Pond Street Bus Station

Sheffield History

Guest transit

I'll have a stab at the buses..

No1 is a Leyland PD2..I think not too sure about thie one.

No2 looking at the wheels and the bustle at the back I sure that a Damiler Fleetline

No3 AEC and Im sure thats a Bridge Master...built to a very low height to get under....you've guessed it...but they were quite unusual and very ugly!

No4 the best of the lot is a Leyland Atlatean PDR1.

Its sad that I know this so I'll not tell anyone if you wont!!

Pic 3 is AEC Bridgemaster 525 which has been preserved and can still be seen at various rallies and shows.

Guest carlie167

Here are a few more pics of Pond St, all taken about 1983, when it was a busy bus station and not a ghost town !!

Guest carlie167

Sorry the quality is a bit hazy. :(:( Can you see the old S U T building in the background and also the old council rent offices, how I remember going there when we were trying for our first house!!

Great pictures especialy the one with the Kiosk. Bought many a paper and crisps there on the way to umpteen away games on SUT coaches

Guest bus man

The first set of photos - the following is off the top of my head so apologies if they are wrong

Leyland PD cant work out if its a PD2 or a PD3 thinks is a PD2 but the body work is by Roe of leeds its a B fleet bus (owned 50% Sheffield Corp and 50% British Railways

Atlantean / East Lancs this would be a Greenland Bus the 96 went via Parkway Markets I think

bus with 105 gleadless on blind this is 525 the only front entereance bridge master on the fleet there were around 5 other bridgemasters but these were rear entrance (Dont confuse a Bridgemaster with the regents there were plenty of these.

525 is preserved and lives in Halifax

Bus on route 41 Atlantean very early one and the photo shows it when newish think the body work is MCW

The dates are possibly early 1960's sorry I dont have the books to do a propper look

Hope this helps

Does this show the FIESTA sign and the TOP RANK SUITE sign too ?

I think it does but can't quite tell..

Try this one instead, taken 1969 - 70

What about the animated Cinecentre (sp) sign?

I've already posted this in the cinemas and theatres section but I think this is the animated neon sign you mean.

It was red and starting at the top of the C the light went down around the C then round that spiral bit until it got to the end, it then went out and a few seconds later repeated the whole sequence over again. Not exactly Las Vegas but a Sheffield sight for sure.

Does anyone remember "Rag 69" being daubed on the domed roof, halfway down platform D or E by the students? they tried to paint it over with a tarr-y soert of paint, but to the day teh place was demolished, you could still read the words there . lol

"Rag 69" down platform D or E

By sheer coincidence here is platform D taken by me at either the very end of 1969 or early 1970 (December 69 or January 1970). Rag 69 would have taken place in October 1969 as this is when "Rag Week" was. No sign of that student graffiti here though, just people waiting for the bus to Swallownest, Catcliffe and Treeton.

Does this show the FIESTA sign and the TOP RANK SUITE sign too ?

I think it does but can't quite tell..

This shows Fiesta building, Top Rank is just visible in part to the right of it going off picture.

Oh and there's this one, taken from the other end of Pond Street (not the kiosk end) looking up Pond Street, again the Fiesta sign is prominent.

This shows Fiesta building, Top Rank is just visible in part to the right of it going off picture.

And, if you look, shows the "Rag 68" graffiti to fine effect.

Now, is there a petrol station under the fiesta/car park block in this photo? Wasn't an attendent murdered in there around the early 70s?

Dave

A then and now shot - or should it be then and then? Before the Poly/Hallam Univ from "Do you remember Old Sheffield" no 6

Guest bus man

Dave

A then and now shot - or should it be then and then? Before the Poly/Hallam Univ from "Do you remember Old Sheffield" no 6

Note the sign on the end of the bus station Central Bus Station - i refer to an earlier comment

The shot looking across the bus station shows a VR on the 57 can anyone id it as one of these is preserved

Rag 69 would have taken place in October 1969 as this is when "Rag Week" was. No sign of that student graffiti here though, just people waiting for the bus to Swallownest, Catcliffe and Treeton.

The graffiti was painted on the outside of the dome roof section of the platform.

Guest plain talker

Rag 69 would have taken place in October 1969 as this is when "Rag Week" was. No sign of that student graffiti here though, just people waiting for the bus to Swallownest, Catcliffe and Treeton.

