Local Interest bids

RichardB

Yes it is a 'slightly more interesting map' so with respect to Richard and his maps, but with no disrespect to the members on here "you're all a fantastic bunch of people"

I have slapped a © on this one for the moment, while I wait for Richard to come to some sort of decision.

I'm sure you all know what I mean.

Well done !, I like the SheffieldHistory watermark, great idea.

They are "our" maps, I just "have" them, what does anyone else think ?

Can anyone confirm the 50 year copyright for OS maps ? I think we should be sure on that - there are maps up to the 80's which we will not scan, August 1958 we can be Happy with since it will take forever to scan and post 'em all.

I'd be interested in anyone else willing/able to scan at A3 ... please let me know, we'll work something out.

"Property of SheffieldHistory.Co.Uk"

that means they are ours which they are but we are not claiming copyright on them - the Copyright has "run out" - just a thought.

Next bit

Thanks Richard - I was able to see the house = 209 Bellhouse Rd where my Granddad was born in 1906!

"Property of SheffieldHistory.Co.Uk"

that means they are ours which they are but we are not claiming copyright on them - the Copyright has "run out" - just a thought.

I have posted Map 2 in the working area? do you still want the '©' on them?

If not I can put the 'sheffieldhistory.co.uk' over the center or in a couple of areas, let me know what would be best.

I have posted Map 2 in the working area? do you still want the '?' on them?

If not I can put the 'sheffieldhistory.co.uk' over the center or in a couple of areas, let me know what would be best.

Put SheffieldHistory.Co.Uk on 'em a couple of time please.

Pick up the "bits" from the working area; post the finished article in the Maps area, Ta. I've put Map 1 and Map 2 in there already.

Guest carlie167

A MASSIVE thanks to Richard and Steve, for all the effort they are putting in so we can all see the maps.

Im loving looking at them and cant believe the amount of factories and other works we had in the city centre!

Theyre also bringing back lots of memories for me, so thanks guys. :) :)

I'm away next week, so there will be a pause <Hides>

But, we will be back, once I start, just like the Pubs, we keep going - right or wrong - we just go ! If anyone else can help edit, resize,crop the map bits please speak to SteveHB - I could do it - but - I have a MASSIVE job on scanning and posting the stuff ...

Thank you carlie 167, and I hope you enjoy your break Richard, you can empty the scan/work bank if you want to now.

Out sometime tomorrow ...

:blink:

Thank you Carlie and Steve, interesting the Working area has more views than the proper area; that will change ....

We Happy with the Map5-001 of four, Map-002 of four, Map-003 of four etc type-thing ?

I have got all the bits of things that make up Map 01 to Map 06 on my pc:

12 bits of map = Map numbers 1, 3, 4 and 6, all merged together, (including the two blank bits) = 'One Huge' total JPEG (picture) file size of 17.3 Gigabyte at max resolution.

Maximum file upload size on here is 2 GB,

don't wory It's just an experiment ;-)

Anyone enjoying the Maps postings ? It's all gone a bit quiet ... generally four scans per map, two postings (Admin, can we have the old 8Mb limit back please ?).

Then four downloads and editing, cropping, rotating and "sticking back together" (highly technical description of the process there !) and a final posting.

We've managed 13 so far (Cheers for your help SteveHB, without it, I'd still be on Map 1); approximately "an awful lot" yet to go.

Please post comments/finds etc here (this will keep the Maps area clean and easy to read; I'm most proud of the cleanliness of the Pubs section, could have degenereated into a big mess - but it didn't) - it encourages us - honest.

As you all know Richard has been kind enough to submit his maps to the forum, and I put the bits together so we have a completed map of an area.

While for me stitching the bits together is not time consuming, I find it more of a task to check over the finished results for mistakes that 'I' may have made.

So it would be very much appreciated, that If you see any major faults on the finished maps please put a post on here explaining,

then I may be able to rectify the fault.

Please note, that i can't put bits back that were not on the originals.

Thanks, Steve.

Anyone know What this pavillioni type building at Highfield is, please .. was it some sort of farm ?

I will be logging out now .. lol

We have some more maps for your consideration. Check 'em out.

Thanks for the maps, Richard and Steve. In my search for buildings that were pubs the maps are brilliant. I have already found a couple of pubs which I will be posting next week.

If you're looking anyway, would you consider posting your finds - all or 'em.

For example, Dog and Partridge, Fishcake Street is on Map number 13.

or Map 17 contains the following :

Red Lion, Street Name

White Lion, Street Name

Castle Inn, Street Name

Brushmakers Fingernails, Street Name/near corner of Street Name

whichever format you can do.

If you could, we can update each Pub record with the map(s) associated with it.

Personally, I've not even had time to look at the Maps myself yet, I just decided I could have spent forever trying to sort them - or I could just get on and Post 'em (with Steve's valued help) - hope you think I made the right choice.

This was a best of class listing, RichardS is providing more Directory listings which will drive us further forward, a link from each Pub to the correct OS map would be a great addition to our knowledge.

Thanks in advance.

Would anyone on here be interested in helping out with putting 'area names' and 'a few road names' to the finished maps?

"It would be a great help If you could"

Thanks, Steve.

Would anyone on here be interested in helping out with putting 'area names' and 'a few road names' to the finished maps?

"It would be a great help If you could"

Thanks, Steve.

I found that most time consuming, and, of course, I'm tied up in doing the scans that start the process off.

Help, all round, would be appreciated.

12 bits of map = Map numbers 1, 3, 4 and 6, all merged together, (including the two blank bits) = 'One Huge' total JPEG (picture) file size of 17.3 Gigabyte at max resolution.

Maximum file upload size on here is 2 GB,

don't wory It's just an experiment ;-)

What were the 'ruins' on Arundel Gate ?

Does anyone know ?