Tuckwoods and Alfred Road

Guest jesse

Guest jesse

I'm researching my family, the Tuckwoods. They lived on Alfred Rd from the 1880s to the time it was demolished i'm looking for any relatives but also anyone who knew my family they had a carting business and my great great grandfather joseph had about 8 children so there must be some distant relatives out there so please get in touch.

Im researching my family the Tuckwoods they lived on alfred rd from the 1880s to the time it was demolished im looking for any relatives but also anyone who knew my family they had a carting business and my great great grandfather joseph had about 8 children so there must be some distant relatives out there so please get in touch.

John TUCKWOOD Carter 40 Fell Street, Brightside White's 1919

John TUCKWOOD Carter 40 Fell Street, Brightside Kelly's 1925

John TUCKWOOD Carter Court 5 Alfred Road, Brightside White's 1911

John James Glossop TUCKWOOD Proprietor of the Great Northern Supply Stores 21 Effingham Street, Rotherham Kelly's 1893

Joseph TUCKWOOD Hawker 112 Alfred Road, Brightside White's 1911

Joseph TUCKWOOD Greengrocer 112 Alfred Road, Brightside White's 1919

Joseph TUCKWOOD Greengrocer 112 Alfred Road, Brightside Kelly's 1925

Joseph TUCKWOOD Carter 85 Alfred Road Kelly's 1893

Variety of Tuckwoodsand, no, I'm not related. Good Luck.

Guest skeets

John TUCKWOOD Carter 40 Fell Street, Brightside White's 1919

John TUCKWOOD Carter 40 Fell Street, Brightside Kelly's 1925

John TUCKWOOD Carter Court 5 Alfred Road, Brightside White's 1911

John James Glossop TUCKWOOD Proprietor of the Great Northern Supply Stores 21 Effingham Street, Rotherham Kelly's 1893

Joseph TUCKWOOD Hawker 112 Alfred Road, Brightside White's 1911

Joseph TUCKWOOD Greengrocer 112 Alfred Road, Brightside White's 1919

Joseph TUCKWOOD Greengrocer 112 Alfred Road, Brightside Kelly's 1925

Joseph TUCKWOOD Carter 85 Alfred Road Kelly's 1893

Variety of Tuckwoodsand, no, I'm not related. Good Luck.

Tuckwoods was a fairly big delivery firm many years ago, there was also a very good restaurant on Pinstone st years and years ago a named Tuckwoods , CHEERS skeets

1891 Tuckwoods

Joseph Tuckwood, 51, Carter, born Nottingham

Ellen, 44

William, 23, Carter

John, 21, Carter

Ellen,, 14, Scholar

Joseph, 12, Scholar

Florence, 7, Scholar

Albert, 4, Scholar

Ernest, 2

All bar Joseph Sheffield born; resident at 85 Alfred Road, Brightside Bierlow.

1881 Tuckwoods

Joseph Tuckwood, 40, General Labourer, born Willoughby, Nottingham

Ellen, 33

Mary A, 15

William, 13, Scholar

John, 11, Scholar

Eliza, 11, Scholar

Ellen,, 4

Joseph, 2

All bar Joseph Sheffield born; resident at 59 Alfred Road, Brightside Bierlow.

1871 Tuckwoods

Joseph,, 31, Joiner, b. Willoughby, Notts

Ellen, 24

Mary Ann, 5

William, 3

John, 7 months

17 New Cemetery Road, Brightside Bierlow (Pitsmoor Ecclesiastical District)

1861 Tuckwood

Joseph, 21, Apprentice Joiner, b. Willoughby, Notts

Address Town Street and Blind Lane, Keyworth, Nottinghamshire

1851 Tuckwoods

William, 46, Farmer 90 acres, born Willoughby

Eliza, 44, born Rudington, Notts

Ann, 22, born Willoughby

Elizabeth, 16, Willoughby

William, 16, Willoughby

John, 12, Scholar, Willoughby

Joseph, 9, Willoughby

Address Westthorpe End

There's a certain sameness about the marriages of some of the children:

GRO Marriages SEP Qtr 1898

WILD Leonard Sheffield 9c 644

TUCKWOOD Ellen Sheffield 9c 644

GRO Marriages JUN Qtr 1903

TUCKWOOD Joseph Sheffield 9c 766

WILDE Rose Sheffield 9c 766

GRO Marriages JUN Qtr 1905

WILD William Sheffield 9c 744

TUCKWOOD Florence Sheffield 9c 744

two who bucked the trend:

GRO Marriages JUN Qtr 1894

TUCKWOOD William Ecclesall B. 9c 468

HURT Ada Ecclesall B. 9c 468

GRO Marriages SEP Qtr 1913

TUCKWOOD Albert (Sawyer) Sheffield 9c 1306

SAWYER Minnie (Tuckwood) Sheffield 9c 1306

I can't see many children of these marriages. This must be a son of the last:

GRO Births MAR Qtr 1914

TUCKWOOD Albert (mmn Sawyer) Sheffield 9c 1281

William and Ada (nee HURT) have 5 children listed in the 1901 census).

Hugh

Guest babybluejojo

Hiya

I am helping someone with their family tree who have these Tuckwoods in them (or so I found out last night)!

The person I am helping are part of the Wild side of the family - past the 3 generations of Leonard Wild's - one of which was thier father.

