Local Interest bids

RichardB

I think we are all bidding against each other.....I went from £1 up to £11 last night!

I'm current highest bidder ... any thoughts, lets not bid against each other, I'm bidding to keep it in Sheffield, so we can scan them and share.

Admin, you look like a strong bloke, get a bid in on this; only available for collection .... I'd have been on it like a shot, but, I'm not driving 280 miles round-trip for it ...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Approximately-150-OS...1QQcmdZViewItem

How about we PM each other, I'm willing to go to £76 and the goods stay in Sheffield. Any other top bids ?

If someone is willing to go beyond this, I'm happy to make a contribution so long as "we" get it and it stays in Sheffield.

I'll not bid again.

I thought at first that, given the distance you wernt bidding you see.

Thought I'd chuck a cheeky tenner at it just to see if I won them.

If you do get them and need them picking up..let me know..when we next come to Durham to visit my family I can bring them up for you.

Booooo - just bid £15 and got outbid straight away

That's why I wanted you to get in touch ... Buffoon lol

I'll not bid again.

I thought at first that, given the distance you wernt bidding you see.

Thought I'd chuck a cheeky tenner at it just to see if I won them.

If you do get them and need them picking up..let me know..when we next come to Durham to visit my family I can bring them up for you.

Offer of a pickup much appreciated. Even if it's just a pickup. I have £75 birthday money burning a hole in my pocket, which is why I don't mind leading the bidding. If memory serves (I don't do much eBaying) it's not early bidding that matters, just the last five minutes.

Offer of a pickup much appreciated. Even if it's just a pickup. I have £75 birthday money burning a hole in my pocket, which is why I don't mind leading the bidding. If memory serves (I don't do much eBaying) it's not early bidding that matters, just the last five minutes.

Actually it's the last thirty seconds that count.

Actually it's the last thirty seconds that count.

Indeed, more of that closer to the time when we know the price. Let's spread our bets - nearer to the time, much nearer.

Not confident of winning this, I'm no eBay expert, my 3 lifetime winning bids show that lol

Still 20 hours to go, I'm outbid at the moment; given that, in my limited experience you can pledge your home, car, stamp collection, car(s), pension and the cats dinner - you're only going to be outbid with 23 seconds to go ...

Anyone got any tips ?

well done! I guess you now have the ebay fever!! we won't see you on here as much then ;-)

I lok every week, have done for years; I'm patient, this was my 4th purchase - Birthday money burning a hole in my pocket ....

I lok every week, have done for years; I'm patient, this was my 4th purchase - Birthday money burning a hole in my pocket ....

I would have thought it was burning in your wifes pocket lol!

The maps are within our control, they have been picked up.

----------------- PM -----------

RichardB

Cheers, you look through 'em. Copy whatever you want, scan bits if you wish. Don't be shy.

Thank you very much.

Check out the new "Pinned" section in the Pubs section ....

------------------------------

Jason

I didnt think you would mind...had to have a peep...it was killing me.

There is a list. Each Map has a number written on the top corner.... they are not in any order...and the list is (I'm guessing not complete...there are more maps than entries).

When you get then you'll have a bit of work to do sorting them out.

They look to cover almost all of Sheffield...mostly dated 1930 (some are from the 50's and 70's)

There are a couple of ringers in there too from Chesterfield, Barnsley and one from down south.

The box is a bit tatty but sound and it is a lot larger than it looks in the photo.

I'm on call tonight and bound to be out in a bit, but tomorrow I'll pop a couple of shots on here for you then seal them up and put them under the stairs 'til needed.

I think you were right. These have to be saved intact. If you hadn't got them someone would have broke them up and sold them off all over the City and they woud have been lost forever!!

J.

-----------------

RichardB

You "fill yer boots", none of this "under the stairs" nonsense.

I saw them, I had a few quid going spare (though it got close), not even sure they will ever make it "up here", they might end up with the Sheffield Archives (that'll be my choice), but, they will remain together, as a whole.

Till then, open, explore, scan, print, extract, post ... print the listing even though it's not complete.

The "Sheffield" in me says these belong in Sheffield even though I've bought 'em, I could just as well have been an American dealer in old maps looking to buy 'em for £1 each and to sell 'em for £2.50 each - I'm not that Man.

If they "head up North" they may as well have gone to California.

We'll make enquiries about getting them scanned - wherever and whoever gets to do that.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RichardB ....

Right SheffieldHistory we have a resource, I bought it, Happy Belated Birthday to me, now, what do we do with it ?

Anyone capable/willing to scan a big load of maps ?

I don't need to own them, or possess them, I just saw them and thought it would be a shame to see them broken up. Any scanning offers ? Maybe bigger than A3 ... don't know, maybe Jason can let us know.

Jason, for God's sake, break the buggers open and get on with it he he