Best free family search site

Draco

I am doing my family tree and is wondering which is the best FREE UK census site in doing this, one that isn't having to give out bank details to go back before 1841, also one that doesn't give you a load of crap in just because of being free to use..Meaning which is the best bestest out there EVER! there has to be one surely???

I agree with the above - the best free sites are familysearch and Sheffield Indexers.

The Mormons also have Family History Centres adjoining some of their Churches. You can go there and get free access to Birth Marriage and Death indexes back to 1837. There is one at Sheffield at Wheel Lane,Grenoside,Sheffield, Phone: 44 (0) 114-245 3124

Hours: T, Th, F 10am-2pm, 7pm-9pm; W 10am-12pm.

You can also get most of the BMD Index data though on FreeBMD.

There is NO free site for census data. In the words of the well known Sheffield saying "You don't get owt for nowt" !!

If all you want is one or two census searches then if you make an entry on the Sheffield Indexers message board then someone will do a census look up for you. However if you want to research the whole of a family tree its virtually impossible to do it without spending money not only to get census data but also to get copies of birth, marriage and death certificates which cost £7 each.

John

Okay, thanks I will give them a try. I don't mind paying if only it comes up right, instead of putting all the effort in putting details in the search boxes and then having the frustration in it saying that to go any further you need to give out your bank details, all that without it giving you any little detail in what it has found initially. I have been trying http://search.ancestry.co.uk which it gives you a free 14 day trial and I have found quite a lot of info on my families background, and I am now stuck on a certain person because it won't go any further in the past than 1861. Also is there any site that can give out census info before 1901? that can be very frustrating when you cannot get details before the 1901 census.

Cheers XX

Okay, thanks I will give them a try. I don't mind paying if only it comes up right, instead of putting all the effort in putting details in the search boxes and then having the frustration in it saying that to go any further you need to give out your bank details, all that without it giving you any little detail in what it has found initially. I have been trying http://search.ancestry.co.uk which it gives you a free 14 day trial and I have found quite a lot of info on my families background, and I am now stuck on a certain person because it won't go any further in the past than 1861. Also is there any site that can give out census info before 1901? that can be very frustrating when you cannot get details before the 1901 census.

Cheers XX

If you are willing to spend about £70 for an annual subscription then www.ancestry.co.uk will give you total access to all the census returns from 1841 until 1901 for a period of a year - you can access all day every day for a year if you wish. It also gives you access to all the births, marriage and death indexes from 1837 as well as a variety of other databases.

The cost might seem expensive but it can work out a lot cheaper than accessing the per-per-view sites such as Genes Reunited or various others where your money can disappear very quickly. You can get a free trial to this also.

I have a subscription so if you want to send me the details of who you are researching I will see what I can find for you. Send me a PM if you like.

John

If you are willing to spend about £70 for an annual subscription then www.ancestry.co.uk will give you total access to all the census returns from 1841 until 1901 for a period of a year - you can access all day every day for a year if you wish. It also gives you access to all the births, marriage and death indexes from 1837 as well as a variety of other databases.

The cost might seem expensive but it can work out a lot cheaper than accessing the per-per-view sites such as Genes Reunited or various others where your money can disappear very quickly. You can get a free trial to this also.

I have a subscription so if you want to send me the details of who you are researching I will see what I can find for you. Send me a PM if you like.

John

That is very kind of you John, thankyou for offering me your help which I will accept with much appreciation. The person which has me perplexed is my gr gr gr grandfather called Thomas Goodwin Birth: 1838, Sheffield, Yorkshire, England. His spouse was Mary Ann nee Cobb born Liverpool, Lancashire, England around 1838. I find them both in the 1881 census which they have a son James Goodwin and a Daughter Mary Ann Goodwin. Before that In the 1861 census his birth changes to 1836 even though my gr gr gr grandmother stays the same and they are living at my gr gr gr gr grandmothers another Mary ann Cobb. I cannot find anything before 1861 or in between 1871. Also How do you search for people after the 1901 census? My gr grandfather which is james Goodwins son aka James Lewis Goodwin born abt 1883, Sheffield, Yorkshire, England , mother Cassy Goodwin Nee Smith birth abt 1856, father James Goodwin, I cannot find anything about inc his death, marriage etc..not a thing, he is only mentioned in 1901 census and 1891 which he was only young. He had siblings Ida A Goodwin and Horace Goodwin, but that is all I can find. I hope I am not asking too much and if you cannot find anything yourself I will understand. Thanks again and good luck! XX

Hi Draco, I will see what I can find. It will be easier for me to respond if you message me with your email address so I can send a full reply.

