1861 Pubs

RichardB

Guest Tracey

My ancestor William Bertie was a Beerhouse Keeper & Gilder on the 1861 census, the address is: 38 Frenchgate & the beerhouse is "Rose & Crown" Doncaster, Sheffield if this is of any help. Another ancestor Lawrence Bertie was a Carver & Gilder & Beerhouse Keeper the same year, address 14 Peel St Barnsley Sheffield but no beerhouse name. I did find him on this site in 1854 as a beerhouse keeper.

Kind regards, Tracey.

Guest JACKW

Bee Hive Dykes Hall Road is a pub of the 1930s.

The original Bee Hive was on Far Lane where a group of shops now stand.

Guest whatever

Regarding LOCAL FIELD TAVERN. My mum was born there 1930. It was kept by her Grandad Ernest Oxley. I have been trying for years to obtain a photo of it.

Hello

Not sure if it's of any help but whilst doing some genealogy i noticed that one of my relatives, George Arthur Pearson was the Publican at the Waterman's Rest, 3 Sussex Street, in 1881.

Cath x

*Sorry, just realised this is the 1861 thread :S*

No problem, I have Waterman's Rest (Beerhouse), 1 Sussex Street - so I've gained 2 on the Street address (always varying) and a middle name for George - keep the updates coming and the notifications of duplicates please.

Original statement :

I've worked on these for 15 months, there are errors/duplicates, I just figured if I didn't post 'em now, I'd spend the rest of my life fiddling with the list - better to put the information out and invite constructive criticism.

Particularly, Pubs like Ball, Sportsman, Barrel, Red/Green/Blue/Pink Lion, Castle with common names have a great chance of duplicates - any help gratefully appreciated - it's not a personal attack or an insult - if you find 'em, please let me know.

I'm currently hitting new detail about once every three weeks but I'm continuing; it's a long slog.

Cheers to Dunsbyowl for the picture updates; as ever a modern pub keeper (like today) is as much help as someone from 1827.

Is the a modern Victuallers' Association I can get a list of Landlords/Ladies from ?

On 12/03/2008 at 12:39, RichardB said:

Can't place these (below) at present, still working on Beerhouses with no name

not named Ecclesfield Common Enoch MORRELL publican

not named Cowley Hill, Chapeltown Thomas MYERS woodman & publican

not named Hesley Lane Luke ARMFIELD coal miner & beer house keeper

Thomas Myers beer-house was the Travellers Rest, Luke Armfield was the Miners Arms Thorpe Hesley and Enoch Morrell was at the Arundel Inn, Ecclesfield Common.

Enoch Morrell was born on 6th August 1807 at Ecclesfield son of John, and died on 12th February 1865 at Ecclesfield aged 59.  In 1841 he was an Agricultural Labourer living on Ecclesfield Common with his wife Harriett, and children Hannah 5 and Alfred 1.  By 1851 he was a twine maker at Jackson lane Ecclesfield with wife Harriett, daughter Hannah, son Alfred and lodger Thomas Ellis also a Twine Maker.  During the 1850s Enoch branched out into the beer trade, and by 1861 his main occupation was as a publican at Ecclesfield Common, with wife Harriett and son Alfred, a file grinder.

His daughter Hannah (baptised 17th September 1837), married Thomas Ellis the roper, who had been working with her father Enoch. They married at Rotherham on 1st May 1853.

Enoch applied for a spirits licence in 1859 and 1860 without success, as the Travellers at the other end of the Common opposed his licence application. The 1859 application was reported in the newspaper as being for the Army Hotel, but this may have been an error by the reporter. During his application in 1861 his solicitor stated that “the house, which had been built by the applicant, was the most commodious and well-adapted building for a public-house in the parish of Ecclesfield. There was stabling for eight horses, and a large space of ground separate from the highway in front of the house, besides a large yard at the back”.  Mr Beardshaw of the Travellers Rest contended that Mr Morrell was incompetent to take the management of the house, which was being conducted by a convicted poacher named Ellis. It was explained that Ellis was the son-in-law of Mr Morrell.  The application was again refused.

In January 1862 my GGG-grandfather, William Wilkinson, a fork maker of Butterthwaite Wheel, testified in the trial of Joseph Wareham Ashton, a moulder, accused of highway robbery in Dog Leg Lane, not far from the Arundel. The victim had been in the Arundel during the afternoon, along with the alleged robber, to which Morrell testified. William Wilkinson had gone to the Arundel on Monday 23rd December at half-past seven and had seen the accused, who left at half-past ten, in time to commit the robbery. Mr Wilkinson left at eleven at chucking out time. Ashton was eventually acquitted by a Crown Court jury.

After Enoch Morrell’s death, Thomas Ellis took over the Arundel’s licence and in May 1867 hosted an auction of the leasehold properties left in Enoch’s will.  These were six houses on Hesley Lane at Thorpe Hesley and the Miners Arms at Thorpe Hesley together with four attached houses. (In 1861 Luke Armfield, a coal miner from Wombwell was keeping this beerhouse)

In June 1870 Thomas Ellis was still landlord of the Arundel Inn, fined 20s. for allowing customers to play dominoes for beer. On 17th November 1870 Thomas died aged 41.  In October 1871 Thos Rawson and Co, Brewers advertised the Arundel Inn to be let. On 19th January 1873 Hannah Ellis, Thomas’ widow, remarried to Joe Marsden, a miner of West Bar in Sheffield.

Some later licencees of the Arundel Inn:

Edwin Pepper (born 1833) had the Salutation Inn on Holbrook Lane / Wortley Road, High Green from 1887 to 1900.  In 1891 his son Arthur Edward Pepper  (born 1867) was a painter, before marrying Mary Jane Pepper nee Cooke in Q1 1895 and taking on the Arundel Inn on Ecclesfield Common. Arthur Edward Pepper (1867) died on 14th March 1916 aged 48, and his widow Mary Jane Pepper died on 14th June 1946 at the Arundel Inn.

On 19th April 1927 Mary Jane Pepper aged 26, of the Arundel Inn (daughter of Arthur Edward Pepper  Innkeeper) married Arthur Nugent 30, engineer of 47 Horninglow Road. Arthur Nugent died in Q3 1956 – his son Peter married in Q3 1956 and his new wife came to live at the pub – but found she was expected to work there, which was not to her liking, so they moved to Greystones, becoming neighbours and friends of my family. Peter’s eldest daughter currently runs the Mount Pleasant on Derbyshire Lane.

Mary Jane Nugent (nee Pepper), widow died 1st December 1969 at the Arundel Inn.

Arthur Edward junior (baptised on 3rd April 1895) On 27th March Arthur Edward (junior) , a butcher living at the Arundel, married Vera Wetherall, daughter of James Wetherall of the Wagon and Horses at Chapeltown. He died at 95 The Common, Ecclesfield

The Pub Index for the Arundel Inn / Arms is here: