Wierd Spoons

Guest RogerO

Guest RogerO

I would be very grateful if anyone could help identify / explain these stange spoons! Like the common coffee spoons that have a coffee bean at the top of the handle shaft - these have instead a red rubber bulb shape (cherry?) which are now hardened and cracked. but the wierdest thing is that the tips of the bowls are turned up - this hasn't just been done with a pair of pliers! They were clearly made like this - but why? for what purpose?

Doe's anyone have any ideas? An explaination?

Guest Smiling-Knife

Hi RogerO. Those are very interesting spoon. Sorry I don't know anything about them but I am hoping someone will post the answer. I'd like to learn more about them too.

Could it be that they were made by the Master Cutlers for the Master Tunnelers who in a four week period some time in the late 1500's produced 847 tunnels all radiating from the ruins of the Manor castle. Some of these tunnels ended in the City center and those which did were used predominantly by the makers of Hendersons Relish to get their product out when it snowed.

I think the rubber 'Cherry' on the end was used to soften the blow when one tunneller would tap the bloke in front to tell him it was his turn to 'mash'

They were far ahead of their time...a bit like the Leatherman of their day....they were a digging tool....and communication device and also a decorative thing ( many tunnellers would wear then like ear rings too!!)

The last time they were used was in the production of the Hole in the Road, which was a little known and very unpopular area of the City, used for storing fish tanks and people selling cheap lighters.

I think all of the above is true

Guest RogerO

Could it be that they were made by the Master Cutlers for the Master Tunnelers who in a four week period some time in the late 1500's produced 847 tunnels all radiating from the ruins of the Manor castle. Some of these tunnels ended in the City center and those which did were used predominantly by the makers of Hendersons Relish to get their product out when it snowed.

I think the rubber 'Cherry' on the end was used to soften the blow when one tunneller would tap the bloke in front to tell him it was his turn to 'mash'

They were far ahead of their time...a bit like the Leatherman of their day....they were a digging tool....and comunication device and also a decorative thing ( many tunnellers would wear then like ear rings too!!)

The last time they were used was in the production of the Hole in the Road, which was a little known and very unpopular area of the City, used for stroing fish tanks and people selling cheap lighters.

I think all of the above is true

Exactly what I thought RogerO. Speechless. HJDary have you been partaking in the falling down water. lolhe he lol

Guest lazarus

Exactly what I thought RogerO. Speechless. HJDary have you been partaking in the falling down water. lolhe helol

I doubt very much that these were made in Sheffield simply because of the made in GREAT BRITAIN mark, these have been made for a specific purpose for a specific customer. Could they be a coffee measure? or making some kind of substance IE. food into a ball shape.