Cheers, John

Hi Draco, I will see what I can find. It will be easier for me to respond if you message me with your email address so I can send a full reply.

Cheers, John

Hi John..my email address is Imagoodybuddy66@googlemail.com. Good luck and take your time.

1871 census

4691 folio 147B

1 Court Oborne Street

(Brightside Bierlow; Ecclesiastical District: Wicker (Holy Trinity))

Thomas GOODWIN Head Marr 33 table blade grinder Sheffield

Mary GOODWIN Wife Marr 33 LAN Liverpool

James GOODWIN Son 11 Sheffield

Mary A COBB Mother [sic] Wid 64 Sheffield

Found using the partial index at GenUKI and the original returns on Cd-rom.

Hugh B)

There is more than one possibility for Thomas in the 1841 index (at Sheffield Indexers). You need a marriage certificate for Thomas and Mary Ann to get information about his father to help identify him. I am having trouble finding an entry in the marriage index though.

The COBB family is easier to identify:

1841 census

1329/2 e.d.6 folio 49a

Oborne St

Upper Wall Yard

Thos COBB 39 cabinet m.

Mary Ann COBB 33

Ellen COBB 8

Mary Ann COBB 3

Lydia COBB 1

the mother, Ellen and Lydia born in county, Thomas and daughter Mary Ann not.

2 burials at St John, Park (from SHeffield FHS Burials Disk)

COBB George 2 Mar 1854 Oborne St 2y

COBB Thomas 5 Jan 1853 Oborne St 50y

[name/date of burial/address/age]

Hugh

Searching for a marriage for James Lewis GOODWIN at FreeBMD you get:

GRO Marriages DEC Qtr 1907

BELL Hannah Sheffield 9c 1075

GOODWIN James Lewis Sheffield 9c 1075

TOMLIN Agnes Ruth Sheffield 9c 1075

Not sure where the second groom went, but it doesn't matter...

On the same site, searching for GOODWIN births with mother's maiden name TOMLIN or BELL I found:

GRO Births JUN Qtr 1913

GOODWIN Margaret (mmn Tomlin)

Ecclesall B. 9c 864

(This only picks up births registered after July 1st 1911 when mmn was first included in the index.)

There are also GOODWIN/BELL births but not in Sheffield, so I'm guessing that James Lewis GOODWIN married Agnes TOMLIN.

Is this him?

White's 1919/20 Directory of Sheffield

68 Hadfield St.

Goodwin James L. clerk

(if it wasn't for the 'ouses in between I could probably hit this house with cricket ball from where I am sitting lol )

Hugh

Searching for a marriage for James Lewis GOODWIN at FreeBMD you get:

GRO Marriages DEC Qtr 1907

BELL Hannah Sheffield 9c 1075

GOODWIN James Lewis Sheffield 9c 1075

TOMLIN Agnes Ruth Sheffield 9c 1075

Not sure where the second groom went, but it doesn't matter...

On the same site, searching for GOODWIN births with mother's maiden name TOMLIN or BELL I found:

GRO Births JUN Qtr 1913

GOODWIN Margaret (mmn Tomlin)

Ecclesall B. 9c 864

(This only picks up births registered after July 1st 1911 when mmn was first included in the index.)

There are also GOODWIN/BELL births but not in Sheffield, so I'm guessing that James Lewis GOODWIN married Agnes TOMLIN.

Is this him?

White's 1919/20 Directory of Sheffield

68 Hadfield St.

Goodwin James L. clerk

(if it wasn't for the 'ouses in between I could probably hit this house with cricket ball from where I am sitting lol )

Hugh

Brilliant Hugh! And a very big thankyou to you and Johnm who has found me lots more info on Thomas Goodwin my GR GR GR Grandfather he has found me lots more than I anticipated. I didn't realise other people was helping out until today when JohnM reminded me that people was also helping on Sheffield History, so I am sorry I didn't acknowledge you Hugh until now.

The james Lewis you found is very helpful and I am very excited in what you have found and know that the house still stands. I know something About the tomlin side because I had a great (could be gr gr) aunt called Kate Tomlin we used to call her Aunty Kitty she lived in one of those 3 storey old houses facing clifton park and I always wondered where the tomlin side came into it all, NOW I know! Now I have another family to research which will be interesting because I know that tomlin is somewhere related to the firths of Firth Brown! So any more (even if its a little help) will be very much appreciated, if not I thankyou again and again!

Dawn xx