Fargate

mickjj

"I will end up writing the book myself."

Nice move blokie, I'm sure it will be a magnificent piece of work.

We'll help all we can ! My own memories of it are somewhat limited, since I was born in March 1962.

.......... or 3. i will end up having to write the book myself.

Well volunteered.

You just need to some spare time to write it

Now that answers a question

Well volunteered.

You just need to some spare time to write it

Now that answers a question

The question you are referring to I don't know the answer to myself yet.

Anyway, I didn't say I was going to write the book, I was merely pointing out that it is highly likely to ever get done in my lifetime (read my items 1. and 2. and not just 3.).

Don't think I would be any use at writing a book, who wants to read anything I've written?

It has to make money for some publisher somewhere you know.

Tozzin, get the people who run RETRO to get their act together for either the 11th February or the week after (18th).

What we want to see in the RETRO one one of those weeks is a big section called

THE 1962 SHEFFIELD GALE 50th ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL EDITION

With plenty of pictures and stories, - even a reprint of the original 1962 special suppliment.

I know that the RETRO already does a 25 years ago and 50 years ago section but this is usually quite small and of general / National issues rather than just Sheffield.

The '62 gale was a big event for Sheffield, something that many of us that lived through it have never forgotten.

It deserves a special RETRO coverage.

Ive sent this request to Paul License and suggested that an article could be written about the Sheffield History forum, I hope he takes note because this site should be given publicity.

Ive sent this request to Paul License and suggested that an article could be written about the Sheffield History forum, I hope he takes note because this site should be given publicity.

Thanks Tozzin, for both requests.

...and also for the mention you gave us yesterday in the RETRO with the piece you did using comments provided in this topic.

Gata now spelt Gate = a Lane or a Street

Or could it be from the word Gait meaning a way of moving the limbs when walking, and so often taken to mean a Walk

Far Street, Far Lane, Far Walk

They all mean pretty much the same thing don't they?

Or could it be from the word Gait meaning a way of moving the limbs when walking, and so often taken to mean a Walk

Far Street, Far Lane, Far Walk

They all mean pretty much the same thing don't they?

Steve's is the accepted version, but perhaps both gate=lane, road and gait=walking are both from the same root, gata?

Steve's is the accepted version, but perhaps both gate=lane, road and gait=walking are both from the same root, gata?

In Jazz, if some "Hepster" calls a player "gate", it means "they sure can swing" (i.e. play music with a heavily syncopated beat that alternately pulls and pushes the regular metronomic time beat). This is derived from the expression "swinging on a gate", a proper gate with a pair of hinges to allow it to swing.

How many different meanings and uses can we find for a relatively simple word like gate?

Some here

In Jazz, if some "Hepster" calls a player "gate", it means "they sure can swing" (i.e. play music with a heavily syncopated beat that alternately pulls and pushes the regular metronomic time beat). This is derived from the expression "swinging on a gate", a proper gate with a pair of hinges to allow it to swing.

How many different meanings and uses can we find for a relatively simple word like gate?

Loads of different uses of the word gate in lots of different contexts there.

Interestingly my use of the word picked up from Jazz is missing

Man, I gotta be hep to the jive! B) B)

Tozzin, get the people who run RETRO to get their act together for either the 11th February or the week after (18th).

What we want to see in the RETRO one one of those weeks is a big section called

THE 1962 SHEFFIELD GALE 50th ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL EDITION

With plenty of pictures and stories, - even a reprint of the original 1962 special suppliment.

I know that the RETRO already does a 25 years ago and 50 years ago section but this is usually quite small and of general / National issues rather than just Sheffield.

The '62 gale was a big event for Sheffield, something that many of us that lived through it have never forgotten.

It deserves a special RETRO coverage.

Seems Paul License took heed of my e-mail regarding your request, I cant wait to see it. I personally slept through the gale, I couldnt believe the destruction when I went to work the very next morning.

Seems Paul License took heed of my e-mail regarding your request, I cant wait to see it. I personally slept through the gale, I couldnt believe the destruction when I went to work the very next morning.

'The Star' reporter Ellen posted a request on here a few days ago,

Thanks tozzin, I have already emailed Ellen Beardmore telling her she can use any of my posted memories on Sheffield History.

I am certainly looking foreward to the final article being published, but if it's going in The Star other than on a Saturday I hope someone will let me know in advance so I can go out and buy it.

Thats right Paul told me had asked her.

So tozzin and Ellen Beardmore (Ellen1987) both work for The Star and are both members of Sheffield History.

How many other Star workers are in our ranks?

The more the better really as I am sure, as tozzin and myself both realise, there is scope for the two to work together here for the mutual benefit of both of us.

Thanks tozzin, I have already emailed Ellen Beardmore telling her she can use any of my posted memories on Sheffield History.

I am certainly looking foreward to the final article being published, but if it's going in The Star other than on a Saturday I hope someone will let me know in advance so I can go out and buy it.

I think the Star will have a lot of memories too if they would look through their back issues, it would be great.

So tozzin and Ellen Beardmore (Ellen1987) both work for The Star and are both members of Sheffield History.

How many other Star workers are in our ranks?

The more the better really as I am sure, as tozzin and myself both realise, there is scope for the two to work together here for the mutual benefit of both of us.

Please dont put me down as an employee of the Star, what I do for the RETRO is purely voluntary, I dont receive a penny piece for my efforts. Im just doing something that keeps my retirement busy. Prior to retirement I worked in the Cutlery trade for fifty years.

Please dont put me down as an employee of the Star, what I do for the RETRO is purely voluntary, I dont receive a penny piece for my efforts. Im just doing something that keeps my retirement busy. Prior to retirement I worked in the Cutlery trade for fifty years.

Sorry Tozzin, my mistake.

Still it's nice to know that Ellen is a member.

Nice piece she did on the Sheffield Gale in The Star today as well, with a promise of more to come in Saturdays Retro.

Many thanks to The Star, in particular to Ellen Beardmore and Paul Licence for the 2 articles they have produced for the 50th anniversary of the gale, one in Thursday nights Star on the exact anniversary and a longer one in todays Retro.

It means a lot to those of us who lived through it, experienced it first hand and still have many memories of it.

Can anyone remember the Fargate flower seller?

I wonder what his name was , does anyone remember seeing him.

This is an oil painting of him, done by a Sheffield artist.