Sheffield tram and bus routes

neddy

I saw a map of Durham once with the word Showing spelt Shewing and always thought it was just a spelling mistake..but looking at the map above, I guess we must have changed the way we spell that word.

I saw a map of Durham once with the word Showing spelt Shewing and always thought it was just a spelling mistake..but looking at the map above, I guess we must have changed the way we spell that word.

What a fabulous map: I have a feeling that it dates from 1924/5, on the basis that the Wadsley Bridge tram extension (opened from Parkside Road to Wadsley Bridge) opened in April 1924, and the Petre Street tram route closed in April 1925.

Also of note is that none of the bus routes shewn entered the City Centre - all terminated at the tram terminus and through passengers had to change. direct buses to the City Centre on some routes, such as that to Chesterfield began in 1925.

Shew is an archaic form of show, much loved by George Bernard Shaw and railways in particular long after it had fallen from general use. It lingered for some time in some places, as shewn here: Aldershot & District Dennis Lance 145 dating from 1950 and restored with original signage