline" type liveries looked like pic 1 -before redesigned as pic 2 - Note the coach style seats .

Guest transit

... the "fastline" type liveries looked like pic 1 -before redesigned as pic 2 - Note the coach style seats .

...fastline -NOT to be confused with "coachline" which looked like these.....

Ponds Street Nora :rolleyes: As kids we all thought she was great always swearing, grandma didnt aprove, she always seemed to be running everwhere. lol

I remember her she had a big nose ,and wore white plimsoles.

Guest littlemalc

Pond St Nora was once given a right dressing down for swearing by "Bob" Tanner, the assistant chief inspector, ever after, she would stride up and down "C" platform, where the inspectors office was, shouting "I'll get you "F"xxxxxx Bob Tanner, it became a matter of great glee for us inspectors if we were working CBS when Nora and Bob were both in residence!

A short film recording the building of Pond St in 1955/6

Another great piece of historic film here, - brilliant

Spoilt for me only by what appears to be a Bobby Knutt / Tony Capstick commentary at the beginning.

I don't particularly like their style and their "local accents" always sounds to me as though it is very much "put on" and doesn't sound that natural.

Some of us could have done a better commentary, but thankfully he had the sense to shut his gob after the first few seconds.

Hi

Here are a few photo's of buses in Pond Street,

Dates and information about the buses are unknown, sure somebody can provide info.

In picture 2 the bus to the rear is in South Yorkshire PTE livery, so it must be 1974 or later.

The Leyland Atlantean in picture 4 is fleet number 1352. This was changed to 222 in 1970, so the picture must pre-date then.

Guest Tigeratplay

Remember the escillators - that moving hand rail went faster than the stairs and was out of sinc! They didn't half make a racket, too...

Remember the escillators - that moving hand rail went faster than the stairs and was out of sinc! They didn't half make a racket, too...

I can't remember that, I bet that was funny. Sounds like something out of a Carry On film. he he

I can't remember that, I bet that was funny. Sounds like something out of a Carry On film. he he

Carry On Escalating ? :blink:

Another great piece of historic film here, - brilliant

Spoilt for me only by what appears to be a Bobby Knutt / Tony Capstick commentary at the beginning.

I don't particularly like their style and their "local accents" always sounds to me as though it is very much "put on" and doesn't sound that natural.

Some of us could have done a better commentary, but thankfully he had the sense to shut his gob after the first few seconds.

Re. the Capstick commentary, now, this is the perspective from a 40 year exile. To me the Sheffield accent is music to the ears, and from the first time I heard Tony Capstick's voice-over on the Bygone Sheffield video I was captivated by it. Listening to his description of the Lord Mayor's Parade or the Little Mesters or the Royal Visits, I think he is so easy to listen to and SO Sheffield and for the atmosphere he creates, I don't think they could have chosen better.

Or have things changed since I've been gone?

Re. the Capstick commentary, now, this is the perspective from a 40 year exile. To me the Sheffield accent is music to the ears, and from the first time I heard Tony Capstick's voice-over on the Bygone Sheffield video I was captivated by it. Listening to his description of the Lord Mayor's Parade or the Little Mesters or the Royal Visits, I think he is so easy to listen to and SO Sheffield and for the atmosphere he creates, I don't think they could have chosen better.

Or have things changed since I've been gone?

Oh they are true enough Sheffieldrs alreyt,

It's just that being famous, being in a wider than just local audience, being on public view and being asked to speak in front of microphones and cameras changes how you say things as you tend to concentrate and think more about what you are saying so it loses it's "naturalness".

I'm sure I would do exactly the same under the circumstances.

But I have commented before in another topic about the so called "local" announcement voice overs of destinations on the Supertram route that a Sheffield is asked to say "Next stop, Arbourthorne Road", which they pronounce "Har-Bore-Thorne Rhode" while a real natural sounding "local" would say "Aar-Ber-Thoo-An Roo-Add"

Guest Tigeratplay

Was even worse coming down - the belt going faster than the stairs meant it was safer NOT to hold the moving handrail! Then there was a bank of payphones somewhere near to the bottom of those escillators and always in use, with people waiting to make phone calls. Hardly ever see anyone using the few payphones that are left now...

Now, is there a petrol station under the fiesta/car park block in this photo? Wasn't an attendent murdered in there around the early 70s?

I don't know about at the petrol station, but a car park attendant at the multi-storey entrance on Arundel gate was murdered.