I have found Ellen Tuckwood listed on IGI (1881 census) as Ellin - which threw me off a bit while tracing them. The listing is as follows:-

Joseph Tuckwood Head M Male 40 Willougby Nottingham General Labourer

Ellin Tuckwood Wife M Female 33 Sheffield

Mary A Tuckwood Dau Female 15 Sheffield

William Tuckwood Son Male 13 Sheffield Scholar

John Tuckwood Son Male 11 Sheffield Scholar

Eliza Tuckwood Dau Female 11 Sheffield Scholar

Ellin Tuckwood Dau Female 4 Sheffield

Joseph Tuckwood Son Male 2 Sheffield

Dwelling 59 Alfred Rd, Brightside Bierlow, York, England

Family History Library Film 1342128

Piece/Folio 4664/40

Page 21

I will copy this info that you have put on here and pass it onto the friend. Any further help that I can be with this please dont hesitate to ask.

1891 Tuckwoods

Joseph Tuckwood, 51, Carter, born Nottingham

Ellen, 44

William, 23, Carter

John, 21, Carter

Ellen,, 14, Scholar

Joseph, 12, Scholar

Florence, 7, Scholar

Albert, 4, Scholar

Ernest, 2

All bar Joseph Sheffield born; resident at 85 Alfred Road, Brightside Bierlow.

Joseph Tuckwood, Carter (presumably Joseph Senior)

1893 85 Alfred Road

John Tuckwood, Carter

1911 Court 5 Alfred Road, Brightside

1919 and 1925 40 Fell Street, Brightside

Joseph Tuckwood, Hawker (Senior, Junior ?)

1911 Hawker 112 Alfred Road

then 1919 and 1925 Greengrocer 112 Alfred Road (presumably Junior)

Albert Tuckwood, Coal Dealer

1919 and 1925 10 Fell Street, Brightside

Have just read your post and it brought back some memories for me. My Grandad had friends named Tuckwood who lived on the Medlock estate at Handsworth in the 1970's. He's no longer with us I'm afraid but was born in 1915 and brought up on Mons Street, which is pretty close to Alfred Road and I think that this is where he would have known them from. I dont know the first names of Mr & Mrs Tuckwood (everyone was Mr & Mrs to me then, I don't think I realised older people actually had first names until I was about 10!), but they were about the same age as my Grandparents and really nice peoeple, they used to wave to us through the living room window every Friday night as we walked up the hill to the club. All our family lived down Attercliffe upto the mid 1970's and for the 150 years prior to that, we never seemed to be very far away. Not much info for your research I know, but stirred some happy memories and good to see others preserving their Attercliffe heritage.

Guest lebourg

I used to live on Hall Road, Handsworth in the 1950's to the 1970's and there used to be a fish and chip shop (which was next to Parsley's grocery shop) and the owner of that was called Mr Tuckwood, as the earlier poster pointed out when we were young no one knew their first names, but this man could be related to you. He and his wife didn't have any children.

I'm researching my family, the Tuckwoods. They lived on Alfred Rd from the 1880s to the time it was demolished i'm looking for any relatives but also anyone who knew my family they had a carting business and my great great grandfather joseph had about 8 children so there must be some distant relatives out there so please get in touch.

I am related distantly to the Tuckwood family but these were the Grocery and Restaurant family, Are they the same family as you are researching?

PopT

I know these are old posts, but I'm intrigued by the Tuckwood marriages and in particular, the Rose and William Wild who married Joseph and Florence. Has anyone discovered if they were brother and sister? I am waiting for a birth cert to find out if they are children of my great great grandmother Hannah Wild.

I know these are old posts, but I'm intrigued by the Tuckwood marriages and in particular, the Rose and William Wild who married Joseph and Florence. Has anyone discovered if they were brother and sister? I am waiting for a birth cert to find out if they are children of my great great grandmother Hannah Wild.

Old posts we don't mind; they are just enquiries that are awaiting someone with an interest to liven them up once more. With a person registering an interest, some people, myself included might just be encouraged to look again at a topic i/we have no direct interest in and have forgotten about.

More old posts, say I !

William(Billie) Wilde & Florence Tuckwood were my maternal Grandparents.

They had 5 children, Florence, Rose, Nellie, Amy Hilda(my mother) & Joe the youngest. My grandmother died in 1925. I believe grandad died in 1940, both long before I was born.

Grandad was a streethawker selling fruit & vegetables. All my Aunts, mum & Uncle Joe were born in the South Kirkby area before returning back Sheffield.

I know very little of both of them, my mum was only 12yrs old when Grandma died.Grandma came from a large family, well known in the east end of Sheffield.

It is quite possible that Florence & Joseph were brother & sister, bearing in mind my Uncles name.

On ‎25‎/‎01‎/‎2010 at 09:09, Clarp said:

Have just read your post and it brought back some memories for me. My Grandad had friends named Tuckwood who lived on the Medlock estate at Handsworth in the 1970's. He's no longer with us I'm afraid but was born in 1915 and brought up on Mons Street, which is pretty close to Alfred Road and I think that this is where he would have known them from. I dont know the first names of Mr & Mrs Tuckwood (everyone was Mr & Mrs to me then, I don't think I realised older people actually had first names until I was about 10!), but they were about the same age as my Grandparents and really nice peoeple, they used to wave to us through the living room window every Friday night as we walked up the hill to the club. All our family lived down Attercliffe upto the mid 1970's and for the 150 years prior to that, we never seemed to be very far away. Not much info for your research I know, but stirred some happy memories and good to see others preserving their Attercliffe heritage.

Hi just been reading abut Tuckwoods yes they were a big family My late husband was the son of Florence Tuckwood and he had lots of aunties and uncles.The name of the people that lived on Medlock Handsworth was Joe and Anne,There are a lot of cousins still alive who are related to Tuckwood.one famous person is Sean Bean through his mom.