Pond Street Bus Station

Sheffield History

God yeah - I forgot it was animated!

Didn't it go round in a swirl like a snails shell ?

Guest tsavo

God yeah - I forgot it was animated!

Didn't it go round in a swirl like a snails shell ?

Tiny picture, but this may remind you...

tut tut

"> " type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

The driver's driving with the doors wide open !

ADMIN it's strange you should comment about the doors being open, i remember traveling from Kiveton to Sheffield on a Northern bus with the doors open all the way.

Reason being the exhaust had ruptured and the bus was full of diesel fumes,

the driver said we the passengers had had an option put up with it or he would stop the bus

and we wold have to wait an hour or two for another one.

What a Micky Mouse company that was. :rolleyes:

Tiny picture, but this may remind you...

I remember that it was pink in colour if i am right and it did swirl round with lights.

This picture is dated 1977.

I took a similar picture at a more modern time. I thought it would be interesting to see how much the place has changed. Please ignore the date, that is the camera default settings. The photo was taken at the same time Dyson House was being Dismantled, maybe 2006

Guest plain talker

Does anyone remember "Rag 69" being daubed on the domed roof, halfway down platform D or E by the students? they tried to paint it over with a tarr-y soert of paint, but to the day teh place was demolished, you could still read the words there . lol

Does anyone remember "Rag 69" being daubed on the domed roof, halfway down platform D or E by the students? they tried to paint it over with a tarr-y soert of paint, but to the day teh place was demolished, you could still read the words there . lol

That Rag 69 was there for years - all my childhood it seemed. Now that would be a great picture to find.

That Rag 69 was there for years - all my childhood it seemed. Now that would be a great picture to find.

I too remember Rag 69 !

Ponds Street Nora :rolleyes: As kids we all thought she was great always swearing, grandma didnt aprove, she always seemed to be running everwhere. lol

Guest Sheffield Steve

Can you remember the old Pond Street cafe on the bus station?

I had some good laughs in there in my youth - so dark and seedy and the baked beans where extremely coagulated - the old girl behind the counter always had a *** in her mouth, coughing ash into the food, lol.

I wonder what the Health & Safety brigade would have made of that these days?

Great memories, happy memories.

Hi

Here are a few photo's of buses in Pond Street,

Dates and information about the buses are unknown, sure somebody can provide info.

• Like 1

Guest transit

Hi

Here are a few photo's of buses in Pond Street,

Dates and information about the buses are unknown, sure somebody can provide info.

Hi Stuart - great pics- pic 1 ,shows bus entering the station as they all did via Harmer Lane BEFORE any sign of the building work of the forthcoming Sheaf Valley Baths to the left -which was opaened in 1972 -so i presume around 1970.PIC 2 - L REG bus which was registered AUG 73 - and does"nt look new 1 so i"ll guess around 75. pIC 3 /4 are buses which were new around 59/60 but worked approx 12/15 years before withdrawal so again the pics would probably be early /mid 70"s. The bus behind the one in pic 2 was the one for route 71 which served the whole of the NEW Norfolfk Park estate ,right up to Manor Top and down Prince ect, which was the first bus in front of the "carousel kiosk"(newsagents) and directly opposite the petrol station under Cinecentre!

Hi Stuart - great pics- pic 1 ,shows bus entering the station as they all did via Harmer Lane BEFORE any sign of the building work of the forthcoming Sheaf Valley Baths to the left -which was opaened in 1972 -so i presume around 1970.PIC 2 - L REG bus which was registered AUG 73 - and does"nt look new 1 so i"ll guess around 75. pIC 3 /4 are buses which were new around 59/60 but worked approx 12/15 years before withdrawal so again the pics would probably be early /mid 70"s. The bus behind the one in pic 2 was the one for route 71 which served the whole of the NEW Norfolfk Park estate ,right up to Manor Top and down Prince ect, which was the first bus in front of the "carousel kiosk"(newsagents) and directly opposite the petrol station under Cinecentre!

Pond Street

Try this link, don't blink or you will miss it

Try this clip, don't blink or you will miss it

Stuart your link wont work mate? ... I tried to pick the link up but it's not having any of it :mellow:

Guest Uppsy_Daisy

Hi, I don't know if you have already had a thread of pond st, but I came across a very old photo, you might have seen it?

I'll have a stab at the buses..

No1 is a Leyland PD2..I think not too sure about thie one.

No2 looking at the wheels and the bustle at the back I sure that a Damiler Fleetline

No3 AEC and Im sure thats a Bridge Master...built to a very low height to get under....you've guessed it...but they were quite unusual and very ugly!

No4 the best of the lot is a Leyland Atlatean PDR1.

Its sad that I know this so I'll not tell anyone if you wont!!