The graffiti was painted on the outside of the dome roof section of the platform.

the picture posted by DaveH in post #41, showing the Fiesta/Cinecenta in the background has evidence of the "Rag 68"(?) graffiti, in the tarred domed roof, between the two buses.

They never quite got rid of it, and it was still there in the mid 1980's when the "old" bus station was demolished to build the new interchange.

(if you magnify the picture, and find the stairs down from the fiesta, above the two double decker buses, go directly down from that, and you'll see the "painted out" bit on the roof)

the picture posted by DaveH in post #41, showing the Fiesta/Cinecenta in the background has evidence of the "Rag 68"(?) graffiti, in the tarred domed roof, between the two buses.

They never quite got rid of it, and it was still there in the mid 1980's when the "old" bus station was demolished to build the new interchange.

(if you magnify the picture, and find the stairs down from the fiesta, above the two double decker buses, go directly down from that, and you'll see the "painted out" bit on the roof)

Now let me see if I have got this right.

Was the graffiti rag 69 or rag 68?

It hardly matters as it appears the graffiti was prominent on the building for many years afterwards and all my pictures are after that date.

My picture in post #41 does as plain talker points out, quite clearly show the words Rag 68, so I had a picture of it all the time without realising it!

Now the bit where I got confused and need clarification.

To me the "domed roof" could only have been platforms A and B, as this entire building had a domed roof running its full length as many of my pictures clearly show. this building has the wording "CENTRAL BUS STATION" at both ends where the doming of the roof is prominent.

Platforms D and E to me had flat roofs and I found this slightly confusing when it was originally stated.

However, my picture in post #41 clearly shows a domed roof, with the RAG 68 graffiti, not running along the building but apparently across it at one end.

Can someone confirm that this is platform D / E as I always entered the bus station normally from the other (kiosk) end.

Now let me see if I have got this right.

Was the graffiti rag 69 or rag 68?

It hardly matters as it appears the graffiti was prominent on the building for many years afterwards and all my pictures are after that date.

My picture in post #41 does as plain talker points out, quite clearly show the words Rag 68, so I had a picture of it all the time without realising it!

Now the bit where I got confused and need clarification.

To me the "domed roof" could only have been platforms A and B, as this entire building had a domed roof running its full length as many of my pictures clearly show. this building has the wording "CENTRAL BUS STATION" at both ends where the doming of the roof is prominent.

Platforms D and E to me had flat roofs and I found this slightly confusing when it was originally stated.

However, my picture in post #41 clearly shows a domed roof, with the RAG 68 graffiti, not running along the building but apparently across it at one end.

Can someone confirm that this is platform D / E as I always entered the bus station normally from the other (kiosk) end.

Hi Dave

See these 2 photo's of mine from another post

The 1st is platform B, the 41 went from platform D if I remember right

Thanks Stuart, your second picture makes it all clear, that domed bit that runs across the direction of the buses is in the middle not at the ends. Its the bit where you could cross the bus lanes from one shelter to the next so would be on the lower (higher lettered) shelters which had flat roofs either side of this dome along their length.

Thanks Stuart, your second picture makes it all clear, that domed bit that runs across the direction of the buses is in the middle not at the ends. Its the bit where you could cross the bus lanes from one shelter to the next so would be on the lower (higher lettered) shelters which had flat roofs either side of this dome along their length.

Here is Carlie167's photo from the Threepeny Bit Kiosk thread

Here is Carlie167's photo from the Threepeny Bit Kiosk thread

Yes, got it, those domed roofs on the lower platforms (higher lettered) are exactly as I have just tried to descibe them and the picture shows this perfectly. Funny how I missed Carlie167's excellent picture of this as I have posted quite a bit in the threpenny bit kiosk thread myself.

Last weekend I came back from Remagen and the coach dropped us off in time to get a bus at 11-30 pm which

reminded me of the days when they blew a whistle for the last bus in Pond Street. Was it at 11-45 or midnight?

then all the buses set off at once like the big exodus. I don't suppose there's any whistle blowing now, well not in Pond Street.

;-)

Guest transit

Last weekend I came back from Remagen and the coach dropped us off in time to get a bus at 11-30 pm which

reminded me of the days when they blew a whistle for the last bus in Pond Street. Was it at 11-45 or midnight?

then all the buses set off at once like the big exodus. I don't suppose there's any whistle blowing now, well not in Pond Street.

;-)

....already mentioned in "Buses at Sheffield Bus Station " under Sheffield Transport. You may like post 8 !!!!! lol