Pond Street Bus Station

Sheffield History

Brilliant !

Thanks for the link.

no problem, been looking for pics of this for a while, does anyone remember when this map was removed as i was born in 1978 but swear i can remember it....some great other pics on that facebook page by the way including the hole in the road and tinsley viaduct under construction

What was the Pubs name? Was it the Queens Head? All I know it was very old.

Yes the Queens Head, and it is still going.

I don't know about at the petrol station, but a car park attendant at the multi-storey entrance on Arundel gate was murdered.

From memory I recall this hapenned in the early/mid 1970's and remains an unsolved murder case.

3 hours ago, Sheffield History said:

Pond Hill Street Sheffield.jpg

This looks like the best years of Pond Street bus station in the 60's. Atlanteans on Low Edges 42 / 53  and Prince 71, but still back loaders on a lot of other routes. Also plenty of places to park a bus or a car.

What a memory-jerking photograph. I think my 'bus home, the 102, departed from the first lane, though whethe rit was from the single-storey glazed shelters or the taller domed bit further along I can't remember.

To get to Pond Street from King Ted's I had to catch a service down Glossop Road (54, 55 or 60), get off at (I think) the City Hall, walk down Fargate, along Chapel Walk and then down a very long flight of steps which started somewhere opposite the Lyceum Theatre  and came out near Pond Street. These steps were always taken at breakneck speed!

OIddly, going from home to King Ted's I took a different route, getting off the 101 or 102 at Harmer Lane (the last request stop before Pond Street) and walking back round the corner where the 60, etc., began their journeys opposite the Midland Station. I can't remember why I used these two different routes.

On ‎31‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 21:47, boginspro said:

This looks like the best years of Pond Street bus station in the 60's. Atlanteans on Low Edges 42 / 53  and Prince 71, but still back loaders on a lot of other routes. Also plenty of places to park a bus or a car.

An ideal candidate for a then and now picture!   From the 60s I spent thirty years of my working life in and around that area, what stories, what characters.  The petrol station even had a classic car showroom. A far cry from the ghost town it has now become.  W/E.

I remember speaking to one of the architects who designed the new bus station. He was saying during it's construction they uncovered lots of building remains from industrial works. There was lot of machinery left inside them. He said they were all covered back up and are still under the new station. 

On 9/18/2017 at 08:17, Athy said:

What a memory-jerking photograph. I think my 'bus home, the 102, departed from the first lane, though whethe rit was from the single-storey glazed shelters or the taller domed bit further along I can't remember.

To get to Pond Street from King Ted's I had to catch a service down Glossop Road (54, 55 or 60), get off at (I think) the City Hall, walk down Fargate, along Chapel Walk and then down a very long flight of steps which started somewhere opposite the Lyceum Theatre  and came out near Pond Street. These steps were always taken at breakneck speed!

OIddly, going from home to King Ted's I took a different route, getting off the 101 or 102 at Harmer Lane (the last request stop before Pond Street) and walking back round the corner where the 60, etc., began their journeys opposite the Midland Station. I can't remember why I used these two different routes.

It's taken a while to stir my grey matter on this memory but in the first half of the 50's I think you caught the 102 in the first lane near the 'kiosk' location as you say. The 54,55 and 60 at that time started (I thought) from Leopold Street ( City Grammar) outward via West street and returned as you describe via Division Street so you would get off the bus by the Cinema House, it would then turn left into Leopold Street to complete the circuit. I don't know exactly when the 60's ran to/from the Midland Station but maybe it was during the years you were travelling to KE's and that you might have had to adjust your regular habit to accommodate a route change. Does this help or am I just 'muddying the water' ? :unsure: 

Well I started going to King Ted's in 1960 and they certainly departed from opposite the Midland Station then. They did run via Leopold Street. on their way to Broomhill. From memory the 60 ended up in Fulwood and the 55 at Crimicar Lane, though one of those routes sometimes terminated at a mysterious place called Hangingwater Lane (or Road) which was not on the buses' destination blinds, so the conductor had to shout it out. This sounded best if the conductor was West Indian - my first experience of Caribbean speech.

Thought I would add my two pennies worth, by sharing this 1965 close-up view of the world famous 'thrupney bit' kiosk. Bought many a Mars Bar, and magazine from there.

PT064-Pond Street Bus Station, Sheffield-1965 - Web Copy.jpg

4 hours ago, Unitedite Returns said:

Thought I would add my two pennies worth, by sharing this 1965 close-up view of the world famous 'thrupney bit' kiosk. Bought many a Mars Bar, and magazine from there.

PT064-Pond Street Bus Station, Sheffield-1965 - Web Copy.jpg

I recall that had certain 'eye catching' magazines displayed in the widows. Well, eye catching to me as a young teenage boy anyway!!

Screenshot 2020-03-30 at 13.56.47.jpg

Redevelopment of Pond Street showing (left) the possible construction of Fiesta nightclub, (right) Pawson and Brailsford, printers, and (centre) Victoria Hall, Norfolk Street

• Like 2

Screenshot 2020-04-07 at 17.04.43.jpg

View of Pond Street bus station in Sheffield City Centre to the right of screen

Pond Street at junction with Flat Street, No 83 and 85, Royal Oak P.H., extreme right, next to petrol pump, entrance to Court 7, No 75 and 77, Beerhouse known as The Greyhound, note phone box, left, c1936

Pond Street at junction with Flat Street, No 83 and 85, Royal Oak P.H., extreme right, next to petrol pump, entrance to Court 7, No 75 and 77, Beerhouse known as The Greyhound, note phone box, left

63659315-AC75-4C65-9C22-632976C9D039.jpeg

Pond Street in 1937 after much of the housing had been demolished